Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 17, 2024, 01:33:04 am

Author Topic: Ask Monash University  (Read 339970 times)  Share 

chasej

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +56
Re: Ask Monash University
« Reply #330 on: February 05, 2016, 03:33:04 pm »
Hey there,
I was wondering if it's possible to major in a business field if i'm taking an arts course?? Like, Arts - majoring in Management or something??
Thank-you!!

You can't. You can only major/minor in what is the listed in the hand book under arts areas.

You might be able to do some electives in business area depending on your exact degree.
Graduated with Bachelor of Laws (Honours) / Bachelor of Arts from Monash University in June 2020.

Completing Practical Legal Training (Graduate Diploma of Legal Practice)

Offering 2021 Tutoring in VCE Legal Studies (Awarded as Bialik College's top Legal Studies Student in 2014).

Offered via Zoom or in person across Melbourne.  Message me to discuss. Very limited places available.

thaaanyan

« Reply #331 on: February 05, 2016, 03:48:23 pm »
You can't. You can only major/minor in what is the listed in the hand book under arts areas.

You might be able to do some electives in business area depending on your exact degree.

I see. That's really confusing, because in WES it has this massive list with some arts majors, some business, some science etc.
Are you sure??? Should I only click the ones that have "arts" next to them??

DeezNuts

• Trendsetter
  • 'where must we go, we who wander the wasteland'
  • Respect: +6
  • School: Tha Streetz
  • School Grad Year: 2015
« Reply #332 on: February 05, 2016, 03:59:45 pm »
Thaaanyan

It's ok to take units from other fields in arts degrees (or science degrees for that matter) but ultimately your major(s) has to be within that field

I am taking different units from different fields in my arts degree to try different things in my first year

Hope this helps :)

Btw out of interest what you thinking of majoring in?
Literature (47) ~ Psych (43) ~ Bio (42)
Tutoring available, just PM me if interested :)
[Limited spots remaining]

'We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.'

chasej

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #333 on: February 05, 2016, 04:15:18 pm »
I see. That's really confusing, because in WES it has this massive list with some arts majors, some business, some science etc.
Are you sure??? Should I only click the ones that have "arts" next to them??

I've never seen any such list of majors in WES. I have always just enrolled in individual units. Maybe the list is a thing for new students.
Graduated with Bachelor of Laws (Honours) / Bachelor of Arts from Monash University in June 2020.

Offering 2021 Tutoring in VCE Legal Studies (Awarded as Bialik College's top Legal Studies Student in 2014).

Offered via Zoom or in person across Melbourne.  Message me to discuss. Very limited places available.

thaaanyan

« Reply #334 on: February 05, 2016, 04:19:43 pm »
Thaaanyan

It's ok to take units from other fields in arts degrees (or science degrees for that matter) but ultimately your major(s) has to be within that field

I am taking different units from different fields in my arts degree to try different things in my first year

Hope this helps :)

Btw out of interest what you thinking of majoring in?

Thank you for the clarification :) :)!! I understand now!
I'm thinking of french/international relations.
What about you?? :)

I've never seen any such list of majors in WES. I have always just enrolled in individual units. Maybe the list is a thing for new students.
I think it's different for arts/law, which i got as first round - it only showed arts majors on that that list. whereas with arts by itself it shows everything.
thankyou for helping me :)

chasej

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #335 on: February 05, 2016, 04:27:05 pm »
I think it's different for arts/law, which i got as first round - it only showed arts majors on that that list. whereas with arts by itself it shows everything.
thankyou for helping me :)

all good. i just checked WES myself and realised there was an area of study selection thing. they must have added it this year because I have never seen it before.

Darth_Pepe

« Reply #336 on: February 05, 2016, 04:50:38 pm »
all good. i just checked WES myself and realised there was an area of study selection thing. they must have added it this year because I have never seen it before.

The area of study selection thing..  is it there available for double degrees or single degrees?

thaaanyan

« Reply #337 on: February 05, 2016, 04:54:14 pm »
The area of study selection thing..  is it there available for double degrees or single degrees?

it's there for both. i've seen it when i was enrolling for law/arts, and then later on when i just went for arts.it's on the enrollment summary page, where there is a table.

Darth_Pepe

« Reply #338 on: February 05, 2016, 04:57:50 pm »
it's there for both. i've seen it when i was enrolling for law/arts, and then later on when i just went for arts.it's on the enrollment summary page, where there is a table.

Thanks! Im yet to fully grasp my way around wes n all that monash stuff  :o

Can you do two majors for arts in a double degree arts/law?

thaaanyan

« Reply #339 on: February 05, 2016, 05:32:35 pm »
Thanks! Im yet to fully grasp my way around wes n all that monash stuff  :o

Yes you can!! :)

chasej

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #340 on: February 05, 2016, 06:27:09 pm »

Yes, just replace the the four 'arts electives' units on the suggested course plan with the units you need to complete your second major.

jesterino

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #341 on: February 16, 2016, 11:31:29 pm »
Hey guys kinda of a newbie question but is there anything that's compulsory in o week apart from the intro that you receive with your faculty? I mean like im pretty keen to join clubs, snatch freebies and meet new people but other than that I dont really want to drive an hour to clayton everyday on that week.

chasej

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #342 on: February 16, 2016, 11:39:00 pm »
Hey guys kinda of a newbie question but is there anything that's compulsory in o week apart from the intro that you receive with your faculty? I mean like im pretty keen to join clubs, snatch freebies and meet new people but other than that I dont really want to drive an hour to clayton everyday on that week.

nah, you don't need to go to every day. just pick the days you want to go based on what is going on - same goes for the rest of uni too lol.

RazzMeTazz

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #343 on: February 26, 2016, 09:29:08 am »
For some of my first year subjects there are no recorded lectures. So I was wondering if I wanted to hear the content of a particular lecture again, would I be allowed to attend a different lecture (than the one allocated to me on my timetable) at some other time in the week? Can anyone go to any lecture?

Thanks

Floatzel98

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #344 on: February 26, 2016, 10:34:16 pm »
For some of my first year subjects there are no recorded lectures. So I was wondering if I wanted to hear the content of a particular lecture again, would I be allowed to attend a different lecture (than the one allocated to me on my timetable) at some other time in the week? Can anyone go to any lecture?

Thanks
Assuming they don't take attendance for your lectures (don't really know how this would work if they do), then you can rock up to other lectures. Since they are first year units the lectures are likely to be full, especially because they aren't recorded. I've read other people on here doing similar things so I doubt it should really be a problem.
2016 - 2019: Bachelor of Science Advanced - Research (Honours) [Physics and Mathematics] @ Monash University