Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 04:22:59 am

Author Topic: Does the QCE use Study Scores?  (Read 2830 times)

SlowandSteady

• MOTM: JULY 2019
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +151
Does the QCE use Study Scores?
« on: July 07, 2019, 11:12:49 pm »
+1
Hey guys.
With the introduction of the ATAR in Queensland and my complete ignorance of the system due to being in Year 8  ::), I'm confused as to how the results for the final external examination will be displayed.
I know that the VCE uses Study Scores and the HSC uses a mark out of 100, but when  it comes to the QCE, I'm afraid I've landed ass-back into a steaming pile of higgledy-piggledy.
Thanks for the help in advance.
QCE Class of 2023 :D

Calebark

• biscuits of disappointment
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +2741
Re: Does the QCE use Study Scores?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2019, 11:41:43 pm »
+5
Hey Slowandsteady, welcome to ATAR Notes!

QCE will be using a scaled score out of 100 for each subject. You can find some explanations for it in this thread :)
🐢A turtle has flippers and a tortoise has clubs🐢

SlowandSteady

• Trendsetter
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2019, 12:03:37 am »
+2
Hi. Thanks for clearing that up  :)

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2019, 01:34:05 pm »
+5
Great to have you here, SlowandSteady! How did you come across ATAR Notes?

To elaborate on what Calebark has mentioned above, it'll be more similar to HSC than VCE in the sense that subject scores will be out of 100. The basic idea is really similar for all three (HSC, QCE, VCE), though. I think the important thing to note is that the subject scores aren't really "scores" in the sense that getting an 85, for example, doesn't necessarily mean you have averaged 85% across your assessments - this is a common misconception.

I'd really encourage you to ask whatever questions you have about QCE or any of your subjects (even if you're not quite at QCE level yet - we have lots of more general resources, too!). :) We're always here to help!

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

SlowandSteady

• Trendsetter
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2019, 05:37:44 pm »
+2
Thanks for the warm welcome, Joseph41  ;D
I discovered some really helpful ATAR Notes articles when I started to get excited about the freedom of choosing your own subjects and university in general (I pulled an all-nighter surfing on the UoM website ::)). I'm sure it will come in to be a massively handy resource when I reach QCE level. Looking forward to starting a QCE Journey Journal when all of this becomes more applicable to me.

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2019, 05:39:55 pm »
+2
Thanks for the warm welcome, Joseph41  ;D
I discovered some really helpful ATAR Notes articles when I started to get excited about the freedom of choosing your own subjects and university in general (I pulled an all-nighter surfing on the UoM website ::)). I'm sure it will come in to be a massively handy resource when I reach QCE level. Looking forward to starting a QCE Journey Journal when all of this becomes more applicable to me.

Really cool! What kinda areas would you be interested in at this stage? Might change dramatically over the next few years (certainly did for me), but still interesting!

P.S. Feel free to start a journal now if you want to! Would be awesome to read about your experiences as you go through. I'm sure a lot of people would benefit! :) Definitely not just limited to Year 11/Year 12 or whatever.

SlowandSteady

• Trendsetter
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2019, 06:04:06 pm »
+4
For me, with AI and all those other emerging technologies, software engineering really seems like an exciting field to be apart of.
This sort of stemmed from a love of video games. Although I've lost interest in them, a passion for technology has still remained :P. I saw a past exam for a UniMelb Computer Science subject, and one of the questions was to tell a programming-related joke for the lecturer. It just seems like a field with a really fun atmosphere and I'd like to be apart of that.

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2019, 11:32:20 am »
+1
For me, with AI and all those other emerging technologies, software engineering really seems like an exciting field to be apart of.
This sort of stemmed from a love of video games. Although I've lost interest in them, a passion for technology has still remained :P. I saw a past exam for a UniMelb Computer Science subject, and one of the questions was to tell a programming-related joke for the lecturer. It just seems like a field with a really fun atmosphere and I'd like to be apart of that.

Nice one!

Again, really glad to have you here - looking forward to seeing you post more around the forums. :)