Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 11:46:32 pm

Author Topic: English Extension 1: Discussion, Questions & Potential Solutions  (Read 1735 times)

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes

This thread is for all exam related discussion. Was it easy? Was it hard? What did you get for 'that' tough question?? Feel free to pop any and all of your thoughts below.

If you don't have an ATAR Notes account yet, no stress! Register for free here!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 11:41:09 am by jamonwindeyer »

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

holky

• Forum Regular
Re: English Extension 1: Discussion, Questions & Potential Solutions
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2018, 04:39:22 pm »
I actually liked that exam a lot
Everyone was freaking that they'd give us a tough creative but it was actually pretty nice
The essay was sick as I'm v happy with that question bc I could basically rewrite my essay from trials
Overally really happy with it!

English Advanced  English Extension 1 Modern History CAFS Music 1 Drama

Mathematics 84

varun.amin

• Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2018, 04:51:31 pm »
I definitely agree! The broad essay and creative questions were great and definetly allowed you to interpret the question in different ways for Navigating the Global.
NTG essay: The dialogue based on isolation works really well with Lost in Translation
NTG creative: Interesting question based on disconnection and continuity with the stimulus. This worked quite well with my trials creative so I was able to reproduce that.
Class of 2018:
English Advanced (89) | English Extension One (90) | 2U Maths (92) | Maths Extension One (86)  | Chemistry (89) | Economics (90)

mxrylyn

• Forum Regular
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2018, 06:47:51 pm »
For After the bomb the question essay was:

After the bomb constructs a dialogue about failure.
To what extent.....

For the creative we had to write something that had a mixture of perspectives on Truth and lies, and centred around the idea of "I guess it just depends on how you put the puzzle together"

The creative stimuli for me personally was really really good, and broad. The essay question looked scary at first because I didn't fully understand it, but as I started writing my essay I realised that was also pretty broad. I talked about text written after the bomb construct a dialogue about the ramifications of the failings of humanity.

Definitely really happy with how the test went especially compared to my others

entartung

• Adventurer
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2018, 12:42:48 am »
I found the essay q for ATB pretty good, I discussed failures of government and wider society and its effects on individuals.
Creative wasn't terrible but wasn't great either. I can see how it could work well for many ATB themed creatives, unfortunately mine just didn't.
How much did you all write? I used up the whole booklet for the essay +2 pages from an extra booklet, for creative I had one page left from original booklet.
I have pretty big handwriting though, 4 or 5 words per line.

Jasmine Xie

• Adventurer
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2018, 12:50:18 am »
After the bomb was pretty good (the vague question for creative especially.)
The essay question was kinda weird at first so I wrote it after my creative, I think I figured it out afterwards though.
2018 HSC - English Advanced | English Ext 1 | English Ext 2 | Economics | Visual Arts | Multimedia | Chinese In Context |
ATAR Goal 90
Final ATAR 2018 - 91.60

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2018, 01:57:57 pm »
Felt good coming out of an exam that didn’t make me slowly watch my ATAR goal disintegrate. ATB had a really good set of questions this year objectively speaking.

I loved the essay question! My prepared essay was focused on doubts upon humanity’s direction and purpose in which I translated over to the failure of post-war individuals to attain a sense of personal and social identity. A lot of my friends took the government/authority approach with failure so I hope mine was a valid argument. I used ‘Waiting for Godot’ and Plath’s ‘Words’ and ‘Lady Lazarus’ for the prescribed texts, centralising my essay around the constructions of the texts reflecting social constructs which were political status (failure to have power in a society dominated by other political figures), philosophical outlooks (failure of free will to combat the inevitability of death in the atomic age), economic opportunities (in my case, the lack thereof because of failure) and scientific rationale (failure to have science comprehend the atrocities of the nuclear world). I had heaps of fun with the question and thought it was significantly better than my Trials and half yearlies Questions which was a relief.

The creative was a little tricky for my story. I only had one really significant aspect in my story that related to truths and lies. The pieces quote really suited my story though so I let that carry the story with the truths and lies aspects slowly being adapted as I wrote more of it. I was actually quite sad to say goodbye to this creative because I had poured hours into it and our assessment task in Term 2 was a presentation on what research we did to craft our story and how it relates to ATB. I had become quite attached to it so I was a little sad about finally sending it off.

Overall, I thought the exam was a fantastic way to finish my exams. I’m feeling good about Ext 1 so fingers crossed now for the marking  ;D
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 09:12:54 pm by angewina_naguen »
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music