Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 12:22:07 am

Author Topic: Yesh’s random journey to the Rose coloured life 🌾🌷  (Read 2404 times)

yesh.weerakkody

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +17
Yesh’s random journey to the Rose coloured life 🌾🌷
« on: December 09, 2019, 01:08:19 pm »
+14
Heyo... the time has come for me to succumb myself to the epitome of procrastination hidden behind a thin veil of “trying to find motivation” aka vce journal. I have been stal- *cough* reading, I mean reading a lot of journals, I thought I should also do a favour for my fellow stalkers out there by providing more content to stalk ;D
Okay, anyway so... I completed year 10 this year (AYO FELLOW ‘21ers) and now on school holidays. Honestly, I don’t have much planned aside from binging some anime and reading some books.
I am an anime fan (aka an intellectual haha jks ::) hence the name rose coloured life from hyouka 💜. I also dabble in some Kpop, although, haven’t listened to much recently. I also loved to read (I read like the entire series of Sherlock Holmes when I was 7 so fITE me- weird flex, but ok), but haven’t been reading that much aside from sporadic instances of reading three books in a week hehe.
I have a habit of being very inconsistent with everything which I’m trying to improve but we’ll see. I’ll give a brief overview my opinions on the subjects that I’m doing next year.

1) Bio: since this is my only 3/4 subject I’m nervous since the amount of content was a big jump from units 1 and 2, plus the competition. For the end of year exam I got a decent mark but I feel slightly disappointed since the mark could have been better but tbh I knew it was going to be average as soon as I started the exam. I have this tendency to compare against other people which I know isn’t the best for my mental health and the mark was another reminder that I have to work harder - but at the end of the day I should compare my progress against myself and not others... but I have to work on this.

2) English: This year English was a pretty bad start - by that I mean very bad (the oral presentation was :-X) but I think I slowly build myself from up there. The exam for this semester was on comparative, which is not my strongest suit but I managed to get an dead on average mark haha. I wanted to do maybe literature but our school doesn’t offer that so English it is. I think I can manage this subject as long as I keep up with the workload. We are doing creative at the start of next year and I already handed in my rough draft so I’m feeling satisfied with my work so far.

3) Chem: Our school offered an elective this year (year 10 Chem and physics) but I didn’t do it since I was scared of physics and I regretted that when we started commencement. But, now I think I’m okay now since I realised that the prior knowledge we have on a subject doesn’t really matter a whole lot as long as you have a strong understanding by the end. Also, the teacher is nice.

4) Psych: tbh this is pretty fun and the content so far seems purely on memorisation so not too bad for me. I did the elective for this subject this year and there seems to be a lot of overlap which is easier I guess. I also did pretty well on the exam so yayy. I did want to do 3/4 for this subject tho, but the teacher said that doing two science subjects is hard (while there are other people doing two science subjects... loll.) This is a pretty good indication that I have to do better and wow them away but from experience I know this is unlikely.

5) Sinhala: I am debating on whether or not asking my teacher if I can do the 3/4 for this next year since it’s my mother tongue. In my honest opinion, I think I’ll do better since there’s only one more subject to balance compared to 4 more but who knows. Aiming for a 45+ in this one.

6) Methods: ahhh methods, you love to frick me up when I need you the most don’t you? My exam was pretty good I think (was still disappointed tho cos COMPARING IS FUNN!1!1!) but then we had a progress test... I wouldn’t say I’m the strongest maths student but I thought I was decent. Lo and behold I was below the average ahahaha yayayaya.(I didn’t even have to make it sound bad with this one, it already was :)) oh well... I realised that the reason why I got a lot wrong was because even though I knew how to do the method.. I didn’t understand the whys and other nitty gritty stuff... oh well I’m planning on improving.

Also another disappointment this year: I didn’t get an invitation for the presentation night :( maybe next year I guess.

Ahh wow... this turned out to be longer than I planned... sorry and good luck on your holidays friends!!
« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 01:24:07 pm by yesh.weerakkody »
Do you very best, and nothing less!

2020-21: 95.05 - psych (43), bio (40) & LOTE (40)
2022-25: BSciAdvResearch(Hons)

pm me if you're interested in biology tutoring!

ashmi

• MOTM: June 20
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Living an illusion
  • Respect: +660
Re: Yesh’s random journey to the Rose coloured life 🌾🌷
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2019, 01:43:46 pm »
+5
Heyo... the time has come for me to succumb myself to the epitome of procrastination hidden behind a thin veil of “trying to find motivation” aka vce journal. I have been stal- *cough* reading, I mean reading a lot of journals, I thought I should also do a favour for my fellow stalkers out there by providing more content to stalk ;D
Okay, anyway so... I completed year 10 this year (AYO FELLOW ‘21ers) and is now on school holidays. Honestly, I don’t have much planned aside from binging some anime and reading some books.
I am an anime fan (aka an intellectual haha jks ::) hence the name rose coloured life from hyouka 💜. I also dabble in some Kpop, although, haven’t listened to much recently. I also loved to read (I read like the entire series of Sherlock Holmes when I was 7 so fITE me- weird flex, but ok), but haven’t been reading that much aside from sporadic instances of reading three books in a week hehe.
I have a habit of being very inconsistent with everything which I’m trying to improve but we’ll see. I’ll give a brief overview my opinions on the subjects that I’m doing next year.

1) Bio: since this is my only 3/4 subject I’m nervous since the amount of content was a big jump from units 1 and 2, plus the competition. For the end of year exam I got a decent mark but I feel slightly disappointed since the mark could have been better but tbh I knew it was going to be average as soon as I started the exam. I have this tendency to compare against other people which I know isn’t the best for my mental health and the mark was another reminder that I have to work harder - but at the end of the day I should compare my progress against myself and not others... but I have to work on this.

2) English: This year English was a pretty bad start - by that I mean very bad (the oral presentation was :-X) but I think I slowly build myself from up there. The exam for this semester was on comparative, which is not my strongest suit but I managed to get an dead on average mark haha. I wanted to do maybe literature but our school doesn’t offer that so English it is. I think I can manage this subject as long as I keep up with the workload. We are doing creative at the start of next year and I already handed in my rough draft so I’m feeling satisfied with my work so far.

3) Chem: Our school offered an elective this year (year 10 Chem and physics) but I didn’t do it since I was scared of physics and I regretted that when we started commencement. But, not I think I’m okay now since I realised that the prior knowledge we have on a subject doesn’t really matter a whole lot as long as you have a strong understanding by the end. Also, the teacher is nice.

4) Psych: tbh this is pretty fun and the content so far seems purely on memorisation so not too bad for me. I did the elective for this subject this year and there seems to be a lot of overlap which is easier I guess. I also did pretty well on the exam so yayy. I did want to do 3/4 for this subject tho, but the teacher said that doing two science subjects is hard (while there are other people doing two science subjects... loll.) This is a pretty good indication that I have to do better and wow them away but from experience I know this is unlikely.

5) Sinhala: I am debating on whether or not asking my teacher if I can do the 3/4 for this next year since it’s my mother tongue. In my honest opinion, I think I’ll do better since there’s only one more subject to balance compared to 4 more but who knows. Aiming for a 45+ in this one.

6) Methods: ahhh methods, you love to frick me up when I need you the most don’t you? My exam was pretty good I think (was still disappointed tho cos COMPARING IS FUNN!1!1!) but then we had a progress test... I wouldn’t say I’m the strongest maths student even but I thought I was decent. Lo and behold I was below the average ahahaha yayayaya.(I didn’t even have to make it sound bad with this one, it already was :)) oh well... I realised that the reason why I got a lot wrong was because even though I knew how to do the method.. I didn’t understand the whys and other nitty gritty stuff... oh well I’m planning on improving.

Also another disappointment this year: I didn’t get an invitation for the presentation night :( maybe next year I guess.

Ahh wow... this turned out to be longer than I planned... sorry and good luck on your holidays friends!!

So good to see another journal! (Don't worry I've been stalking other people's journals too). Great to see another anime fan too! I absolutely love Hyouka, the animation and storyline are beautiful. I'm looking forward to seeing more posts in this journal. ;D

What do you think is your favourite subject? Sounds like you have an awesome mixed bag of subjects! 8)

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2019, 02:15:53 pm »
+5
Aside from Sinhala and English the rest of my subjects were the same :)
(I did physics and Literature going into year 11)

I loved studying bio a year early & I hope you have as good an experience of that as I did. I think there's something very reassuring about doing 3/4 early before you're thrown into year 12. Often year 11 students do better in their 3/4s than the year 12s so that reinforces not worrying about the competition too much (definitely easier said than done).

Units 1&2 chemistry was a fair bit of a jump from the general science subject I did in year 10. Imo if you're worried about chem I'd look at some of the many resources available online to learn stoichiometry as this becomes very important and is something that can trip people up a bit.

Do you have any idea of what you might want to do after highschool?

Hope you have a great holidays!

yesh.weerakkody

• Trailblazer
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2019, 04:14:07 pm »
+4
So good to see another journal! (Don't worry I've been stalking other people's journals too). Great to see another anime fan too! I absolutely love Hyouka, the animation and storyline are beautiful. I'm looking forward to seeing more posts in this journal. ;D

What do you think is your favourite subject? Sounds like you have an awesome mixed bag of subjects! 8)
Ahhh thank you, thank you. Ahhh IKR hyouka is sososo amazing, the characters are so relatable and real! I’ve been stalking -and loving- your journal too hehe the designs and the art thingies you make look so damn good!
I think my favourite subject is bio since like it adds a little bit more insight into life I guess :D but psych is also up there since it’s so interesting.

Aside from Sinhala and English the rest of my subjects were the same :)
(I did physics and Literature going into year 11)

I loved studying bio a year early & I hope you have as good an experience of that as I did. I think there's something very reassuring about doing 3/4 early before you're thrown into year 12. Often year 11 students do better in their 3/4s than the year 12s so that reinforces not worrying about the competition too much (definitely easier said than done).

Units 1&2 chemistry was a fair bit of a jump from the general science subject I did in year 10. Imo if you're worried about chem I'd look at some of the many resources available online to learn stoichiometry as this becomes very important and is something that can trip people up a bit.

Do you have any idea of what you might want to do after highschool?

Hope you have a great holidays!
Ooh thank you for the advice, I haven’t been looking at resources yet we’re still doing basic stuff but I’ll definitely check out stoichiometry! -wow what a fancy word-. Also, yesss I love bio so much and I’m also thankful that I’m doing it this year since I would prob suffer a lot if I did it in year 12. And you’re right the thing about less pressure in Year 11, it’s just that the year 11s who are doing bio are also very competitive which just makes me nervous I guess. Honestly tho, I’m not too worried in the grand scheme of things since I’m the only one who truly decide how well I do on a subject so what’s the point right?
I wanted to be a vet when I was younger but now I’ve broadened it to something in the science field, so who knows... In terms of degrees, my no. 1 preference would be a double degree in science and arts, with a major in anthropology! ;D

yesh.weerakkody

• Trailblazer
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2019, 07:04:52 pm »
+1
Hi! So interesting to see your journal pop up. I cant wait to hear your future updates! Sinhala is also my mother tongue, but I cant do much more than understand it and speak brief sentences - I'll never understand how to write it lol.

How are you feeling about doing it as a subject?

You should be fine with Chem - if you do a bit of light reading over the holidays it souldnt be toooooo bad.

Have a nice holiday!
Heyo! ANOTHER SRI LANKAN PERSON... THIS CANT BE!!! MY ELABORATE PLAN TO BE THE ONLY SL PERSON HAS FAILED!1!1! ;). Lolol anyway thank you for reading! Yee Sinhala can be a bit of a oof sometimes... too many letters for no reason and too many weird sounds haha but I’m finding the subject alright actually. I migrated here when I was older which is prob why.. And yes I definitely will look over to save any second hand embarrassment hehe. Also, I love your journal keep up the good work! ;D
« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 12:11:31 am by yesh.weerakkody »

Snow Leopard

• MOTM: SEP 19
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2019, 02:45:23 pm »
+3
Hey yesh,
How have your holidays been so far?

yesh.weerakkody

• Trailblazer
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2020, 09:31:02 pm »
+1
Hey yesh,
How have your holidays been so far?
Heyoo!! Ahh the holidays have been really good so far, even though school will start in like 2 days.. How was yours??

Snow Leopard

• MOTM: SEP 19
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2020, 09:36:27 pm »
+3
Heyoo!! Ahh the holidays have been really good so far, even though school will start in like 2 days.. How was yours??
Not bad. I still have a lot of holiday HW to do though! Do you feel ready for school?

yesh.weerakkody

• Trailblazer
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2020, 10:24:17 pm »
+3
Not bad. I still have a lot of holiday HW to do though! Do you feel ready for school?
Ahh yep yep... hehe sorry I’m always late at replying. School work is really taking a lot of time. How has school been for you so far??