Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 10:57:53 pm

Author Topic: I received a 99+ ATAR and a perfect GPA - ask me anything.  (Read 92510 times)  Share 

Ionic Doc

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +212
Re: I received a 99+ ATAR and a perfect GPA - ask me anything.
« Reply #150 on: March 14, 2019, 01:12:55 pm »
You can! You can study law either at undergraduate (usually your first degree) or postgraduate (usually after already graduating from a degree). In theory, I could study undergraduate law or postgraduate law if I wanted to and was accepted. However, I chose not to study law after high school, and nothing has changed since then - I don't think it would be right for me. ;D

nicce everyone's different and the last thing u want is to be doing a job that your not interested in..that would be a major RIP
what can you do or become with your qualifications anyways,
just curious  :P
2019/2020 - Psychology | Biology | Chemistry | Methods | Further | English
2021 - Science @ Melbourne University

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #151 on: March 14, 2019, 01:17:52 pm »
+4
nicce everyone's different and the last thing u want is to be doing a job that your not interested in..that would be a major RIP
what can you do or become with your qualifications anyways,
just curious  :P

Interesting question. I haven't really come across many professions at all where a Bachelor of Arts is required. At least, not in the same way that you need to have studied law to practise it, or medicine to practise it. So in that sense, I guess not heaps (although a number of jobs do require an undergraduate degree).

I think what's been more useful for me than the actual qualification has been the skills I've picked up along the way. For example, I think studying Linguistics has certainly helped improve my writing and communication skills - useful in almost any profession.

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

tocoolforschool

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #152 on: March 19, 2019, 08:59:24 am »
+1
What kind of marks should I be getting all year around to get an ATAR above 98?
80+? 90+? 95+?
I may not be the strongest. I may not be the smartest. But I'm damn well going to try my hardest.

Ionic Doc

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +212
« Reply #153 on: March 19, 2019, 10:43:32 am »
+1
hey I just realised who you are
your the guy from the ATAR notes online commercial... ;)

anyways my question:
what was your study routine,  like daily after school
how did you plan what subjects you would study when you were bombarded with homework.
 :)
2019/2020 - Psychology | Biology | Chemistry | Methods | Further | English
2021 - Science @ Melbourne University

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #154 on: March 22, 2019, 12:55:52 pm »
+6
What kind of marks should I be getting all year around to get an ATAR above 98?
80+? 90+? 95+?

Hey toocoolforschool,

Really difficult one to answer, because the raw marks you receive honestly aren't that important. For clarity, it's really important to do well on your SACs, but it's not as though averaging 80 through the year will lead to an 80 ATAR or whatever. This is because different schools have different SACs - and mark differently - so a mark of, say, 60 in a SAC at your school might be completely different to a mark of 60 in a SAC at my school.

For this reason, SAC rankings and then your final exam marks are more pertinent. It's a bit complicated, but you can read more about it here if you're interested.

I think the takeaway should be to do as well as you can on all of your assessments, but try not to worry too much about the actual number. :)

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #155 on: March 22, 2019, 12:58:51 pm »
+7
hey I just realised who you are
your the guy from the ATAR notes online commercial... ;)

anyways my question:
how did you plan what subjects you would study when you were bombarded with homework.
 :)

Think I've spoken about this a bit in this thread, but basically like:

> Get to school a bit early (probably like 8am), read newspapers, study before school.
> School.
> Stay at school for a couple of hours and study.
> Go home, study no more.

I always studied at the same location before school, and also after school (though it was a different location in the morning and in the afternoon, if that makes sense). I pretty much never studied at night - and seldom at home.

It was just a matter of working out what was the biggest priority at the time. I don't think there are any complicated formulae here - it was largely just gut feel. A big part of this is keeping the discipline to study what you need to rather than what you want to.

Jimmmy

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +154
« Reply #156 on: March 24, 2019, 12:07:34 pm »
+1
Hey Joseph,

I've got my AC for EngLang coming up for the informal text/transcript, any tips? It's amazing how differently our new teacher has taught us the AC structure, as compared to last year where the retiring teacher suggested a subsystem-based analysis.

2018 - 2019 (VCE): English Language, Maths Methods, Legal Studies, Global Politics, Business Management (2018), Philosophy
2020 - 2024: Bachelor of Laws (Honours)/Bachelor of Commerce @ Monash University

Ash Grey

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #157 on: March 24, 2019, 09:26:40 pm »
+1
I'm in year 11 and everyone around me tells me that i need to have tuition to get a good atar. I have never gone to any tutors. What should I do?
And any tips on how not to procrastinate?

zuijinde

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #158 on: March 24, 2019, 09:36:57 pm »
+1
I'm in year 11 and everyone around me tells me that i need to have tuition to get a good atar. I have never gone to any tutors. What should I do?
Hey!

I've been tutored ever since I was in grade 2 all the way to year 11. I didn't take my tutor classes seriously until 3 quarters of year 10.
I stopped tutoring in year 12 because I didn't really like the way my tutor taught in year 11, plus I wanted to work. I still managed to get a good atar despite all this.
Getting good scores is more about understanding the topic and applying it to certain situations as opposed to rote learning. Tutors are just there to faciliate your learning.

I'd suggest you go for it, but don't be scared to drop it if you don't like it!
Hope this helps

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #159 on: March 25, 2019, 10:29:12 am »
+3
Hey Joseph,

I've got my AC for EngLang coming up for the informal text/transcript, any tips? It's amazing how differently our new teacher has taught us the AC structure, as compared to last year where the retiring teacher suggested a subsystem-based analysis.

Hey Jimmmy!

Interesting question. My EngLang year was actually the very first that had an analytical commentary. As such, nobody really knew what to expect or what to do - I think teachers included. So I was taught the sub-system approach, which I think in some ways is just simpler and perhaps more intuitive. I used that through Year 12 and did fine, and it's what I was most familiar with.

Since then, I've changed my mind, and I think the "big ideas" approach (which is what I assume you've been taught this year?) is better for a number of reasons, and provides the chance for deeper analysis. I don't think the subsystem approach is wrong by any means (again, it's what I used), but I'd encourage the big ideas approach if you have the choice.

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #160 on: March 25, 2019, 10:32:59 am »
+5

Hey Ash Grey! Welcome to the forums, and thanks for your post. :)

How are you finding Year 11 so far? In many ways, I actually found Year 11 more difficult than Year 12.

Re: tutoring, no, you absolutely do not need to get tutoring to get a good ATAR. I didn't get any tutoring at all in Year 12, nor did many other students who achieved great marks.

Now, that's not to say that tutoring can't be extremely beneficial - I honestly think it can, and is in many circumstances. But I think the idea that you need to get tutoring in order to do well in Year 12 is absolutely misguided. It's a really personal thing, and if you don't think it'll help you, don't pursue it (as was the case with me).

Re: procrastination, I think it's largely a matter of discipline. For me, I procrastinate when I give myself the opportunity to do so - when I have my phone next to me, or when I haven't set myself up to study properly etc. If you work out a nice routine and have a space dedicated to study, where you actively limit potential distractors, I think you're well on the road to avoiding procrastination. This article may also be helpful. :)

Looking forward to seeing you more around the forums!

JR_StudyEd

• MOTM: MAY 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
  • Respect: +171
« Reply #161 on: March 27, 2019, 02:56:36 pm »
+1
So, I can ask you literally anything?  ;) :P

1) Do you personally think that it is better off for you not to study at all than to study ineffectively and inefficiently?
2) Not asking for medical advice here, just your opinion. Are naps good or bad for your health?
3) How do I switch studying between subjects on a given night (i.e. when do you know that it's time to study English after having studied Methods for x minutes?)

Listens to K-Pop (Twice, Red Velvet, MAMAMOO) and Christmas music all year round.

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #162 on: March 27, 2019, 03:24:00 pm »
+4
So, I can ask you literally anything?  ;) :P

Sure, within the constraints of the site rules! ;)

1) Do you personally think that it is better off for you not to study at all than to study ineffectively and inefficiently?

Interesting question. Depends on a lot of factors. For example, do you have finite time, and are you simply looking to learn as much as possible? It would logically follow (IMO), then, that some study - even if poor study - is better than none.

But what if you have finite time and want to do other things? What if you have different priorities? What if you'll study better the next day?

There are very many factors here and I'm not sure I can provide a particularly helpful answer at the moment haha. But to answer your question in a roundabout sort of way, there were many times when I decided not to study because I thought it would be counter-productive in the long run.

2) Not asking for medical advice here, just your opinion. Are naps good or bad for your health?

Honestly I have no idea, but I don't really nap. I think that's mostly because I work 9-5, and generally have decent enough sleep patterns on weekends, too. I know some people who used to nap as soon as they came home, and that gave them a bit of an energy boost for their evening study. But in terms of health, I don't know and it would probably be irresponsible to suggest otherwise.

3) How do I switch studying between subjects on a given night (i.e. when do you know that it's time to study English after having studied Methods for x minutes?)

Personally I preferred, if possible, to focus on 1-2 subjects per day. This meant I could delve a little deeper in those subjects rather than flicking between all of my subjects on a surface level. So it might have been the case that I would study for one in the morning, for example, and then one after school. I also tried to make those subjects as dissimilar as possible just to give myself a break from certain ways of thinking.

In general, though, I'd trust your gut. If you're studying for English but in the back of your head you have a voice going, "mate, you should really be studying for maths", that could be a good sign. I never really used minutes or time spent as a factor - I based it more on intuition. :)

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #163 on: July 08, 2019, 01:27:43 pm »
+3
There was a question here I came to respond to. It's since been deleted but I'm going to respond anyway. It was basically, "how do you keep accountable with to-do lists?"

It's an interesting question, because I think of to-do lists as more a means to an end than an end in and of themselves. That is, I use to-do lists to stay accountable - I've never really thought about keeping accountable with to-do lists, if that makes sense.

I guess it comes down to routine for me. The to-do list is the first thing I do each morning (for work, at least). Not only do I then have the physical reminder of what I have to get through - it also helps clear my mind a bit, and lets me focus on the tasks at hand as I get through them one by one.

I hope that helped at least a little. Always open to answer more questions!

pleasehelp123

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #164 on: July 08, 2019, 02:09:23 pm »
+1
Hey Joseph41,

Thanks for making this thread and congrats on your amazing results!

I had a few questions about your routine during university - how many hours did you study per day (or did you not count the hours and instead just work from your to do list)? And you mentioned that when you were doing VCE you didn’t study at home - what kinds of things did you do when you were at home? Did you ever feel like you should be studying? I feel like I’m wasting a lot of time just watching YouTube and movies and get that nagging feeling that I should be doing more work. Did you ever get that? (I mean it worked out really well for you and not so much for me so just wondering if I should put more time into studying and cut back on my ‘free time’).

Thanks again! :)