Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 04:39:34 am

Author Topic: Life of a Chronically Stressed HSC Student  (Read 38894 times)

alice343

• MOTM: MAY 20
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +125
Re: Life of a Chronically Stressed HSC Student
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2020, 08:39:01 pm »
+3
Woah no way! USYD and UNSW are my alternatives too haha.
I agree - moving out will defs be scary + new, but why not throw in some adventure  ;D I guess at uni you'd make a lot of close friends, so (hopefully) after a while you would have a pretty good support system there too!
Regarding ADFA, I'm planning to study civil engineering there. The first thing that interested me was that they pay you to study (you essentially get a free degree), which is pretty cool ;). But I looked into it further, and it honestly sounds perfectly suited to me. I love that on top of the usual academic life there's also the military side + fitness aspect. I really want to challenge myself personally and physically, and this is a great way to do that! Also their degrees are from UNSW so the engineering course is the same, which is great. What do you find interesting about international relations?

Wow!! I didn't know the ADFA was linked with UNSW! That sounds superrrr cool (no student debt too). The physical/military aspect is definitely a huge bonus - it's good to challenge yourself.

As for international relations, I really want to understand the world and global issues better. I've always loved history, law and politics so I think it'd be a good combination of them! And I have an aspiration of working for the UN, or some kind of international organisation. I also want to study it with Environment and Sustainability, because I really care about providing future generations with a clean and safe Earth! I feel like I could really make a difference by studying IR.
2020 HSC: English Advanced, Modern History, Legal Studies, Japanese Beginners, Society and Culture, History Extension

Viktoriak_

• MOTM: AUG 20
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2020, 08:50:37 pm »
+3
Wow!! I didn't know the ADFA was linked with UNSW! That sounds superrrr cool (no student debt too). The physical/military aspect is definitely a huge bonus - it's good to challenge yourself.
Yeah I'm keen ;D

As for international relations, I really want to understand the world and global issues better. I've always loved history, law and politics so I think it'd be a good combination of them! And I have an aspiration of working for the UN, or some kind of international organisation. I also want to study it with Environment and Sustainability, because I really care about providing future generations with a clean and safe Earth!
Wow that sounds amazing, super cool you could be working for the UN one day !
Definitely sounds like it would suit your subjects well too.

I feel like I could really make a difference by studying IR.
That's awesome, I think its super important in a job/career to be able to make an impact, definitely would be empowering and meaningful work!
HSC '19: IPT
HSC '20: chem, phys, maths 3U, eng adv.

alice343

• Trendsetter
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2020, 09:10:38 pm »
Yeah I'm keen ;D
Wow that sounds amazing, super cool you could be working for the UN one day !
Definitely sounds like it would suit your subjects well too.
That's awesome, I think its super important in a job/career to be able to make an impact, definitely would be empowering and meaningful work!

Yep, I'm super excited about it!!! How about you? Do you have any particular aspirations?
2020 HSC: English Advanced, Modern History, Legal Studies, Japanese Beginners, Society and Culture, History Extension

alice343

• Trendsetter
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2020, 07:26:12 pm »
+5
I had my second day of actual school today! It was nice to see everyone, but tbh I wouldn't mind staying home a bit longer hehe.

One week left to go until my English assessment - no one really knows what's happening, since it was online but since we're going back to school next week, it might change. Either way, I've been neglecting English really badly, and our teacher is giving us until tomorrow afternoon to submit practice essays! I'm planning to write an essay tonight, and then edit another one that I have half written - hopefully I can get it done before tomorrow.

Justin_L

• MOTM: July 20
  • HSC Moderator
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +235
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2020, 08:55:25 pm »
+1
I had my second day of actual school today! It was nice to see everyone, but tbh I wouldn't mind staying home a bit longer hehe.

One week left to go until my English assessment - no one really knows what's happening, since it was online but since we're going back to school next week, it might change. Either way, I've been neglecting English really badly, and our teacher is giving us until tomorrow afternoon to submit practice essays! I'm planning to write an essay tonight, and then edit another one that I have half written - hopefully I can get it done before tomorrow.

Wow, that sounds pretty hectic! Good luck with your essays, you're really lucky that your teacher is so open to accepting practice responses!

I finished applying for ANU, but I haven't pressed submit because I'm scared for some reason. I desperately want to study International Relations there but moving there might be a bit tricky... anyone else applying to ANU?

That's so cool! I'm applying to ANU as well, only for international security. TBH, the fact that it's interstate is one of the reasons I want to study there, since I want to get out of Sydney for a while. Accommodation was super confusing, but the application was otherwise really streamlined.

What sort of International Relations role do you want to do in the future? Diplomat, Politician, etc? It definitely seems like a field with a lot of potential.
Да здравствует революция государственного модератора

alice343

• Trendsetter
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2020, 08:28:33 pm »
+2
Wow, that sounds pretty hectic! Good luck with your essays, you're really lucky that your teacher is so open to accepting practice responses!

That's so cool! I'm applying to ANU as well, only for international security. TBH, the fact that it's interstate is one of the reasons I want to study there, since I want to get out of Sydney for a while. Accommodation was super confusing, but the application was otherwise really streamlined.

What sort of International Relations role do you want to do in the future? Diplomat, Politician, etc? It definitely seems like a field with a lot of potential.

Thanks! I've given in my essays, phew.

What exactly does International Security entail? The first and only time I've heard of it was when I came across it on the ANU website. Also, all of the 'international' courses are confusing me - like at USYD, they offer International and Global Studies, as well as International Relations. AND ACCOMMODATION WAS THE WORST PART OF THE APPLICATION. I hope I didn't mess up anything hehe. I also signed up for the scholarships - writing those personal statements was also pretty hard ngl.

I'm not too sure what role I'd like to work in, but diplomat sounds alright!

Justin_L

• MOTM: July 20
  • HSC Moderator
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +235
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2020, 11:49:02 am »
+1
There's a fair bit of overlap between the two courses but from my understanding, International Security is a much more specialized course which is more case studies based, whereas International Relations is much more theoretical and about the politics side of things. You can take a look at the specific units to get a better idea of what each course is about, since you can "customize" the course to a pretty large degree.

TBH I don't know what the international means either and holy heck I completely agree, accommodation was like ? ? ? It doesn't make sense why they would ask us that before even giving an offer? I'm keeping my fingers crossed as well that it'll all work out.

Best of luck for your application, let us know how it goes!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 11:58:09 am by Justin_L »
Да здравствует революция государственного модератора

alice343

• Trendsetter
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2020, 12:53:43 pm »
+1
There's a fair bit of overlap between the two courses but from my understanding, International Security is a much more specialized course which is more case studies based, whereas International Relations is much more theoretical and about the politics side of things. You can take a look at the specific units to get a better idea of what each course is about, since you can "customize" the course to a pretty large degree.

TBH I don't know what the international means either and holy heck I completely agree, accommodation was like ? ? ? It doesn't make sense why they would ask us that before even giving an offer? I'm keeping my fingers crossed as well that it'll all work out.

Best of luck for your application, let us know how it goes!

Good luck to you too! Just read an email from ANU that says accommodation deposits need to be settled by September 7... that sounds scarily soon  :-\

All the different majors and minors and electives and units and whatnot confuse me so much lol. Hopefully, it'll make more sense to me soon.

alice343

• Trendsetter
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2020, 06:33:20 pm »
+2
Week 4, Term 2 Update

English assessment has been moved to our senior day! (Friday is off for seniors fortnightly, alternating between Year 11 and 12). This means I have a little extra time to prepare - I've been working on a detailed evidence bank, and it looks so good that it actually makes me want to study.

I'm working on an essay for S&C. Sometimes I really dread studying for this subject, since everything is so vague. Essays in particular!!!

This week I felt pretty unmotivated. Even though I kept on top of school work, I don't think I was putting my all into it. Next week I will definitely be more mindful of my producitivty, and how I can improve it.

ATTACHED: a screenshot of my evidence table because I think it looks so pretty!! (It's orange because of Screen Shader - read below)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 06:58:24 pm by alice343 »

alice343

• Trendsetter
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2020, 06:34:02 pm »
+7
Chrome extensions that will change your life

ALSO!!! I just discovered the beauty of Chrome extensions. I want to share them with you guys because THEY'RE SO REVOLUTIONARY.

- OneTab: it will collect all of your tabs into one page.  It removes clutter and saves you from opening and closing tabs. This is great if you always have 100s of tabs open, or if you're doing a lot of research. WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND.
EDIT: just realised that this is basically the tab feature that exists on Microsoft Edge lol
- Email Tracking for Gmail: when I found out this existed, I was absolutely baffled. It lowkey sounds like it's infringing on people's privacy, but I guess not since it still exists! It allows for you to see when someone has opened your email - some of my teachers are notorious for not responding to emails, so if you can see if they've chosen to open it and not respond, you can send a follow up email.
- Google Dictionary: highlight any word on a page, press the icon and it'll define it!
- Google Translate: same kinda deal, except it'll translate it for you!
- Weava Highlighter: enables you to highlight text on any page! You can also add notes to the text you highlighted, and it automatically saves so you don't need to worry about it disappearing if you close the page!
- Cite This For Me: even though this is a website, this extension makes it so much more easier. Log in with your account, click the icon on the page you want to reference, boom. You can choose to copy it or add it to your account's bibliography.
- Todoist: a to do list on your Chrome browser! I know there's TONS of other ways you could store your to do lists (phone, book, sticky notes etc.). I like to use it for very short term tasks, instead of having to open Sticky Notes on my laptop because I use Chrome for everything.

HONOURABLE MENTIONS:
- Grammarly: if you haven't already downloaded it, download it now.
- Dark Reader: changes every page to dark mode! It helps when you're working at night and don't want to strain your eyes.
- Screen Shader: also allows you to change the colour of your page, so you don't strain your eyes.
- Volume Master: this isn't really productivity-related, but it boosts your volume by up to 600% (I KNOW).
- Any type of ad blocker: it's 2020, what are you doing if you don't have this?
- Any site blocker: if you really want to focus, block all of your Netflix, Instagram, Youtube, etc. I like using Block Site, since it has a Work Mode: you can set a time period for when these websites can be blocked.
- Any type of screen capture or record: I only use this to capture, I don't really use the video features. You can annotate and record your own voice or face on it too!!! (Great for tutorials and the like.)
- Momentum: not really productivity-related, but quite lovely and inspiring. Every day, a beautiful picture of scenery will show as the background, along with an inspiring and motivational quote on a new tab!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 05:29:22 pm by alice343 »

alice343

• Trendsetter
« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2020, 05:31:18 pm »
+2
Got feedback for my practice essay!! I'm really happy with it. I wasn't too confident about it when I emailed my teacher, but then they said that they would give it full marks in the HSC :))) I'm going to spend tonight editing it, as well as editing my other essay to send to my teacher. Also, we're receiving our assessments back for Modern tomorrow - fingers crossed that I do as well as I'm aiming for.

alice343

• Trendsetter
« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2020, 04:53:23 pm »
+7
Week 5, Term 2 Update
This week is finally over woohoo!!! A short week since we have our senior day tomorrow, but always draining. This week wasn't too bad - I feel like it just flew by and I didn't really achieve anything. Subject wise, we didn't do much in class either. We did start Mod B essay writing, which I feel is like is way too early since we've only spent 5 weeks on Great Expectations - but that's how I felt when we started Mod A essays and it turned out fine.

I have an English assessment tomorrow on my senior day - we have two whole hours to complete an essay. I have all my notes and resources organised so I can easily refer to them as I'm writing. I feel stressed but not stressed at the same time? Like I know the essay question won't be extremely difficult, and we've practised Mod A essay writing so much I feel like it won't be too difficult to get a good result. However, everyone has had a lot of time to prepare for this task so everyone is on the same level playing field, meaning I really need to distinguish myself amongst everyone else.

I'm so excited to be done with the English assessment since I won't have another one until my History Project in week 9. This means I have a full three weeks to work on my major works and revision. My S&C teacher is expecting a PIP draft by week 8, and I will aim to submit one by the end of week 6. Everything is moving so fast now and I can't comprehend it - it'll be the term 2 holidays so soon, and trials would only be a few weeks after!

Thanks for reading, good luck for your studies, whoever is reading this!

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1151
« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2020, 05:07:20 pm »
+5
Good luck for your English assessment tomorrow! Hope it goes well!!  :D
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality
2018-2022: B Music/B Education (Secondary) [UNSW]

alice343

• Trendsetter
« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2020, 01:16:10 pm »
+4
Good luck for your English assessment tomorrow! Hope it goes well!!  :D

Thank you!!! I just submitted my essay in, I'm feeling pretty confident about it since I had already written an essay to a similar question.

alice343

• Trendsetter
« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2020, 06:25:57 pm »
+5
Got my results back for my Modern assessment! I'm pretty content with what I received (92%) and I completely agree with the feedback that my teacher gave me.

I was just looking at my study wall, which is absolutely COVERED in post-it notes - I had feedback for each subject and how to improve, and I realised that I actually have improved in many ways since Year 11! In both small and big ways - for example, during prelim course, I wasn't as confident in my source analysis and integration in essays. With the latest assessment, I made sure to make an in-depth analysis of each source to support my arguments, which my teacher commended! This is pretty heartening to realise that improvements can be made, both small and big, in short amounts of time!