Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 09:57:34 pm

Author Topic: VCE Legal Studies Question Thread  (Read 596243 times)  Share 

jeanweasley

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Trust only in yourself
  • Respect: +73
  • School: SHGC
  • School Grad Year: 2013
Re: VCE Legal Studies Question Thread
« Reply #765 on: March 18, 2013, 09:08:51 pm »
For SACs, your teacher is god. Or, rather, whoever is marking it is god. Do what they say.

Ok, Oh, hail thou for getting 50 XD
2014: BA @ Monash University
2015: LLB(Hons)/BA @ Monash University

jeanweasley

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Trust only in yourself
« Reply #766 on: March 27, 2013, 09:18:13 pm »
Just an update for the SAC, at first I was disappointed with my mark and decided not to look at the SAC until later but it turns out that when my teacher was adding the scores in Excel, she actually left out a row so everybody's scores decreased. Anyway, when she redid the marking, I was so happy, I only got 1 mark wrong. (:

Thanks for all your help. I also just finished another SAC today and it wasn't too difficult. (:

michak

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +21
  • School: Westbourne Grammar School
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #767 on: March 27, 2013, 09:30:04 pm »
Just an update for the SAC, at first I was disappointed with my mark and decided not to look at the SAC until later but it turns out that when my teacher was adding the scores in Excel, she actually left out a row so everybody's scores decreased. Anyway, when she redid the marking, I was so happy, I only got 1 mark wrong. (:

Thanks for all your help. I also just finished another SAC today and it wasn't too difficult. (:

Congrats dude :D
2011: Bio [36]
2012: Legal [42] PE [43] Chem [33] English [40] Methods [25] 
ATAR: 93.30
2013: B. Arts at Monash University
2014: Bachelor of Laws/Bachelor of Arts at Monash

jeanweasley

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Trust only in yourself
« Reply #768 on: March 28, 2013, 07:44:24 am »
Congrats dude :D

Thanks. (: I'm just really thankful for the community here at ATARnotes as everybody is so helpful.

jeanweasley

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Trust only in yourself
« Reply #769 on: March 28, 2013, 08:09:45 pm »
+1
Here are just some questions I have used for revision for AOS 1. Feel free to answer them or use them for revision.

1.   Outline the structure of the state and Commonwealth parliaments.
2.   Identify two roles played by the Crown in the Australian parliamentary system.
3.   Explain in detail one principle of the Australian Parliamentary System.
4.   Distinguish between parliament and government.
5.   How does the Commonwealth Constitution reflect the principle of separation of powers?
6.   Outline the differences between the role of the House of Representatives and the role of the Senate.
7.   Outline the role and structure of the Victorian Law Reform Commission.
8.   Identify how individuals or groups may influence a change in the law and describe how they bring about a change in the law.
9.   Distinguish between formal and informal pressures to bring about a change in the law.
10.   What possible weaknesses are there to consider when making a change in the law?
11.   Describe one stage that a bill goes through in Parliament before becoming an Act.
12.   What similarities and differences are there between the first and the third reading?
13.   Explain the certification stage.
14.   What is the role of the second reading stage of a bill through Parliament?

unfamila

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Lad
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #770 on: March 29, 2013, 12:08:59 pm »
In a speech to lawyers in 2001, High court chief justice Murray Gleeson said that 'the failure of so many referendums meant that there was a real risk that the public might expect the high court instead to change the constitution'. Analyse the effectiveness of both referendum and high court interpretation of the constitution as means of changing the division of law-making powers between commonwealth and state parliaments. 8 marks

how do i tackle this question and the quote?

jeanweasley

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Trust only in yourself
« Reply #771 on: March 29, 2013, 09:10:22 pm »
+1
In a speech to lawyers in 2001, High court chief justice Murray Gleeson said that 'the failure of so many referendums meant that there was a real risk that the public might expect the high court instead to change the constitution'. Analyse the effectiveness of both referendum and high court interpretation of the constitution as means of changing the division of law-making powers between commonwealth and state parliaments. 8 marks

I think it asks you about how the referendum can change the wording of the Constitution but the High Court interpretation only changes the meaning. You may want to provide an example of a successful referendum and state the impacts it has had on the law-making powers between State and Commonwealth Parliaments. Also, in talking about the HC interpretation, you may want to say that because of a HC interpretation, it might change the balance of powers between State and Commonwealth and may cause a precedent in being set for future cases.
Firstly, however, I think you have to mention that the Constitution and the HC interpretation are two ways of changing the division of law-making powers.

You may also want to discuss the strengths and weaknesses of the referendum and HC using examples, as I've said before. And if you're not pushed for time, I think you can include an opinion on the issue. For example, you may want to say that HC cases are generally more successful compared to referendums because only 8 out of 44 have passed. However, you may also state that even if the referendum process is harder to satisfy in regards to its requirements, that it's still a useful tool in changing the balance of powers between State and Commonwealth.

unfamila

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Lad
« Reply #772 on: March 29, 2013, 11:44:22 pm »
I think it asks you about how the referendum can change the wording of the Constitution but the High Court interpretation only changes the meaning. You may want to provide an example of a successful referendum and state the impacts it has had on the law-making powers between State and Commonwealth Parliaments. Also, in talking about the HC interpretation, you may want to say that because of a HC interpretation, it might change the balance of powers between State and Commonwealth and may cause a precedent in being set for future cases.
Firstly, however, I think you have to mention that the Constitution and the HC interpretation are two ways of changing the division of law-making powers.

You may also want to discuss the strengths and weaknesses of the referendum and HC using examples, as I've said before. And if you're not pushed for time, I think you can include an opinion on the issue. For example, you may want to say that HC cases are generally more successful compared to referendums because only 8 out of 44 have passed. However, you may also state that even if the referendum process is harder to satisfy in regards to its requirements, that it's still a useful tool in changing the balance of powers between State and Commonwealth.
thank you very much

meganrobyn

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #773 on: March 30, 2013, 01:20:32 am »
+1

The task word is 'analyse' which means opinion (on the effectiveness of referenda vs HCA interp) plus strengths and weaknesses relating to it. That's it.

Since it doesn't ask you to describe you don't need any definition/example/etc content, and you won't really get marks for it unless it's linked with your strengths and weaknesses.

The quotation isn't referred to in the question so it can be treated as irrelevant. But I'd chuck it in my opinion anyway :)
[Update: full for 2018.] I give Legal lectures through CPAP, and am an author for the CPAP 'Legal Fundamentals' textbook and the Legal 3/4 Study Guide.
Available for private tutoring in English and Legal Studies.
Experience in Legal 3/4 assessing; author of Legal textbook; degrees in Law and English; VCE teaching experience in Legal Studies and English. Legal Studies [50] English [50] way back when.
Good luck!

unfamila

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Lad
« Reply #774 on: April 03, 2013, 01:13:44 pm »
what sections of the constitution do we have to specifically know?
eg s.109 s.128 s.51(...) s.76
when answering a question on high court cases do we have to state the specific section in our answer?... eg Brislan case s.51(v)
and would it be a disadvantage to use the brislan case?

michak

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #775 on: April 03, 2013, 01:17:29 pm »
+1
what sections of the constitution do we have to specifically know?
eg s.109 s.128 s.51(...) s.76
when answering a question on high court cases do we have to state the specific section in our answer?... eg Brislan case s.51(v)
and would it be a disadvantage to use the brislan case?

basically you need to know 128, 51,52, all the restrictions on commonwealth law making power (eg. 116, religion), all restrictions on state law-making power. Oh also the section that you use for your successful referendum (eg. aboriginas section 51 (xxvi)
In regards to high court cases my teacher said you need to know the sections.

Why would it be a disadvanatge to use brislan?

unfamila

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Lad
« Reply #776 on: April 03, 2013, 01:24:35 pm »
thank you

And there's not that much to write about in brislan as it's not as complex, but I think i'll use it now :)

vashappenin

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +31
« Reply #777 on: April 04, 2013, 08:03:35 pm »
Just a few questions:
-Do we need to know all the examples under structural protection (representative and responsible govt. separation of powers), express (all 5) and implied rights (freedom of political communication along with all the little acts and stuff within the explanation)? And in how much detail?
- Do we need to know about the enforcement of rights (watchdog and complaints-based)?
- How many strengths and weaknesses of the constitutional protection of rights do we need to know? Will we ever get asked and extended response type question on these particular strengths and weaknesses (what's the most marks we'll be asked for on this particular thing?)
-When answering evaluate questions (like q1 from 4.7 in justice and outcomes) do we always have to link a strength with a weakness or can we just have a  few strengths in a para and then a few weaknesses in a para and an evaluative statement at the end? Because there's some good strengths/weaknesses that don't really have a corresponding strength/weakness. Does it always have to be a strength countered by a weakness (vice versa)?
- With Roach, did she question the validity of the 2006 amendment or the 2004 act or both?

THANKS! :)
2013: English, Maths Methods, Further Maths, Legal Studies, HHD, Psychology
2014-present: Bachelor of Laws @ Monash University

Tutoring VCE English, Psych, Legal Studies and HHD in 2016! Tutoring via Skype too. PM me if you're interested :)

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2593
« Reply #778 on: April 04, 2013, 08:23:01 pm »
+2
*Didn't score that well in Legal studies and it's been a while but I feel like I can answer these, someone, please correct me if I'm wrong and subsequently fucking up some kid's education*

-Do we need to know all the examples under structural protection (representative and responsible govt. separation of powers), express (all 5) and implied rights (freedom of political communication along with all the little acts and stuff within the explanation)? And in how much detail?
I would definitely know all three structural protections. I still know all five express rights, so I'd recommend learning them all because I must have for some reason, right? I don't see them asking you to regurgitate all five of them on the exam though. I don't think you have to go too crazy on the freedom of political communication cases - I knew a moderate amount about Theophanus V. Herald Weekly Times.

- Do we need to know about the enforcement of rights (watchdog and complaints-based)?
I have no idea what this question is.

- How many strengths and weaknesses of the constitutional protection of rights do we need to know? Will we ever get asked and extended response type question on these particular strengths and weaknesses (what's the most marks we'll be asked for on this particular thing?)
No one can really answer this except for the script writers... My approach was to treat everything as if it were going to be a ten mark question (a lot of stuff was on my SACs) so the way I broke down my marks that'd be five strengths and five weaknesses for everything. Although, I see it as unlikely they'd be as specific as to say "Evaluate constitutional protection"... From my perspective it'd more likely be a comparison question, or perhaps a smaller evaluation. I'd personally learn five (I was a paranoid learner with Legal), but if you were more relaxed you could probably get away with not learning so many.

-When answering evaluate questions (like q1 from 4.7 in justice and outcomes) do we always have to link a strength with a weakness or can we just have a  few strengths in a para and then a few weaknesses in a para and an evaluative statement at the end? Because there's some good strengths/weaknesses that don't really have a corresponding strength/weakness. Does it always have to be a strength countered by a
Nope, juxtaposition is no longer a requirement for evaluate questions (I think it may have been prior to 2011). The way you've suggested I think would be an acceptable structure for full marks, however, I'd recommend juxtaposing as best you can. I think it shows a good understanding, makes it easier for you to remember personally, and is just simpler to write in an exam and demonstrate your merit for each mark. But yeah, to answer your question, it doesn't always have to be juxtaposed. I'm rusty, but I don't think you'd be awarded a mark for an evaluative statement (unless they asked your opinion), so if you were going to do one, I'd still quantify strengths and weaknesses based on the available marks (Eight marks - four str/four wkns)

- With Roach, did she question the validity of the 2006 amendment or the 2004 act or both?
She challenged both, however it was ruled that 2006 was invalid and 2004 was valid, so the 2004 act stood but Howard's amendments got thrown out.
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

michak

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #779 on: April 04, 2013, 09:29:50 pm »
+1
Just a few questions:
- How many strengths and weaknesses of the constitutional protection of rights do we need to know? Will we ever get asked and extended response type question on these particular strengths and weaknesses (what's the most marks we'll be asked for on this particular thing?)
-When answering evaluate questions (like q1 from 4.7 in justice and outcomes) do we always have to link a strength with a weakness or can we just have a  few strengths in a para and then a few weaknesses in a para and an evaluative statement at the end? Because there's some good strengths/weaknesses that don't really have a corresponding strength/weakness. Does it always have to be a strength countered by a weakness (vice versa)?

THANKS! :)

1. Need to know all the structural protections, express rights and the implied right in a great amount of detail. This is includes constitution sections and relevant cases. Always mentioned in exams in some form.

2. Don't need to know this

3. like brendan said for any topic that could have a strength/weakness question of evaluate question I learnt 5 and its corresponding weaknesses, because this covers you just in case you get a 10 mark question, or you may also get a question where they are like give two strengths except for blah, and that blah is one of your examples and you may not know others.

4. This is tricky, evaluate you don't have to but critically evaluate you do. I always did the strength and the corresponding weakness because it just flows better. I would do just to get into the habit and you wont lose marks if you do it in an evaluate question.

5. She challgned the validity of both acts.

Oh and Bredan you answers were fine :)

Hope that helps vashappenin