Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 11:09:05 am

Author Topic: SDD Algorithm Contest (ALCON)  (Read 5622 times)  Share 

Opengangs

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • \(\mathbb{O}_\mathbb{G}\)
  • Respect: +480
SDD Algorithm Contest (ALCON)
« on: April 12, 2018, 01:58:12 pm »
+9
ATARNotes presents...
SOFTWARE DESIGN AND DEVELOPMENT
ALCON

INTRODUCTION

Introduction to the contest
Hey all,
As of April 16, 2018, the Software Design and Development board is proud to run their very first pseudocode/algorithm writing competition. The aim behind this project is to enhance your algorithm writing and to encourage you to write fruitful algorithms for the HSC. As algorithmic writing by hand plays as an integral component in the HSC (10-20 marks), the ATARNotes Software Design and Development team will want you to develop skills that you may use for the HSC, and extend that to university and outside of school.

Every two weeks, a new problem will be released and your goal is to then write an algorithm that correctly answers the requirements of the question. Each problem is worth 5 marks, and you will be marked according to the guidelines that is going to be released alongside the problem. Note that you will not be given a guideline for the HSC, so use this time to become familiar with the types of guidelines that markers are going to mark your algorithm based on. Once you are happy with your algorithm, post them in this thread and you will then be given public feedback. You can attempt the same question as many times as you want, but your last submission will be given the points. A sample solution will be given in conjunction with the new problem two weeks later.

At this moment, there are no prizes other than becoming more confident with the way you approach algorithmic writing. I hope it serves as a useful resource as you continue your HSC journey through Software Design and Development.

DETAILS

Click me!
Who is allowed to enter?
While this contest is geared towards the algorithms found in the SDD HSC exams, anyone is allowed to enter. It doesn't matter whether or not you do the SDD course.

How do we sign up?
You will need an account (You can log into your account here or you can register instead. When you sign up, you will be able to respond to this thread (and any other thread on the AN forum!).

How do we submit our algorithm?
You can submit your code by pasting your code here. In order to post a piece of algorithm, you can copy and paste the following bit of code:

[code ]
Your code goes here
    Indentation is 4 spaces
[/code ]

How many submissions can we post per round?
As many you'd like. But only your last submission will be assessed and returned with feedback from our markers.

What happens after we submit our algorithm?
Submissions will be marked and published at the start of the next fortnight. If you get stuck, the markers (JTrudeau and Opengangs) will post a hint one week into the contest.

Good luck to those participating, and I hope this will be of great usefulness to you.

HELPFUL HINTS

Click me!
Every pseudocode algorithm begins with a BEGIN and ends with an END statement. The BEGIN and END statements suggest that the block of code in between are contained within the pseudocode, and they usually represent functions.

Always indent your code. Indentation is a very important style of writing code as it allows the reader to read the block of code more efficiently. Indentation essentially demonstrates the scope in which variables can be accessed.

Use meaningful variable names where possible. Instead of the usual names such as a and b, use variable names that have some sort of significance to the logic of the code.

CURRENT AND PAST CONTESTS

To view and participate in the current contest, (click here) for the details.

Past contests
You are permitted to do past contests to get feedback but no points will be added towards your point tally if you submit after the deadline. The point we're keeping these open is so that you can get direct feedback on your algorithms.

(2018) Past questions

(2020) Past questions

LEADERBOARD

Leaderboard
RANK | USERNAME | PTS | PTS SCORED (PREV PROBLEM)

Previous winners
2018 - anomalous - 27
« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 05:06:58 pm by Opengangs »

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
Re: SDD Algorithm Contest (ALCON) | Week 0
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 06:27:45 pm »
+5
Can I pretend to be a student for this?  ::)

P.S - Good on you, i'm happy to see there's some IT-related stuff going on around here now  8)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 06:33:12 pm by Aaron »
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

Opengangs

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2018, 06:34:53 pm »
+4
Can I pretend to be a student for this?  ::)

P.S - Good on you, i'm happy to see there's some IT-related stuff going on around here now  8)
hMMM well i did say "anyone" so i shan't discriminate 8)

JTrudeau

• Trendsetter
  • Master of the Meeses
  • Respect: +90
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2018, 06:37:08 pm »
+2
hMMM well i did say "anyone" so i shan't discriminate 8)

What opengangs means to say is that "All non-current SDD students must submit their answers in flowchart form. If you use pseudocode, you are automatically disqualified" ;)
Data Science, Finance || University of Sydney
== First in State for Software Design and Development 2017 ==
Advanced English | Maths Extension 1 | Maths Extension 2 | Economics | Software Design & Development | Chemistry

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2018, 06:44:04 pm »
+4
Use meaningful variable names where possible. Instead of the usual names such as a and b, use variable names that have some sort of significance to the logic of the code.

You mean \(i\) isn't a good variable name? What is this ;)

Continuing your hot streak, love this OG! I'll make sure it gets some exposure on FB, and I'll throw in some sort of blue banner or something for the winner ;D

Opengangs

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2018, 06:49:54 pm »
+2
You mean \(i\) isn't a good variable name? What is this ;)

Continuing your hot streak, love this OG! I'll make sure it gets some exposure on FB, and I'll throw in some sort of blue banner or something for the winner ;D
/(>_>)/  \(<_<)\

(thanks man! That'll be greatly appreciated ;D )

Opengangs

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
Re: SDD Algorithm Contest (ALCON) | Week 1
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2018, 10:55:52 am »
+4
---

PROBLEM 1

---

Hey all,
Week 1 of the SDD Algorithm Contest is underway. You can find more information about this fortnight's question here. This week's question will finish on April 30, 2018, so you have two weeks to complete it. To submit your algorithm, paste your code here. Remember that you're getting marked on style, so make sure you indent it well and use meaningful variable names.

If you're still unsure, then feel free to post a reply to this thread and we will help clarify things!

:)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 08:32:24 am by Opengangs »

Opengangs

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
Re: SDD Algorithm Contest (ALCON) | Week 2
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2018, 11:13:58 pm »
+1
---

PROBLEM 2

---

Hey all,

Welcome to the second week of the Algorithm Contest - this week, we'll be working further into arrays but rather than helping IKEO, we'll be helping Spack Jarrow. You can find more information about this fortnight's question here. This will end on May 14, 2018, so be quick or you'll miss out!

Last week, one person submitted their code - so a big congratulations to anomalous for earning 5 points.

If you have any further questions, feel free to post below and I'll answer them asap.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 08:37:07 am by Opengangs »

Opengangs

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
Re: SDD Algorithm Contest (ALCON) | Problem 3
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2018, 12:21:08 am »
+3
[
---

PROBLEM 3

---

Hey all,

Welcome to the third week of the Algorithm Contest - this week, we'll be working with files and it is your job to assist Hairy Bottler find certain spells in his book of spells. You can find more information about this fortnight's question here. This will end on May 28, 2018, so be quick or you'll miss out!

Last week, five people submitted their code - huge congratulations to two people in particular - DrDusk and Jenna Chan - for their perfect 7/7 code.

If you have any further questions, feel free to post below and I'll answer them asap.

Opengangs

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
Re: SDD Algorithm Contest (ALCON) | Problem 4
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2018, 12:26:58 am »
---

PROBLEM 4

---

Hey all,

Welcome to the fourth week of the Algorithm Contest - this week, we'll be working with (relative) files, multidimensional arrays, and sorts/searches. You can find more information about this fortnight's question here. This will end on June 10, 2018, so be quick or you'll miss out!

Opengangs

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
Re: SDD Algorithm Contest (ALCON)
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2018, 10:43:01 am »
---

PROBLEM 5

---

Hey all,

Welcome to the fifth week of the Algorithm Contest - this week, we'll primarily be working with string manipulation. You can find more information about this fortnight's question here. This will end on June 24, 2018, so be quick or you'll miss out!

Opengangs

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
Re: SDD Algorithm Contest (ALCON)
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2018, 01:46:04 am »
---

PROBLEM 6

---

Hey all,

Welcome to the sixth week of the Algorithm Contest - this week, we'll primarily be working with the three different sorting methods. You can find more information about this fortnight's question here. This will end on July 8, 2018, so be quick or you'll miss out!