Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 09:30:47 pm

Author Topic: Compilation of solutions to HARD past HSC papers (2U)  (Read 31849 times)  Share 

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
Compilation of solutions to HARD past HSC papers (2U)
« on: June 25, 2017, 09:11:28 am »
+13
Hey all,

Similar to the other threads, this thread will be reserved specifically for solutions to past BOSTES papers only. You should still post any other questions in the question thread, but please consider looking here if it is from a past BOSTES paper.

The main purpose of this thread is just so that if you have a really long answer, you won't need to go around asking for a solution but can just look for it here. Of course, you're always welcome to ask more about the solution if you're still confused :)

Again, it's all just a work in progress and I'm sure more solutions will appear in time.

- Q10 b) The absolutely dreaded farmhouse question

- Q10 b) Boats

- Q10 b) iii) Stupidly long proof that we maximise the length
- Q9 c) ii) Easier max/min

- Q10 b) Xuan and Yvette

- Q9 a) ii) Growing annuity - Nice but tricky case
- Q10 a) iii) Overkilled explanation regarding the estimate
- Q10 a) iv) Guidelines for the sketch.
Sample sketch

- Q10 b) The rotated hemispherical container

- Q9 a) Some effort needed to dig up the ratio
- Q9 d) ii) Interesting telescoping sum
- Q10 b) A sector paddock

- Q16 b) i) Strange tangent
- Q16 c) ii) Dealing with the weird circle and parabola. (Briefly touches on i).)

- Q10 The particle's behaviour
- Q14 b) i) Working out the roads
- Q14 d) Integrals used as areas
- Q15 a) ii) Mysterious absolute value equation; gradient and number of solutions

- Q7 Quick mention as to why the answer is not 3.
- Q15 b) Building up to a ratio of areas
- Q16 b) Growing annuity - Tedious case

- Q9 Slightly unconventional motion question, overkilled explanation for a mere multiple choice
- Q16 c Classic similar triangles optimisation problem

- Q15 b) ii) A bait - the reason why n = 12 and not n = 11

Solutions to Recent Papers

« Last Edit: November 15, 2021, 06:58:06 pm by fun_jirachi »

georgiia

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +8
Re: Compilation of solutions to HARD past HSC papers (2U)
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2017, 08:33:00 pm »
Hi, My trials are next week and I feel like I'm not using my time as efficiently as I'd like just by doing past trials. I was wondering if you have a list/collection of challenging exam style questions that I can do because I feel like I'm waisting my time with what I'm doing at the moment.

Just Q's that are a bit different from normal or have a twist or something. But not like the ones in your marathon post; hard but in line with whats expected

Thank You  : :D !

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 08:33:36 am »
+3
Hi, My trials are next week and I feel like I'm not using my time as efficiently as I'd like just by doing past trials. I was wondering if you have a list/collection of challenging exam style questions that I can do because I feel like I'm waisting my time with what I'm doing at the moment.

Just Q's that are a bit different from normal or have a twist or something. But not like the ones in your marathon post; hard but in line with whats expected

Thank You  : :D !
Tbh - Anything that's Q16 (or Q10 for pre-2012 papers) of a past paper will give you that. Because maths papers are designed so that the questions go in ascending difficulty.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 08:38:35 am by RuiAce »

georgiia

• Trendsetter
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 12:39:57 pm »
Tbh - Anything that's Q16 (or Q10 for pre-2012 papers) of a past paper will give you that. Because maths papers are designed so that the questions go in ascending difficulty.

Yeah I know, but usually where I loose my marks is in questions that are supposedly easy topics but have a hard/unexpected unusual thing about them. Are there any questions over the years that have stood out as different in any way?

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2017, 12:45:29 pm »
Yeah I know, but usually where I loose my marks is in questions that are supposedly easy topics but have a hard/unexpected unusual thing about them. Are there any questions over the years that have stood out as different in any way?
It's pretty hard telling what you mean by this. A suggestion is to look at Q10 of some BOSTES papers, 2012 onwards (i.e. last question of the multiple choice) as they usually have a twist to them, but otherwise mind posting an example to help clarify your question?

georgiia

• Trendsetter
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2017, 01:15:32 pm »
It's pretty hard telling what you mean by this. A suggestion is to look at Q10 of some BOSTES papers, 2012 onwards (i.e. last question of the multiple choice) as they usually have a twist to them, but otherwise mind posting an example to help clarify your question?

I have this worksheet at home so I can't post a photo until tonight but it basically has a random assortment of all topics where the questions, although in the scope of 2u, they make you think. You can't just rote do them which I find you easily get away with for most of 2u. Ill upload it later but It's really good and I just want to do more like that because I always got them wrong the first time

Thanks!

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2017, 02:01:40 pm »
I have this worksheet at home so I can't post a photo until tonight but it basically has a random assortment of all topics where the questions, although in the scope of 2u, they make you think. You can't just rote do them which I find you easily get away with for most of 2u. Ill upload it later but It's really good and I just want to do more like that because I always got them wrong the first time

Thanks!
Bump. Still waiting :P

georgiia

• Trendsetter
Compilation of solutions to HARD past HSC papers (2U)
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2017, 06:36:46 pm »

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2017, 07:44:39 pm »
Most of the questions in that picture seem fairly reasonable to me and don't really involve any tricks.

Something like Q2 is just an example of geometry going haywire and that has appeared in past HSC papers before (e.g. BOSTES 2013, independents - copyrighted).

Something like Q4a) is probably a bit weirder though. That stuff is more likely to appear in CSSA papers (again, unfortunately copyrighted) because CSSA likes twisting with your brain.

georgiia

• Trendsetter
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2017, 08:15:58 pm »
Most of the questions in that picture seem fairly reasonable to me and don't really involve any tricks.

Something like Q2 is just an example of geometry going haywire and that has appeared in past HSC papers before (e.g. BOSTES 2013, independents - copyrighted).

Something like Q4a) is probably a bit weirder though. That stuff is more likely to appear in CSSA papers (again, unfortunately copyrighted) because CSSA likes twisting with your brain.

Ahh oops forgot to say Q2 was the one I meant, not so much the others.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 08:17:44 pm by RuiAce »

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2017, 08:23:16 pm »
Ahh oops forgot to say Q2 was the one I meant, not so much the others.

It's pretty much just geometry (and on occasion questions like these may involve trig). If this is what you have trouble with, just keep digging through papers and attempt all the questions that involve geometry. Some copyrighted papers do have a fair amount of it but it's not that common in the HSC to be fair (again, 2013 is an example of where it did appear).

Off the top of my head I'm not sure which papers on THSC involve nice geometry questions though. At least, those that require thorough geometry.in combination with trig. The Xuan and Yvette one also involves it but the focus is somewhere completely different
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 08:28:24 pm by RuiAce »

georgiia

• Trendsetter
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2017, 09:12:03 pm »
Ok thanks!

sophiegmaher

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2017, 11:35:12 am »
I don't understand how to do part (iii) of the attached question!
HSC 2017 - Legal | Bio | Eco | Advanced English | Advanced Maths | 1U Religion

Eric11267

• Trendsetter
  • Today three of my enemies I shall strike dead
  • Respect: +41
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2017, 11:40:56 am »
+1
I don't understand how to do part (iii) of the attached question!
By integrating f'(x) between 0 and 6 you know that f(6)-f(0)=A1-A2-6
And since you know f(0) and the values of A1 and A2 you can extrapolate f(6)
Though I'm not too sure of this, so someone correct me if I'm wrong

sophiegmaher

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2017, 10:45:00 am »
Hey I'm confused as to where I've gone wrong for question 16 part (iv) of the 2016 HSC paper. I've attached my working, and I thought I've differentiated correctly by using the product rule but I'm not getting the same result as Jamon in his worked solutions :/
HSC 2017 - Legal | Bio | Eco | Advanced English | Advanced Maths | 1U Religion