Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 10:20:58 pm

Author Topic: Bachelor of science without methods?  (Read 2022 times)  Share 

BenjaminL_34

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Bachelor of science without methods?
« on: April 23, 2021, 10:10:43 pm »
Hi guys, I am currently in yr11 and want to study a bachelor of science at Monash. I am not doing methods and although it is not a prerequisite I was wondering if I would struggle in this degree if i choose to major in pharmacology. Thanks in advance.

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
Re: Bachelor of science without methods?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2021, 10:16:34 pm »
+5
Hi guys, I am currently in yr11 and want to study a bachelor of science at Monash. I am not doing methods and although it is not a prerequisite I was wondering if I would struggle in this degree if i choose to major in pharmacology. Thanks in advance.
Hi Benjamin! Welcome to ATAR Notes.

If it is not a prerequisite I don't think you should be worried since they won't expect you to know any of the methods contents. If you need to know it for your degree they will teach you it ( I don't think the maths in pharmacology is that heavy).

However, I think in the bachelor of science regardless of major you will have to learn a little bit of mathematics/statistics in first year.

Hope this helps :)

BenjaminL_34

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2021, 10:33:43 pm »

If it is not a prerequisite I don't think you should be worried since they won't expect you to know any of the methods contents. If you need to know it for your degree they will teach you it ( I don't think the maths in pharmacology is that heavy).

However, I think in the bachelor of science regardless of major you will have to learn a little bit of mathematics/statistics in first year.

It does thanks.

Stormbreaker-X

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +31
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2021, 03:33:50 pm »
Sorry to be no help, but would students without methods struggle in the course?

lm21074

• MOTM: JAN 19
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +594
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2021, 03:46:32 pm »
+4
Sorry to be no help, but would students without methods struggle in the course?
No worries at all! :)

You can choose which maths/stats units you'd like to do based on the prior study you have done and there are options for students who have not done methods or any maths.

As Sine said, if you need to know any methods level maths for your degree they will teach you it / there will be option(s) to learn it.

Good luck!
2021: VCE
2022: Science / Arts @ Monash

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2021, 11:38:46 am »
+6

I knew some people who did pharmacology and if I recall correctly, if you struggled with the maths side of VCE Chemistry (not so much the formulation of the calculations but the working out after), then that’s when you should worry about the intensity of the maths. It’s about that level.

Can confirm that maths/stats had to be done eventually but there’s lots of levels so you should be able to find one that suits you.
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

Coolmate

• NSW MVP - 2020
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • 🚀🚀Secret to getting ahead: Get Started!
  • Respect: +456
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2021, 03:35:39 pm »
+3
Hey Benjamin! ;D

I 100% agree with the above,
These are my experiences with the math sides of things of my science degree.

I have to do mandatory (but elective) units to do with maths, like "Statistical Concepts for Science" or "Introductory Statistics", and currently I am completing a unit called, "Mathematical Concepts for Science". In this unit, the extent/ hardest thing we have to learn is Calculus (Just the beginning of it), like derivatives, optimisation, the second derivative, etc.

!But the thing with these units is that you can choose what exactly you want to study. For Example, say you want to study just statistics, then you can choose statistic units, or if you want a general but specific overview of scientific math, then you can choose maths concepts for science.

Then again, I am majoring in Biology, so the maths is not as heavy as a major in Physics, but is equally important

I did the HSC Advanced Maths course, not VCE so I can't really comment on if you need methods for this degree, but I know that the Advanced Maths is actually helping me with this unit.

I hope this helps!
Coolmate 8)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2021, 03:37:32 pm by Coolmate »
🤯HSC 2020:🤯
🔥Advanced Maths🔥 - 📚Advanced English📚 - ☄️Physics☄️ - ✌Biology✌ - 🙏SOR 1🙏 - 👨‍💻IPT👨‍💻

🎓University 2021 - 2025:
Bachelor of Science (Biology) / Bachelor of Information Technology (Cyber Security)

👊Need Motivation Click Here!💪         🌴Bio Marking and Feedback!

🧬Biology Guide:
🧪Module 5