Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 17, 2024, 06:03:36 am

Author Topic: VCE Legal Studies Question Thread  (Read 598309 times)  Share 

nacho

• The Thought Police
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +418
Re: VCE Legal Studies Question Thread
« Reply #270 on: January 21, 2011, 07:15:36 pm »
B) in what way is the australian parliamentary system a constitutional monarchy?
We have a governor-general/governor, which represents the Queen. I think that's right.
A constitutional monarchy is where a monarch is the head of state. The Queen (in our case, the monarch) acts as a figurehead and her role is mainly ceremonial. It is most common for her to consult/take advice from the government before using her political power.
It should also be noted that, the Queen is bound by the Australian constitution, which outline the rules by which Australia will be governed.

I'm starting to dislike this textbook (Justice and outcomes 11e), despite it's exceptional aesthetics the theory is meh.. And what is "11e" anyway lol

also, does anyone have the answers to my textbook?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 07:26:32 pm by nacho »
OFFICIAL FORUM RULE #1:
TrueTears is my role model so find your own

2012: BCom/BSc @ Monash
[Majors: Finance, Actuarial Studies, Mathematical Statistics]
[Minors: Psychology/ Statistics]

"Baby, it's only micro when it's soft".
-Bill Gates

Upvote me

eeps

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +343
« Reply #271 on: January 21, 2011, 07:28:07 pm »
B) in what way is the australian parliamentary system a constitutional monarchy?
We have a governor-general/governor, which represents the Queen. I think that's right.
A constitutional monarchy is where a monarch is the head of state. The Queen (in our case, the monarch) acts as a figurehead and her role is mainly ceremonial. It is most common for her to consult/take advice from the government before using her political power.
It should also be noted that, the Queen is bound by the Australian constitution, which outline the rules by which Australia will be governed.

I'm starting to dislike this textbook (Justice and outcomes 11e), despite it's exceptional aesthetics the theory is meh.. And what is "11e" anyway lol

Isn't that what I essentially said, about having a governor-general/governor who represents the Queen?

If you don't like the textbook, if you have the money, buy another Legal Studies textbook for your own use; it may better explain the information than the one prescribed by your school. I've got three textbooks for this year.

nacho

• The Thought Police
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #272 on: January 21, 2011, 07:34:03 pm »

Isn't that what I essentially said, about having a governor-general/governor who represents the Queen?

If you don't like the textbook, if you have the money, buy another Legal Studies textbook for your own use; it may better explain the information than the one prescribed by your school. I've got three textbooks for this year.

Oh, three is a lot, which of them do you like best? Is there much of a variation between the three in terms of structure and styles of questions?
I may just stick to this textbook and use my 1/2 stuff to clear things up, and maybe buy some study guides

Q. In the constitution, the executive power is vested in the queen. Does this mean that the queen makes decisions about what laws should be passed? Explain.

- I know she doesn't, and that the governor general has to give their royal assent for a law to be passed (amongst other things) but what else would you write?
Anything about her being bound to the constitution, or is that irrelevant?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 07:38:27 pm by nacho »
OFFICIAL FORUM RULE #1:

-Bill Gates

Upvote me

lilaznkev1n

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • illuminati
  • Respect: +19
  • School: Haileybury College
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #273 on: January 21, 2011, 07:36:49 pm »
Cover everything just to be sure?

A) what is the Westminster System?

It's the system on which the the Australian Parliament is based; where you have two houses, the upper and lower house. Bicameral.
This question is similar to the very first question on the 2010 exam "Outline the structure of the Victorian Parliament" and you said correctly that it is bicameral and that there are two houses, but I think that for you to gain the full 2 marks, you would need to mention that there is also a queens representative.
2010: Accounting [45], Legal Studies [42]
2011: Methods [38], English [41], Chem [37], Revolutions [44], Vietnamese [22]
ATAR: 97.45
2012-2014: B.Com @ Melb

eeps

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #274 on: January 21, 2011, 07:40:54 pm »
Oh, three is a lot, which of them do you like best? Is there much of a variation between the three in terms of structure and styles of questions?
I may just stick to this textbook and use my 1/2 stuff to clear things up, and maybe buy some study guides

Not really. They're all pretty good; "Making & Breaking the Law", "Key Concepts" and "Justice and Outcomes". The lecturer at TSFX said the same thing. It doesn't really matter what textbook you have, they're all good this year. I have e-book copies of the three textbooks. I've kept my Units 1/2 stuff as well; I guess some parts of Units 3/4 is a repeat of Units 1/2, hence it may be useful later on. I've only bought the Cambridge Checkpoints 2011 in terms of study guides.

nacho

• The Thought Police
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #275 on: January 21, 2011, 07:41:03 pm »

It's the system on which the the Australian Parliament is based; where you have two houses, the upper and lower house. Bicameral.
This question is similar to the very first question on the 2010 exam "Outline the structure of the Victorian Parliament" and you said correctly that it is bicameral and that there are two houses, but I think that for you to gain the full 2 marks, you would need to mention that there is also a queens representative.
Hey could u have a shot at answering: Q. In the constitution, the executive power is vested in the queen. Does this mean that the queen makes decisions about what laws should be passed? Explain.

Also, you only lost 4 marks in the exam, is that seriously only a 42? I'm assuming your SACs must have let you down right? Is it easy to lose marks in legal studies? I know for I.T Apps, you have a very good score if you lose ~10ish marks, probably not the same for legal though right?

Would you mind uploading the 3 e-books?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 07:42:39 pm by nacho »
OFFICIAL FORUM RULE #1:

-Bill Gates

Upvote me

eeps

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #276 on: January 21, 2011, 08:06:56 pm »

They're too big to upload on VN. Unless I have MediaFire or RapidShare, then I can; though I don't know how to use those websites.

lilaznkev1n

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • illuminati
  • Respect: +19
  • School: Haileybury College
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #277 on: January 21, 2011, 09:37:13 pm »

Hey could u have a shot at answering: Q. In the constitution, the executive power is vested in the queen. Does this mean that the queen makes decisions about what laws should be passed? Explain.

Also, you only lost 4 marks in the exam, is that seriously only a 42? I'm assuming your SACs must have let you down right? Is it easy to lose marks in legal studies? I know for I.T Apps, you have a very good score if you lose ~10ish marks, probably not the same for legal though right?

Executive power is one of the principles of the separation of powers and it is the power to implement and administer laws. It is exercised by the Governor-General which is the queens representative. However, this does not mean that the queen makes laws about what laws should be passed as the governor-general acts on the advice of the government. Due to the queens representative acting on the advice of the government this will mean that the queens representative holds this power in theory but in practice it is wielded by the government therefore the queen doesn't directly makes decisions about what laws should be passed.

We never went into so much detail about the separation of powers last year so my answer might not be complete.
Yeah my SAC's last year let me down. Here is what I got:
GA1: A (87/100)   GA2: A+ (94/100) GA3: A+ (112/120)
My friend got the same exam score as me but got nearly 100% on all his sacs and managed a study score of 45.
For legal this year the A+ cutoff was 53/60 and marks isn't that hard to lose. For questions that are worth 2 or 4 marks, you have to have specific points to gain full marks therefore they are harder to lose marks on. While, 6,8,10 mark questions are marked globally which means the examiner marks it not according to how many points you have, but the strength of your arguments so I find that these questions are easier to lose marks on.

If you get above 90% on all your sacs you should do fine study score wise.
2010: Accounting [45], Legal Studies [42]
2011: Methods [38], English [41], Chem [37], Revolutions [44], Vietnamese [22]
ATAR: 97.45
2012-2014: B.Com @ Melb

eeps

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #278 on: January 22, 2011, 10:23:37 am »

That's true. I don't know where my other post went; but, I went to the TSFX Legal Studies lecture just recently and I found it to be quite good. Aside from the general view that people have of TSFX; the notes were good and detailed, as well the lecturers, who I thought, spoke reasonably well. I'd go again to their lectures, if they ran one prior to the end-of-year exam. It was worth the money in my opinion. I'd being willing to post some cases up - if anyone wants me to; the notes gave a whole stack of cases that can be referred to in SACs and the end-of-year exam.

nacho

• The Thought Police
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #279 on: January 22, 2011, 12:05:41 pm »
I'd being willing to post some cases up - if anyone wants me to; the notes gave a whole stack of cases that can be referred to in SACs and the end-of-year exam.

Are the notes that they gave you supposed to cover the whole course, or just unit 3?
OFFICIAL FORUM RULE #1:

-Bill Gates

Upvote me

eeps

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #280 on: January 22, 2011, 12:12:24 pm »
I'd being willing to post some cases up - if anyone wants me to; the notes gave a whole stack of cases that can be referred to in SACs and the end-of-year exam.

Are the notes that they gave you supposed to cover the whole course, or just unit 3?

Mainly Unit 3. They have another lecture sometime during the year to cover Unit 4.

eeps

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #281 on: January 24, 2011, 08:30:58 pm »
How is everyone going for Legal?

I've done nothing for about two weeks and I go back to school on Thursday. I'm still on the Constitution. I might start studying for my first SAC which is in late February; make flash cards/do practice SACs and so on. I've covered everything on my first SAC, I just need to look over the content again. How about you guys?

Tobias Funke

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #282 on: January 25, 2011, 11:40:47 pm »
I've only read the first few pages, back Friday week
sometimes I feel as if I'd be more enriched in life if I bought an RV and started cooking meth

chrisjb

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • ROAR
  • Respect: +64
« Reply #283 on: January 28, 2011, 06:47:29 pm »
How is everyone going for Legal?

I've done nothing for about two weeks and I go back to school on Thursday. I'm still on the Constitution. I might start studying for my first SAC which is in late February; make flash cards/do practice SACs and so on. I've covered everything on my first SAC, I just need to look over the content again. How about you guys?
wow, this time last year I hadn't even done the holiday homework that was set. Our class didn't even do constitution SAC untill term 2 (studied my ass off in the term1-2 holiday for it). You're way ahead man.
2011: 96.35
2012: http://www.thegapyear2012.com/
2013: Arts (Global) Monash
2016: Juris Doctor (somewhere)

werdna

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +287
« Reply #284 on: January 28, 2011, 06:53:58 pm »
Today I started reading (aloud) chapter 1 from both Justice&Outcomes and Key Concepts textbooks, then did some writing on the whiteboard, then handwrote all the notes for AOS1. Will do questions for it tomorrow.