Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 07:36:20 pm

Author Topic: VCE Legal Studies Question Thread  (Read 596216 times)  Share 

eeps

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +343
Re: VCE Legal Studies Question Thread
« Reply #150 on: December 24, 2010, 02:01:08 pm »
In addition, how would people got about this question:

Outline the structure of the Commonwealth Parliament. (4 marks)

The answer is obvious, I mean, in terms of answering the question. You have the upper house (Senate), lower house (House of Representatives) and the Crown (Governor-General). Would I just list a couple of functions for each house, the Crown and talk about how many seats are in each house?..

That's my worry for Legal; overcompensating on a question, which may not require a lot of information. I'm fine with the content and all, it's more answering the question.

Thanks to anyone who can help me!

EDIT: Thanks to _avO for stickying this thread.

flash36

« Reply #151 on: December 24, 2010, 03:15:18 pm »
Not sure about the first one, I would say it means that if you "join" a political party, you could have a say in who represents that party at the next election.

The second one; no need to mention their functions, just number of seats/members, where these come from (eg HoR 150 members from 150 electorates), and the length of their terms of office.

chrisjb

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • ROAR
  • Respect: +64
« Reply #152 on: December 24, 2010, 03:25:31 pm »
I've got a question, in relation to "changing the law"...

Political parties

An individual does not have to stand for election to influence the decisions made by political parties; they can join a political party. Joining a political party gives the individual two ways of influencing change:

● by influencing the types of policies that are developed by the political party
by becoming involved in the process used to select candidates to represent the party at the next election.

Could someone explain the second dot point to me?.. I don't get that one.
internal voting occurs in almost all political parties (definately the four major parties and almost definately the minor ones). This is where they vote for the member of the party to stand in a certain seat (known as pre-selection). This is not aplicable for independant members of parl't.
2011: 96.35
2012: http://www.thegapyear2012.com/
2013: Arts (Global) Monash
2016: Juris Doctor (somewhere)

eeps

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #153 on: December 24, 2010, 05:51:25 pm »
Cheers for the help guys.

eeps

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #154 on: December 24, 2010, 07:07:42 pm »
Here are my notes for "Law and society - an introduction" from my textbook, Making & Breaking the Law. It's really revision from Units 1/2.

eeps

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #155 on: December 25, 2010, 03:17:07 pm »
Question 9 (5 marks)

Discuss how the Victorian Law Reform Commission can influence a change in the law. In your response you must:

• give an example of a case that that has been investigated by this body,
• list the composition of the body,
• what do they ultimately produce and for whom.

That question was on my school's SAC last year for AOS 1. If anyone could help, that would be greatly appreciated!

lilaznkev1n

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • illuminati
  • Respect: +19
  • School: Haileybury College
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #156 on: December 25, 2010, 05:19:10 pm »
Question 9 (5 marks)

Discuss how the Victorian Law Reform Commission can influence a change in the law. In your response you must:

• give an example of a case that that has been investigated by this body,
• list the composition of the body,
• what do they ultimately produce and for whom.

That question was on my school's SAC last year for AOS 1. If anyone could help, that would be greatly appreciated!

The Victorian Law Reform Commission is a central agenncy for developing law reform in Victoria. The VLRC's major responsibility is to research issues the Victorian Attorney-General refers to it,o has the power to recommend minor changes to the law without a reference. Additionally, members of the community may suggest areas of reform and following this the VLRC will undertake initial research in order to determine whether the matter is in the public interest to pursue by briefing the Attorney-General in order to seek terms of reference. If reference is received they undertake research by consulting members of the public and experts. They ultimately produce a final report which includes recommendations for change and presented to the Attorney-General (Rob Hulls if I remembered correctly). They Attorney-General tables the report in Victorian Parliament and the government decides whether to draft legislation that incorporates all, some or none of these recommendations to be initiated in Victorian Parliament. In this way, the VLRC can influence change in the law. An example of a reform that was developed by the VLRC is the defense to homicide reform which influenced Parliament to abolish the partial defence of provocation.

That is how I would answer the question but it has been over a month since i answered a legal question so it might not give you full marks.
It's five marks so I would be aiming at around 10 lines on your SAC page to answer this question which you should spend a maximum of 10 minutes on.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2010, 05:20:41 pm by lilaznkev1n »
2010: Accounting [45], Legal Studies [42]
2011: Methods [38], English [41], Chem [37], Revolutions [44], Vietnamese [22]
ATAR: 97.45
2012-2014: B.Com @ Melb

eeps

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #157 on: December 25, 2010, 05:29:41 pm »
Thanks! =D

eeps

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #158 on: December 26, 2010, 10:31:12 pm »
How would people go about answering this:

The ideology behind the Doctrine of Separation of Powers is to protect institutions from outside influence. How is this achieved? (4 marks)

Would you just talk about the functions (i.e. Legislative, Administrative/Executive and Judicial)?.. or not?

Thanks to anyone who can help!

chrisjb

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • ROAR
  • Respect: +64
« Reply #159 on: December 27, 2010, 01:09:09 am »
How would people go about answering this:

The ideology behind the Doctrine of Separation of Powers is to protect institutions from outside influence. How is this achieved? (4 marks)

Would you just talk about the functions (i.e. Legislative, Administrative/Executive and Judicial)?.. or not?

This question is open to interpretation. I read it as "what mechanisms are in place within the DoSP which help to ensure that the three arms remain seperate?" This is slightly obscure as you would generaly be asked to explain the doctrine or its effects rather than how it works, which requires a different angle. The way I would do it is:

1) brief explination of the doctrine (I would keep it brief as the focus is on 'how' rather than 'what')
2) Why the doctrine exists- mainly to avoid corruption.
3) How the doctrine achieves this-  Impartiality of judges (and perhaps refference the "recent" implementation of 5 year terms for some judges affecting this), the original role of the governor general and executive council and the supremecy of parliament and the extent to which it is supreme.

something along the lines of:

The doctrine of precedent provides that the body that makes the law (legislature), the body that enforces and interprets the law as well as settles disputes (the judiciary) and the executive institution remain three seperate and independant institutions.
The primary objective of this doctrine is to avoid the spread of corruption across the three arms as well as limiting it within any of the three institutions.
The doctrine provides a number of checks which are aimed at achieving this. For example, in an effort to provide independance for the legislature it is ensured that Parliament remains a supreme law making body and a parliament is only restricted by that parliament's constituion(s). Further, the judiciary's impartiality is protected as it is ensured that judges are not subject to political influence or pressure and are able to make decisions without bias (add in refference to 5 year term if you want).
Although in Australia the executive arm is strongly linked to the legislature, there remains provisions within the constitution amied at protecting the executive institution to an extent and providing the queens representatives with power (although through convention verry little of the Governors and governor general's executive power is ever used). Such provisions include the need to notify the governor general of a meeting of the executive council and some of the reserve powers.

^that's a lil bit scrappy (haven't done this for a whlie) and it took 4.5 minutes to write so it's about the right length for me.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 01:10:42 am by chrisjb »
2011: 96.35
2012: http://www.thegapyear2012.com/
2013: Arts (Global) Monash
2016: Juris Doctor (somewhere)

eeps

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #160 on: December 27, 2010, 09:41:15 am »
Cheers for the help!

eeps

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #161 on: December 28, 2010, 09:13:21 pm »
Another question:

At what stage in the legislative process is an amendment to a bill most likely to be discussed? Give a reason for your answer. (2 marks)

I was thinking along the lines of "Consideration-in-Detail" - since the bill is examined and debated clause-by-clause, but I'm not 100% sure.

ech_93

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #162 on: December 28, 2010, 09:32:38 pm »
Yep, thats right... I remember stuffing that one up on a practice exam -_-  It's definitely consideration in detail! :)
ATAR aim: 90+
2012- ???

eeps

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #163 on: December 28, 2010, 09:37:15 pm »
Thanks! =D

nacho

• The Thought Police
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +418
« Reply #164 on: December 28, 2010, 09:48:06 pm »
how are you guys studying?
I grabbed the study design dot points, ill probably be taking relevant notes down from there
OFFICIAL FORUM RULE #1:
TrueTears is my role model so find your own

2012: BCom/BSc @ Monash
[Majors: Finance, Actuarial Studies, Mathematical Statistics]
[Minors: Psychology/ Statistics]

"Baby, it's only micro when it's soft".
-Bill Gates

Upvote me