Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 16, 2024, 07:01:52 pm

Author Topic: What is the best university course for Accounting in Melbourne?  (Read 15197 times)  Share 

iSonia97

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Hi everyone,

I'm interesting in pursuing a career as an accountant, preferably with one of the Big 4 firms (PwC, Deloitte, KPMG, Ernst and Young.)

Currently, I'm in Year 11. For my mathematics subject, I am doing Further Mathematics, and not Mathematical Methods (CAS.)

Due to this, I cannot go to the University of Melbourne or Monash University for Commerce.

I could try and transfer to methods for the rest of this year and year 12, but it would be extremely difficult. I might be able to handle it though, with my average of mostly A+s and a few As for all of my subjects.

However, I've looked a few degrees that I can do:

Bachelor of Business (Accounting) - Monash University Caulfield Campus
Bachelor of Business (Professional Accountancy) - RMIT
Bachelor of Commerce - Deakin University
Bachelor of Accounting - La Trobe University

Out of those 4 courses, which would you recommend and why?

Thank you in advance.

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Doctor.
  • Respect: +2376
Re: What is the best university course for Accounting in Melbourne?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 07:15:35 pm »
On a side-note, have you applied / thought of applying to student internships and the like at the Big 4?

I have a few friends who got them during VCE and now have jobs there whilst in uni :)

mystikal

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2013, 08:40:22 pm »
RMIT - cause they make you find a year of work experience and there rep is ok for accounting (its growing). In addition, since you are in the city you will be able to attend interviews/assessment centres easier without wrecking the whole day of uni.
Plus, if you want to transfer to UoM or Monash clayton it is very possible as long as you do the Maths Unit (statistics i think) and maintian a 75 average at least then you can apply mid year for UoM (which relies on your ATAR more) and also apply end of year for both monash/melb

Monash Caulfield = Crappy Campus but it will give a general idea what it is like to study at monash since the course work for most of the accounting stuff is almost identical (probably easier but the content is the same). In addition, it would be easier to transfer they still look at average and 75 to be competitive. If you dont get into clayton theres a scholarship available only at caulfield called IBM future leaders which is very good  and its not that hard to get in as well.

I have friends at both unis and they both have secured jobs at well known companies without going to uni of melb or monash clayton.

hope that helps.

sluu001

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +28
  • School: University of Melbourne
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 03:27:19 pm »
+1
RMIT has an excellent reputation for their Accountancy program. I completed several Accounting subjects there and have nothing but good things to say about their program. Just bear in mind that Accounting is one degree where it is heavily standardised by the various Professional Accounting bodies (i.e. CPA, CA etc.), so the topics covered in every University will be identical. Hence, it is not about which University you go to, by how well you do there. A pass/credit average at Melbourne will not get you even a remote chance of an interview compared to your colleague who has a Distinction/HD average down the road at either RMIT or Deakin/Latrobe.

thushan

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +626
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 04:11:20 pm »
+1
http://www.unilearn.net.au/our-courses/senior-mathematics/

You can do this course if you want to satisfy the methods prerequisite for Melbourne Commerce.
Managing Director  and Senior Content Developer - Decode Publishing (2020+)
http://www.decodeguides.com.au

Basic Physician Trainee - Monash Health (2019-)
Medical Intern - Alfred Hospital (2018)
MBBS (Hons.) - Monash Uni
BMedSci (Hons.) - Monash Uni

Former ATARNotes Lecturer for Chemistry, Biology

IsabellaButts

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2020, 07:52:35 pm »
Bachelor of Business (Accounting) - Monash University Caulfield Campus I think it's a good Uni as well as a good program. A lot depends on what course you are looking for. When I was looking for a marketing course, since in many universities, the program for this faculty is outdated, and I could not understand how I could then use my knowledge in the future. Marketing, especially digital marketing, is developing very quickly, so only relevant information has value. The same is for accounting. When choosing a university, look at your course program, what software you will be using, since this software should be modern. Many stuff in accounting was being automated. I had one subject in the course, where I was constantly asked to write essays, which I did not want to do since I needed to learn important subjects. I ordered my assignments in the college writing service Paperial because I did not consider it necessary to spend my time on things that did not align with my major directly. To get relevant knowledge at the university, I suggest that you familiarize yourself with the curriculum in detail so that you do not regret your choice later since tuition costs a lot of money. Yeah, you should learn everything about your Uni and course, maybe even ask some students that studied there before.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 02:14:22 am by IsabellaButts »