Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 10:58:32 pm

Author Topic: Gotta Go Fast - Poet's Running Journal.  (Read 28365 times)

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
Re: Gotta Go Fast - Poet's Running Journal.
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2020, 12:33:43 pm »
+6
Amazing work Poet, keep it up!! 💕
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2020, 03:59:42 pm »
+7
!!!

Congrats!

Really nice work, proud of your dedication & it's great to see you powering through your goals

you are absolutely welcome, as always

Owlbird83

• BLAA 2020
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +785
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2020, 07:28:57 pm »
+4
Ahhhh that's so exciting!!! Good job!!!!

You are inspiring me to be more active!!!

Good luck!!  ;D ;D
2018: Biology
2019: Chemistry, Physics, Math Methods, English, Japanese
2020: Bachelor of Psychology (Monash)

Poet

• MOTM: JUN 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
  • Respect: +2790
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2020, 11:58:58 am »
+15
Hi again!

I should have updated earlier but I've been feeling very sad and self-hatey and slept most of yesterday and this morning so I didn't say what I did.
Erutepa physically pulled me out of bed to go to training yesterday afternoon and I cried a bit but we got to the track and I did a 1.5km warmup before running a fast 800m (going at a pace of around 5 minutes 10 seconds/km) and a moderately quick 400m (at about a 5.20/km pace) before doing a bit of a recovery and a jog about. Really wasn't feeling good mentally or physically and so I basically walked around the track a couple of times as a cool down and sat down and didn't talk to anyone. I'm quite shy and afraid of being judged but so far the squad has been nice and I ran with one girl on my 800 and 400 who has been very kind and welcoming. Unfortunately she's leaving for Adelaide soon but she's helped a little with my confidence.

This Thursday I think I'll do strength exercises in lieu of running a lot. I'm really, really uncomfortable with the idea of running in my area so I'll try to do 20 minutes of aerobics and see if my hamstrings don't break. Depression is really kicking my ass at the moment and I'm just generally dejected and mad at myself, also I'm working a roadie gig on Saturday instead of running Parkrun, so I'll do a harder run at the You Yangs on Sunday to make up for it.

Vincit Qui Se Vincit.
Thoughts are only thoughts.
They are not you. You do belong to yourself,
even when your thoughts don't.

Dealing with Year 12 - Put Your Mental Health at the Forefront
A Little Guide to Healthy Eating

Poet

• Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2020, 04:17:19 pm »
+12
Hello, I'm back.

I've been somewhat sick over the past few days (sore throat, lots of nausea, body cramps, heaps of fatigue, very depressed) and so haven't trained/run at all with the exception of yesterday. Last Thursday I attempted a strength session but a third of the way through my body said "NOPE" and I ended up in bed with severe cramps for the rest of the day, then struggled with them and nausea for the next four days after that. Nausea has continued and I haven't been eating well because of it, but cramps have improved by now. On Sunday I was still really struggling so instead of a run I went for a 4km walk with Erutepa's mum (she's basically my mum now so from now on if I just say 'mum' it means Erutepa's mum) around the mountains and took pictures. We saw a rock wallaby so y e y : )))))))

Yesterday I tried to go out for a run and managed about 15 minutes of running time total. I would run for about 2-3 minutes at a time then walk until I felt I could run again. I was finding it hard to breathe though so I went home and did some rolling (not literally rolling around the house, I mean muscle rolling with foam rollers), had a shower, fell asleep (again) and tried to forget how much of a failure I am.

Tangent --> OmG my cat just stepped on the keyboard and opened an EMOJIS OPTION WTF I DIDN'T EVEN KNOW I COULD DO THAT LMAO 😍👌🙀✨✨

Not entirely sure what my plan is for the next few days but I think I'll just feel it out and make sure my body is doing ok. I never want to push it too hard but it is very frustrating to watch myself go downhill and not do anything about it. I haven't even left my room today - haven't had anything to drink or eat. My body just doesn't want it. I'm going out on Saturday and maybe Sunday, so I'll try to run on one of those days. If I end up feeling good enough for Parkrun, I doubt I'll beat my time but it's just a matter of picking myself back up from this again. I'm very numb right now and I say these things that sound positive but it's all just flat.

Hope you're all well and thank you for being here. I'm sorry I'm not around enough anymore but I really do love this place.

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2020, 05:29:31 pm »
+6
Hey,

Thanks for updating us :)

Sucks about the cramps & nausea - I hope that you're find it easier to eat and are feeling better soon. Having points where you struggle definitely doesn't make you a failure and you don't need to apologise. Glad you love this place :)

Sounds like a nice walk :) Also, thank you for clarifying rolling because I definitely would've been confused otherwise.

Poet

• Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2020, 07:25:15 pm »
+12
Heyo I have returned!

Still feeling super duper down and useless but I need to update everyone on my Saturday. I made myself eat and drink more on Friday to build up energy/compensate for the lack of food I'd had over the last few days so I felt a bit better going into the next day.
Yesterday I got up early and went to Parkrun. My aim was to do a walk/run and not push myself too much so I did a fast 2.6km (to the top of the hill in Parkrun) and then walked for most of the way back and sprinted the finish. I probably could've gone harder but I was going to training afterwards so left some energy. Turns out I ran sub 15 minutes for the first half of the Parkrun and managed a 37.51 time even with all the walking, which is still a minute less than my pathetic first time hahaha. After parkrun we had about a half hour break before some hill reps (repetitions, sprinting up the hill then walking back down and repeating). I did 4 x 200m hill sprints and basically slowed to a jog by the end because my legs were so tired, but it was rewarding. Cool down was just a fast walk with some of the sprinters - I'm glad at least one of them is willing to talk to me. And then I went to see Shrek the Musical, and that was an exercise in itself. My legs were actually burning for half of it. Bad idea to sit for that long after so much exercise. And now I'm sore lmao.

My nausea has improved a bit since and although my legs are sore I really think running is helping a bit with my sleep and overall mood (I'm still tired and sleep about 14+ hours a day but it's all relative), and I am going to do a session on Tuesday by myself then go to training on Thursday. I'll update either then or on the weekend which is when Victorian Champs is!

See you around, lovelies 💙

Erutepa

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • evenin'
  • Respect: +775
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2020, 08:45:32 pm »
+9
Turns out I ran sub 15 minutes for the first half of the Parkrun
Soon you'll be running that pace for the whole run!!! #sub30gang #gottagofast #neowm #hashtag #isthishowyoudothis
p.s clearly you weren't running that hard for the first half as your were talking to me most of the way ???

I am going to do a session on Tuesday by myself then go to training on Thursday
Its amazing that you're doing sessions on you're own - getting yourself out there can be tough, but you can't run with a group all the time unfortunately.

Its been awesome seeing your progress so far (and being able to run with you) and I am looking forward to seeing much more running progress, even if its just a gateway into other (less cooler) sports like hockey
Qualifications
 > Have counted to 227
 > Can draw really good spiders
 > 2 Poet points
 > 6.5 insanipi points
 > 1 Bri MT point

Poet

• Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2020, 04:40:10 pm »
+11
Soon you'll be running that pace for the whole run!!! #sub30gang #gottagofast #neowm #hashtag #isthishowyoudothis
p.s clearly you weren't running that hard for the first half as your were talking to me most of the way ???
Its amazing that you're doing sessions on you're own - getting yourself out there can be tough, but you can't run with a group all the time unfortunately.
Oh hi, yes we were chatting for most of the way - We were running at a pace that allowed speech so I wouldn't wear myself out too much. And it is unfortunate that I can't train with a group all the time. When I do it's a lot easier to push myself, but that's just my competitive streak  ;D

Its been awesome seeing your progress so far (and being able to run with you) and I am looking forward to seeing much more running progress, even if its just a gateway into other (less cooler) sports like hockey
Thank you, I love you too

Back with an updaaaate
This Tuesday I did a half hour strength session focusing on legs and core. All exercises were done with a maximum of 30 second break from one to the other. I've listed what I did in the order I did it for you to assess and judge me on my weak noodle body hehe:
The Noodle Workout:
- 00:30 side hop
- x24 squats
- x48 side-lying leg lift (alternating x12 left and right)
- x28 backwards lunge (x14 left and right)
- x64 donkey kicks (x16 left and right)
- 1:00 quad stretch (00:30 left and right)
- 1:00 knee to chest stretch (00:30 left and right)
- x24 wall calf raises (x12 left and right)
- x24 sumo squat calf raises (x12 left and right)
- 1:00 calf stretch (00:30 left and right)
- 00:20 jumping jack
- x16 abdominal crunches
- x20 russian twist
- x16 mountain climber
- x20 heel touch
- x16 leg raises
- 00:20 plank
- x12 abdominal crunches
- x32 russian twist
- x12 mountain climber
- x20 heel touch
- x14 leg raises
- die a little because it hurts
- 00:30 plank
- 00:30 cobra stretch
- 1:00 lumbar twist stretch (00:30 left and right)
^ It was a lot so I was proud of myself for getting through that.

This Thursday however I'm not so proud of. I went rollerblading in the morning and that was a lot of fun but it triggered my achilles tendinitis. I've had tendinitis since I was about 9 or so after an accident and unfortunately it can flare up at random times and put me out of action for potentially weeks. It's why I gave up on running years ago. It's feeling a lot better today thankfully, but yesterday I ran a 2km warm up jog and it seized up before I could do more so I sat being mad at myself for the rest of the session.

Tomorrow is States comp at Lakeside Stadium and I'm super excited to see people compete. I won't be running an event but I'll do a 5km circuit around the lake and try not to get bitten by the swans. Will update after that. ILY :)) 💙

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2020, 04:43:27 pm »
+7
The Noodle Workout is impressive! Or at least, I think it is, because I'm not sure what half of the techniques are haha.

Hope tomorrow goes well. 👍

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Poet

• Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2020, 04:59:39 pm »
+11
The Noodle Workout is impressive! Or at least, I think it is, because I'm not sure what half of the techniques are haha.

Hope tomorrow goes well. 👍
Thank you! I'm going to clarify what some of these exercises are now because I've realised they're not the easiest to interpret (I love these pictures, they all look like they're in minor pain so it's accurate):
Spoiler
Side lying leg lift:

Donkey kicks:

Sumo squat calf raises:

Russian twist:

Mountain climber:

Cobra stretch:

Erutepa

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • evenin'
  • Respect: +775
« Reply #26 on: February 29, 2020, 09:51:23 pm »
+14
Howdy Folks  ;D

Unfortunately Poet has engaged herself in a fierce staring contest with 3 llamas and has asked of me to perform the task of updating this journal for today. Buckle up because while this is not going to be a bumpy ride, its always good to err on the side of saftey.

Today being a saturday would normally mean a parkrun, however due to things and stuff, the parkrun was replaced by a regular old 5km run and as she was out around albert park, this 5km run took place around the lake there. The lake itself was quite a nice place to run with it being quite a clear and sunny day which also brought out the birdlife (although the swans (Poets arch nemisis) were not all that apreciated).
The run itself was quite a great training run. It started out fairly easy as she was able to maintain a conversation for the first few kms, although this conversation did begin to die off onwards on the half way mark. By the last couple kms talking almost stopped entirely and stiches (a term for sharp pains) in the abdomen as well as fatigue began to set in. with about 1km to go there was a breif bit of walking (about 100m) to try and reduce the severity of the stiches, before Poet got going again and pushed herself to finish the run.
As compared to previous 5km runs, this one was much more evenly paced (ignoring the breif walk) as poet managed to maintain aproximaely a 6.00 min/km to a 6.30min/km for the whole run. This compares to her fastest park run (33min 51sec) which started at over 7min/km but finished at 5.30min/km. This (more evenly paced) run seemed to get the most out of Poets effort as she ran about 32mins by my estimation (unfortunately I didn't get an exact time on her). Considering not the best nights sleep beforehand and definently not enough hydration before the run either, the run was an overall fantastic effort and a step closer to breaking that 30min 5km barrier. With a bit more training and perhaps even just a better nights sleep and hydration, this goal will shortly be reached.

Talking about goals, Poet has just set herself yet another one by entering in the 7km race that is running along side the geelong half marathon. The aim is to run the whole way without stopping - something which will need a bit more training to be achived. Hopefully with a few solid weeks of training, along with working that 5km time down, Poet can set herself up to do a impressive 7km run!

Hopefully Poet will beat these llamas in time for her next training session on tuesday after which she will be back for another update.
Qualifications
 > Have counted to 227
 > Can draw really good spiders
 > 2 Poet points
 > 6.5 insanipi points
 > 1 Bri MT point

J_Rho

• MOTM: MARCH 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +756
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2020, 08:41:29 pm »
+7
Thank you! I'm going to clarify what some of these exercises are now because I've realised they're not the easiest to interpret (I love these pictures, they all look like they're in minor pain so it's accurate):
Spoiler
Side lying leg lift:

Donkey kicks:

Sumo squat calf raises:

Russian twist:

Mountain climber:

Cobra stretch:

These are all really good exercises! I used to do a variation in the side leg lift when I did dance as a school subject - my describing skills are horrendous and I cannot find a suitable image so he is a little drawing!

As not seen in the drawing you bend your knee back so you have more stability when lifting higher. Might be a fun little variation you might want to try!
Keep up the amazing work, it is truly inspirational
— VCE —
English 30, Further Maths 33, Biology 33, Legal Studies 27, Psychology 32

— University —
Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash
Bachelor of Counselling & Psychological Science @ ACAP

Poet

• Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2020, 03:26:57 pm »
+11
These are all really good exercises! I used to do a variation in the side leg lift when I did dance as a school subject - my describing skills are horrendous and I cannot find a suitable image so he is a little drawing!
(Image removed from quote.)
As not seen in the drawing you bend your knee back so you have more stability when lifting higher. Might be a fun little variation you might want to try!
Keep up the amazing work, it is truly inspirational
This looks like it'll hurt me, so I'll try it - thanks!

Hi guys! I have returned. I asked Erutepa to fill in my previous update because I was being attacked by llamas (also known as minor heatstroke) after being out in the sun all day and found both thinking and typing difficult. I've managed to recover since then and ran on Tuesday and today!

Tuesday's training session was really good. I felt quite accomplished after running a 1.5km warmup, 4 x 400m efforts (running as fast as I could the whole way) before ending with a 1km jogged cool down. I felt tired but pretty fit and confident I could run a sub 33 on the Saturday.

Thursday I did no training because Erutepa and I went ziplining instead! It was heaps of fun and a very unique way to celebrate a year together  - love you bb 💙

Admittedly I was very lazy after Tuesday but it worked in my favour - the extra rest meant I could run harder this morning, and I did!

I was aiming for a sub 33 time but... Drumroll please... I RAN A TIME OF 28.24!!!! YYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
I actually screamed when I saw my time omg - I managed to slash my PB by more than 5 minutes and I'm ecstatic! I thought it would be difficult to get a sub 30 (and in all fairness it was, I was actually crying and gagging because I couldn't breathe and was about to vomit a km from the finish and basically passed out at the end lmao) but I did it and now that it's done I know I can keep building on that.

This week it looks like I won't be able to do any group training sessions but I'll do a run on Monday and see where I go from there. That's all! I'm going home to sleep for ages now. 😴

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2020, 04:25:08 pm »
+8
+1 from the physio for good glute strength exercises!! So glad that things are going well, Poet. Props to you for really committing to this - as someone who detests running I really really admire you! Also sub 30 sounds so bloody impressive!!!

@J_Rho with stick figures like those you should consider a career in physio ;)