Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 17, 2024, 07:27:36 am

Author Topic: Should I do Unit 3/4 Bio and Psych in Yr 11??  (Read 1542 times)  Share 

hello world

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Should I do Unit 3/4 Bio and Psych in Yr 11??
« on: August 11, 2019, 03:31:00 pm »
+1
Hey everyone!!!
I'm in yr 10 and I was thinking about the subjects that I should do for VCE. I'm doing VCE unit 1 bio right now and i'm actually enjoying it and getting decent scores. I'm thinking to do unit 3/4 Bio and unit 3/4 psych next yr but I'm not sure if this is a good idea. I've heard that psych has a lot of content and i don't know if it is suitable to do it along side bio 3/4 which is also content-based. Would the workload of the two subjects be manageable (considering that i want to do methods, spec, chem and eng lang in yr 12) and if it's a good idea to do 3/4 psych without having done the 1/2?
Your help/advice would be much appreciated  :D
Thank you!!!!

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Re: Should I do Unit 3/4 Bio and Psych in Yr 11??
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2019, 08:18:03 am »
Doing psych 3&4 without 1&2 is pretty common as it's a relatively easy subject to pick up without 1&2. Hmm... if it was me the workload of both at the same time wouldn't be too bad so hopefully it's the same for you. Psych is pretty similar to bio in terms of fire much content there is but for me that didn't mean I was spending a lot of time memorising.

ashmi

• MOTM: June 20
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Living an illusion
  • Respect: +660
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2019, 08:33:11 am »
+2
Hey everyone!!!
I'm in yr 10 and I was thinking about the subjects that I should do for VCE. I'm doing VCE unit 1 bio right now and i'm actually enjoying it and getting decent scores. I'm thinking to do unit 3/4 Bio and unit 3/4 psych next yr but I'm not sure if this is a good idea. I've heard that psych has a lot of content and i don't know if it is suitable to do it along side bio 3/4 which is also content-based. Would the workload of the two subjects be manageable (considering that i want to do methods, spec, chem and eng lang in yr 12) and if it's a good idea to do 3/4 psych without having done the 1/2?
Thank you!!!!

The workload may be a bit challenging but it is definitely possible! I actually have friends that are currently doing both Bio and Psych 3/4 in Year 11 and they say there is quite a bit of time spend memorising content. It is a good choice to do in Year 11 and you most likely will have friends in those subjects that you can work together with. Psych is quite popular to pick up without a 1/2 so you should be alright. Compared to subjects like History Revs, the memorising and understanding part shouldn't be too bad. Just keep yourself very organised throughout the year and you should be fine! :D

Stormbreaker-X

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +31
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2019, 08:39:10 am »
You should do biology because it's more useful than psy. But if you want to do psy that isn't a problem either.

Rameen

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2019, 09:21:22 am »
Hey everyone!!!
Thank you!!!!

Hi!
I'm currently studying 3/4 Bio in year 11 and I'm really enjoying it! Since you like it too, I would definitely recommend continuing it next year. With regards to psych, yes it does require a lot of memorisation whereas bio is focused more on applying the concepts you have learnt. If you are a diligent student and are committed enough to dedicate a lot of time to bio and psych then go for it! :)

dashnog

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2019, 05:46:55 pm »
I'm a Year 11 studying both Psych and Bio accelerated.

I joined the U2 Bio class mid-way last year because it took me 6 months to convince the faculty to let me accelerate two subjects. Better late than never, I suppose. Bio is far harder than psych in terms of raw content to remember, and I am doing significantly worse in Bio compared to psych last year, and especially this year.

Psych is quite an easy and fun subject compared to Bio for me, since the content although still possibly reasonably heavy, it makes far more logical sense in my head to memorise and I'm personally invested in the field of psychology for personal reasons, which helps with motivation.

If you want advice, take these points:
a) It is doable. Accelerating Psych and Bio works fine. Some content you will learn in Psych actually translates to Bio and vice versa (e.g. neurons, neurotransmitters, Na+ and K+ ion channels)
b) If you're like me, you'll find psych easier than Bio and Bio may or may not kick you up the backside for how unintuitive it can be to revise compared to psychology.

Your experience may vary, my experience could merely just be due to other circumstances around myself and my school's teachers, or it could be applicable as well. Just be careful with what you pick.
Bachelor of Biomedical Science (Scholar's Program) at Monash (2021-2023)

ATAR: 94.XX
2019: VCE Biology & VCE Psychology
2020: VCE Extended Investigation, Chemistry, Music Performance, Methods, Literature