Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 05:23:45 am

Author Topic: VCE Legal Studies Question Thread  (Read 596302 times)  Share 

cltf

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • You gotta be F***ing kidding.
  • Respect: +13
  • School: Camberwell Grammar School
  • School Grad Year: 2011
Re: VCE Legal Studies Question Thread
« Reply #705 on: November 07, 2011, 10:00:26 pm »
2 questions.

1. Describe the operation of VCAT
2. Explain the jurisdiction of 3 lists in VCAT
Camberwell Grammar School Class of 2011

ATAR: 98.65

2010: Chinese [33]
2011: English[44] Methods [41] Chemistry [42] Legal Studies [41] Viscom [48]
2012: Commerce/Law @ Monash University

Tragesty

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +1
  • School: Wheelers Hill Secondary College
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #706 on: November 07, 2011, 10:02:19 pm »
Thanks Liuy!

Liuy

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +5
  • School: Melbourne High School
« Reply #707 on: November 07, 2011, 10:18:47 pm »
2 questions.

1. Operation is essentially the role, along with maybe giving the 3 divisions (Human Rights, Administrative, Civil)
2. Not needed for new course, maybe one list to have up your sleeve as your example.
'10: Chinese SLA [38]
'11: Legal Studies [50] | English [44] | Physical Education [41] | Psychology [31] + Methods
ATAR:97.85

'12: Monash University - Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Laws

eeps

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +343
« Reply #708 on: November 08, 2011, 03:13:04 pm »
+1
2 questions.

1. Operation is essentially the role, along with maybe giving the 3 divisions (Human Rights, Administrative, Civil)
2. Not needed for new course, maybe one list to have up your sleeve as your example.

For the first question, it may also be good to mention/and or describe the composition of VCAT in your response, depending on the marks allocated to the question.

Rhettski999

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #709 on: November 10, 2011, 09:50:58 pm »
How do you guys think the assessors are going to distribute the extra 10 marks? Like smaller, easier questions which rely simply on recount (1 or 2 markers), or evaluative 6/8 marker?
2011 Results
English-37/ A, A+, A.
Literature-36/ B, A, A (20/20 for Hamlet)-My life is complete :P
Legal Studies-43/ A+, A+, A+
Australian History-33/ B+, B+, B+
Health and Human Development-39/  A, A+, A+

2010:
Religion and Society- 29 (LOL)

ATAR- 89.10

billius1

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #710 on: November 10, 2011, 10:57:18 pm »
How do you guys think the assessors are going to distribute the extra 10 marks? Like smaller, easier questions which rely simply on recount (1 or 2 markers), or evaluative 6/8 marker?

My opinion is they will hit it down with maybe 2 one mark questions (don't underestimate these, they don't need to be as easy as one would think. One mark questions of court jurisdictions for example can probe real knowledge), and 2 four markers or a 4 and a 2. They won't give you more than one 8 mark question i don't think, because they can't expect to add on an extended response without giving more time, because they usually take more than 2 marks a minute anyway, let alone less than that.

Rhettski999

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #711 on: November 11, 2011, 09:22:44 am »
Yeah I suppose that makes sense as it would be fairer for students, yet even with a lower mark distribution my suspicion is that thousands of kids won't finish the paper and thus the 10 marker will evade the assessors eyes. My legal teacher has given us a 10 marker a week and has said if it looks reasonably hard, we should complete it at the start and allocate no more than 18 minutes on that. With a rush on those 1 or 2 markers (Even court jurisdictions are in my opinion easy if you practise answering the questions and couple that with an excellent knowledge of all jurisdictions in Victoria, thus allowing you to just fly out an answer) you'll be able to give more time at the end maybe..
2011 Results
English-37/ A, A+, A.
Literature-36/ B, A, A (20/20 for Hamlet)-My life is complete :P
Legal Studies-43/ A+, A+, A+
Australian History-33/ B+, B+, B+
Health and Human Development-39/  A, A+, A+

2010:
Religion and Society- 29 (LOL)

ATAR- 89.10

billius1

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #712 on: November 12, 2011, 10:52:08 am »
+1
Yeah I suppose that makes sense as it would be fairer for students, yet even with a lower mark distribution my suspicion is that thousands of kids won't finish the paper and thus the 10 marker will evade the assessors eyes. My legal teacher has given us a 10 marker a week and has said if it looks reasonably hard, we should complete it at the start and allocate no more than 18 minutes on that. With a rush on those 1 or 2 markers (Even court jurisdictions are in my opinion easy if you practise answering the questions and couple that with an excellent knowledge of all jurisdictions in Victoria, thus allowing you to just fly out an answer) you'll be able to give more time at the end maybe..

That sounds like an okay plan, but I strongly recommend that if your planning on spending that long on an extended response (which is good, as it will secure a 10 because you can write a lot) don't do it at the start. do it last so you can just spend the remainder of your time on it, because you don't want to get to the position where you're unable to get easy marks (like 4 mark questions) because you spent too long getting a mere 10 marks.

jurisdiction questions are usually very easy or very hard. look at last years exam: the correct answer was County Court, but they accepted all answers because it was too difficult for students to know (even though it was implied on the study design). Make sure you really look at the question to make sure there are no tricks. For example, minor assault sounds County, but really it's Magistrate's Court. same with, i think maybe it was a 2007 question, where some friend had to ask advice about a plasma theft or something.

nacho

• The Thought Police
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +418
« Reply #713 on: November 12, 2011, 12:55:58 pm »
is an amendment to the bill most likely to be made during the second reading stage or the consideration in detail/comittee of the whole stage?

second reading is the most substantial debate, whereas consideration in detail is..well consideration in detail O-O
OFFICIAL FORUM RULE #1:
TrueTears is my role model so find your own

2012: BCom/BSc @ Monash
[Majors: Finance, Actuarial Studies, Mathematical Statistics]
[Minors: Psychology/ Statistics]

"Baby, it's only micro when it's soft".
-Bill Gates

Upvote me

cltf

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • You gotta be F***ing kidding.
  • Respect: +13
  • School: Camberwell Grammar School
« Reply #714 on: November 12, 2011, 02:47:26 pm »
is an amendment to the bill most likely to be made during the second reading stage or the consideration in detail/comittee of the whole stage?

second reading is the most substantial debate, whereas consideration in detail is..well consideration in detail O-O

Amendments are made all over the place, at the end of second reading, mostly in the consideration stage, and when the bill is passed back from the other house.
Camberwell Grammar School Class of 2011

ATAR: 98.65

2010: Chinese [33]
2011: English[44] Methods [41] Chemistry [42] Legal Studies [41] Viscom [48]
2012: Commerce/Law @ Monash University

Zafaraaaa

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #715 on: November 12, 2011, 03:10:29 pm »
For extended response questions, can we structure it like:

Firstly... *get straight into first point*
Secondly...
Thirdly....
Fourthly...
Finally...

or do they expect topic sentences for each new point??
"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle" -Plato

damo707

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +5
  • School: Mazenod College
« Reply #716 on: November 12, 2011, 03:48:30 pm »
What is judicial determination?
What kind of questions have you guys seen asked about it?
2010: Religion and Society [40]->41 | International Studies [35]->38

2011: English | Mathematical Methods (CAS) | Economics | Legal Studies | Business Management

RobDog

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: -1
« Reply #717 on: November 12, 2011, 04:07:50 pm »
Judicial Determination is the process you would normally associate with when a case goes to court.

Basically, the parties to a case present their arguments and evidence to a judicial officer, (eg. judge, magistrate) who makes a legally binding decision about the outcome of the case.

zoeee

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #718 on: November 12, 2011, 04:26:34 pm »
1. what are the factors that influence the composition of a jury? is that like eligble, ineligble etc.
2. two reasons for the low success rate of a referendum ? double majority and...

thank you

RobDog

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: -1
« Reply #719 on: November 12, 2011, 04:44:44 pm »
1. Yeah, so you can go through Disqualified, Ineligible and Excused
Also, remember the challenges. In criminal juries, each party is entitled to SIX Peremptory Challenges, these are challenges that need no reason as to why the party want's a certain potential juror removed. In Civil Juries each party has THREE of these challenges.
Then there's also For Cause Challenges, each party has UNLIMITED number of these challenges in both civil and criminal, however they must provide a valid reason.

• Level of voter understanding
- lack of understanding for process & arguments, as well as confusion surrounding proposal may lead to voters voting 'no' to keep things as is.
  • Resistance to change
- voters may be conservative, or believe current situations are owrking well for them currently, they will vote 'no'.
  • Voter scepticism of Federal Parliament Power
- many voters may see a referendum as a way of giving the Federal Parliament more power, which many are reluctant to do, and therefore vote 'no'[/list]