Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 09:20:32 pm

Author Topic: Make Your First Post!  (Read 287611 times)

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +16
Re: Make Your First Post!
« Reply #45 on: August 04, 2016, 01:44:13 pm »
Not my first post but hopefully this helps the AN community to understand me.

3. In the event of a Zombie apocalypse, what you be your weapon of choice?
The most likely real life believable situation for a zombie apocalypse would be some sort of epidemic or disease that turns people into zombie like creatures. In such a case, my weapon of choice would be a vaccination of the particular disease or some sort of treatment or, if available, a cure. I'll probably run some sort of science laboratory where scientists would work on the cure and the prevention of transmission of a disease as such, so that we can eradicate the disease causing this Zombie apocalypse.

So my weapon of choice in summary: Science. (even if I end up dying to find the cure)

4. Who do you want to be as a person, what do you want to achieve?
I want to be one of those people, who wake up, looking forward to work (as opposed to dreading the fact that I go to work). To do that, I want to find what my passion is (which I have yet to do) and pursue that. I'll be living the dream.

5. If you had to summarise your life in a (long) paragraph, what would you say?
I all honestly, I had a life of being heavily bullied in my primary school years, but some people from a rich family. Other people in my year didn't treat me that well either and I was a very unpopular person. Come my first high school. Looking back, that was my Golden era in terms of friendships. I had a pretty good group, which is diverse in their backgrounds and some of them are a little bit of a misfit. There was a particularly smart Ethiopian girl, a signer who is diagnosed with mental health issues, and lots more. Then conflict arises, one which I deeply regret (I wish it never happened). So the group was badly torn apart from then, and to make matter worse, I moved to my current school. So starting at my current school I was rounded like I was a celebrity surrounded by fans. Whilst many would interpret this as a good thing, but my INTP mind didn't like it. They asked me what my favourite TV show was, or my favourite celebrity. Given that I was a pop culture illiterate (and still am) I could not answer these questions. Also, I hated to talk about celebrities because I know nothing about them so I struggled. So come year 10, my favourite year level. I did everything I enjoyed (apart from the having to watch the movie above). And the girls that surrounded me had finally understood me. Then year 11 and 12... And into the great unknown.

No! Its not okay!! ;)
But seriously this was actually really inspiring to read. It is always really insightful to read people's backstories and the problems that they have faced and how to overcome them so good job on that (i would never be brave enough to put much of my real life on here in case someone i dont want to finds it. Also the reason why i have a forum name that doesnt resemble my actual name at all)

But enough of that lets not all get mopey and depressed ;D #3 really reminded of the maze runner for some reason ;)

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2016, 03:29:30 pm »

5. If you had to summarise your life in a (long) paragraph, what would you say?
I all honestly, I had a life of being heavily bullied in my primary school years, but some people from a rich family. Other people in my year didn't treat me that well either and I was a very unpopular person. Come my first high school. Looking back, that was my Golden era in terms of friendships. I had a pretty good group, which is diverse in their backgrounds and some of them are a little bit of a misfit. There was a particularly smart Ethiopian girl, a signer who is diagnosed with mental health issues, and lots more. Then conflict arises, one which I deeply regret (I wish it never happened). So the group was badly torn apart from then, and to make matter worse, I moved to my current school. So starting at my current school I was rounded like I was a celebrity surrounded by fans. Whilst many would interpret this as a good thing, but my INTP mind didn't like it. They asked me what my favourite TV show was, or my favourite celebrity. Given that I was a pop culture illiterate (and still am) I could not answer these questions. Also, I hated to talk about celebrities because I know nothing about them so I struggled. So come year 10, my favourite year level. I did everything I enjoyed (apart from the having to watch the movie above). And the girls that surrounded me had finally understood me. Then year 11 and 12... And into the great unknown.

Good on you for sharing! I love that you said you are "pop culture illiterate." What a great description haha! It sounds like you've had an eventful time in school. Hopefully you're able to find stability in your senior years! And hopefully you can find camaraderie on ATAR Notes, I'm sure you will :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

Mhysa

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2016, 07:04:39 pm »
+6
Not really new to ATARnotes :) Have been around for 3 years now. I used to be quite active. I would make amazing jokes and get an upvote on almost all my posts (idk why?), but then things changed. The moderators shut down my secondary account; account I used to upvote all the posts made from my primary account (lel). And then I deleted my primary account out of embarrassment for having recieved a message from the moderators telling me they've deleted my secondary account.
Anyway, since I now just use AN to ask questions on the spech and chem board, this will be my first non-academic post from this account (I think lel), so I should be eligible to answer the following questions:

1. What year level are you in right now, and what are your subjects?
I'm in year 12, doing Chem, Physics, Spech, Methods, and English. I did Bio last year.

2. What movie do you most passionately hate? Provide justification
Shutter Island. Oh god, I completely despise that movie because of that ending. I won't spoil it for anyone who hasn't watched it, but do yourself a favour and watch Interstellar instead - it's a stellar movie ;)

3. In the event of a zombie apocalypse, what would be your weapon of choice?
Donald Trump. The zobies would probably kill themselves after they see that they're sharing the world with a xenophobic, islamophobic, bigoted, racist, cutured piece of trash. But then I'll probably probably have to kill myself as well :/ I'll try to get into a relationship with the zombie queen and have her spare my fam.

In terms of my course next year, I'm not sure yet tbh. Since I fked up the UMAT, I'll hopefuly get into biomed at MelbUni or Monash biomed/law. But as a person, I just want to help people. Whether that's in the form of Medicine, Law or Politics, I'm not sure yet. Hopefuly I'll decide soon :)

5. If you had to summarise your life in a sentence, what would you say?
Single and the only one ready to mingle.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 07:15:07 pm by Mhysa »
Bachelor of Science at The University of Melbourne (2017-2019)
Elizabeth Blackburn School of Sciences (2015-2016)

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2016, 08:07:06 pm »
+1
Donald trump is a xenophobic islamophobic, bigoted, racist, cultured piece of trash.
Lol I had to interrupt the flow of things simply to say how much of a interestingly accurate piece of insightful feedback this is about good old trump :D

Please carry on :)

alxhrmnn

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #49 on: August 06, 2016, 12:31:08 am »
+5
New user (actually my first post), late addition to AN and new to the game; desperate for any advantage I can get. Year 12 student that really should be doing some practice exams right now haha.  ;D

1. What year level are you in right now and what are your subjects?
Well year 12 as early said durr... doing Chem, Physics, Spesh and Lit this year as well as UMEP Bio. Last year I did Methods and Bio.

2. What movie do you most passionately hate? Provide justification
There is such a big list to choose from tbh... (Michael Bay, M. Night Shyamalan, anything "macho" (eg. Fast and Furious) or cheap comedy (Owen Wilson I'm looking at you)... but all time worst actor (and as such any movie associated with them drops automatically to the bottom of any list) is probably Adam ducking Sandler. I just hate the man ok. Any movie he is in just turns to cheap comedy: too cheap to even afford my time "legally" downloading. His voice just irks me in a way not many things do. I legitimately think a form of torture would be 24 hours non stop of him talking.

3. In the event of a zombie apocalypse, what would be your weapon of choice?
I'm a realist in short and as such would probably just find whatever is most practical. Anything without ammunition is good because there is no worries of running out BUT that's not to say I wouldn't bring a gun just in case. I'd probably go all Katniss and find myself a bow and hide in a tree all day tbh...

This one question I've heard so many times I think I may have the answer rehearsed... I just wanna be someone happy and determined. I don't know what I want to be yet but I definitely have a few ideas of who I DON'T want to be. As for specifics I like to keep as many options open for as long as possible, possibly get into med (though thinking about how UMAT went...  :-\), possibly research, possibly engineering ( hey the world is your oyster  ::) )

5. If you had to summarise your life in a paragraph, what would you say?
Determined student from a school not so focussed on VCE (yay Northern Outer Suburbs): as such one may feel a little bit of an outsider. I want so badly to get a fantastic ATAR so I can prove to privileged students who pay through their noses for personal tutoring and expensive private schools that it is possible to achieve great scores without paying your way there. Determined to make a difference any way I can and a definite "silent achiever". Those who make the most noise generally have the least to say.

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
« Reply #50 on: August 06, 2016, 07:28:08 am »
New user (actually my first post), late addition to AN and new to the game; desperate for any advantage I can get. Year 12 student that really should be doing some practice exams right now haha.  ;D

5. If you had to summarise your life in a paragraph, what would you say?
Determined student from a school not so focussed on VCE (yay Northern Outer Suburbs): as such one may feel a little bit of an outsider. I want so badly to get a fantastic ATAR so I can prove to privileged students who pay through their noses for personal tutoring and expensive private schools that it is possible to achieve great scores without paying your way there. Determined to make a difference any way I can and a definite "silent achiever". Those who make the most noise generally have the least to say.

First of welcome to the forums alxhrmnn! I'm sure youll get a lot out of it!
Secondly, good that this is actually your first post lol not your 200th (oops!) I'm from NSW but i came on here desperate for an advantage the same as you.
Thirdly, can we not generalise about private schools? I only go to a private school because the public schools around me well.. (One of them is in the bottom 5 ATAR performing school in Aus). I only need tutoring because I need help with subject content. Am I going to get an ATAR above 90? No I'm not. You might make it out that people are paying through their noses but I make it out that some people are just better of to start with than others, so you should be grateful. Going to a catholic school and having a personal tutor doesn't instantly make you the best in every subject.

With all that said and generalisations behind us, I welcome you to the forums and thanks again for joining :)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #51 on: August 07, 2016, 11:50:53 am »
+3
First of welcome to the forums alxhrmnn! I'm sure youll get a lot out of it!
Secondly, good that this is actually your first post lol not your 200th (oops!) I'm from NSW but i came on here desperate for an advantage the same as you.
Thirdly, can we not generalise about private schools? I only go to a private school because the public schools around me well.. (One of them is in the bottom 5 ATAR performing school in Aus). I only need tutoring because I need help with subject content. Am I going to get an ATAR above 90? No I'm not. You might make it out that people are paying through their noses but I make it out that some people are just better of to start with than others, so you should be grateful. Going to a catholic school and having a personal tutor doesn't instantly make you the best in every subject.

With all that said and generalisations behind us, I welcome you to the forums and thanks again for joining :)

Off topic:
Spoiler
I think the point alxhrmnn was making is that you don't need those things, he/she wasn't generalising and it certainly wasn't any kind of deliberate statement against people in Private Schools or who receive tuition. It was a statement against the generalised stigma that those things are requirements for success for every student, which they are not.

Being privileged enough to receive tuition or attend a private school is of course awesome, but the stigma of necessity of those things is what needs changing in the NSW Education System Right now. I agree with you, it's all about hard work! ;D

Lollzza

• Forum Regular
  • It`s not a day without an existential crisis or tw
  • Respect: +19
« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2016, 10:38:34 pm »
+8
Um, hi! This is my first real post here in AN, so I thought here was the place to go?

1. What year level are you in right now, and what are your subjects? (Mandatory)
Year 10 actually ^^; Please no shaming
And I'll just list what I'm taking next year because that's far more interesting:
English Advanced, Mathematics, Both Extensions, Modern History, Biology and IPT  :)

2. What movie do you most passionately hate? Provide justification. (Mandatory)
I was going to be like "oh nah, I don't really hate any movie" but then I realised 'The Last Airbender' was a thing. God I thought I had blocked that awful memory out. If you haven't watched it, don't. Watch the series from which is came Avatar: Legend of Aang. To those who have, I'm sorry. It had bad acting, the storyline was messed with far too much, the characters were reduced to angst ridden flat boards of single dimensions and the occasional cute lightheartedness that was throughout the series was not there at all.

3. In the event of a zombie apocalypse, what would be your weapon of choice? (Mandatory).
Probably Phoenix Wright's "objection!" It's pretty dang powerful.

4. Who do you want to be as a person, what do you want to achieve? (Optional)
I want to help people: which sounds cliched of course. But I want to change the world as well; which is even worse. I'm not the sort of person who can help build houses (I'd somehow ruin them), or be able to run a marathon for charity once a week, but I hope I can at least change people's minds on important issue through my written word. I want to erase stigma from what should be normal groups and create a world where no one need fear anyone hurting them thanks to something they can't control. Also I wanna make a hell ton of cash with being an author but that don't sound no where near as profound, eh?

5. If you had to summarise your life in a paragraph, what would you say? (Optional).
Uhh, well my family life is not too crash hot. Parents have been throwing chairs since before I was born but it's normal so I've learnt not to care. Been to about 10 different schools, hopefully staying till the end of HSC for this one (fingers crossed). Family couch surfed for about a month at one stage cuz we were kicked out by the bank and my father ain't got a screw of common sense. But my siblings are pretty cool, sister is twelve years older and my bro is fourteen. Now have a niece and nephew, both my brothers and I've managed to land myself into a better, somewhat drug free private school and now have math tutoring weekly. So you see where my life has gone uphill ;) I sound depressing, but really I haven't been too reflective on it too often. Pretty into writing, sketching, drama, anime, video games. All the weeb stuff. And I've passed my N4 test for Japanese! Go me!

Hope I did this right!
HSC 2018: Who knows at this point

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Respect: +2593
« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2016, 11:00:32 pm »
Um, hi! This is my first real post here in AN, so I thought here was the place to go?

1. What year level are you in right now, and what are your subjects? (Mandatory)
And I'll just list what I'm taking next year because that's far more interesting:
English Advanced, Mathematics, Both Extensions, Modern History, Biology and IPT  :)

I was going to be like "oh nah, I don't really hate any movie" but then I realised 'The Last Airbender' was a thing. God I thought I had blocked that awful memory out. If you haven't watched it, don't. Watch the series from which is came Avatar: Legend of Aang. To those who have, I'm sorry. It had bad acting, the storyline was messed with far too much, the characters were reduced to angst ridden flat boards of single dimensions and the occasional cute lightheartedness that was throughout the series was not there at all.

3. In the event of a zombie apocalypse, what would be your weapon of choice? (Mandatory).

I want to help people: which sounds cliched of course. But I want to change the world as well; which is even worse. I'm not the sort of person who can help build houses (I'd somehow ruin them), or be able to run a marathon for charity once a week, but I hope I can at least change people's minds on important issue through my written word. I want to erase stigma from what should be normal groups and create a world where no one need fear anyone hurting them thanks to something they can't control. Also I wanna make a hell ton of cash with being an author but that don't sound no where near as profound, eh?

5. If you had to summarise your life in a paragraph, what would you say? (Optional).
Uhh, well my family life is not too crash hot. Parents have been throwing chairs since before I was born but it's normal so I've learnt not to care. Been to about 10 different schools, hopefully staying till the end of HSC for this one (fingers crossed). Family couch surfed for about a month at one stage cuz we were kicked out by the bank and my father ain't got a screw of common sense. But my siblings are pretty cool, sister is twelve years older and my bro is fourteen. Now have a niece and nephew, both my brothers and I've managed to land myself into a better, somewhat drug free private school and now have math tutoring weekly. So you see where my life has gone uphill ;) I sound depressing, but really I haven't been too reflective on it too often. Pretty into writing, sketching, drama, anime, video games. All the weeb stuff. And I've passed my N4 test for Japanese! Go me!

Hope I did this right!
So right! And no shame. The coolest people come in year 10 and stay forever ;). There is so much in this post I want to reply to but... Maybe another time. I'm off to bed!
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #54 on: August 15, 2016, 11:01:35 pm »

Hope I did this right!

You did it super right ;D thank you so much for sharing, so happy to have you on the forums  ;D

Glasses

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Disclaimer: I wear contact lenses now.
  • Respect: +186
« Reply #55 on: August 16, 2016, 01:50:50 am »
+3
So right! And no shame. The coolest people come in year 10 and stay forever ;).

Can confirm, you're only a cool ATARNotes user if you joined whilst in year 10.
Spoiler
Exhibit A = Glasses.
2015 - 2016 (VCE): Psychology, Religion & Society, Legal Studies, Business Management, Literature and English
2017 - Present: Bachelor of Laws (Honours)/Arts (Criminology & Psychology) @ Monash University

Aug 2016 - Sep 2018: VIC State Moderator

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #56 on: August 16, 2016, 01:26:41 pm »
Spoiler
Exhibit A = Glasses.

*hangs head in shame  :(

Lollzza

• Forum Regular
  • It`s not a day without an existential crisis or tw
  • Respect: +19
« Reply #57 on: August 16, 2016, 07:12:53 pm »
Thank you all for such a warm welcome! I love the idea of this website and the fact it's all free just astounds me.

Glad I'm joining the cool club in time though  ;D

I hope I can help contribute to the forums a little later on in my schooling, since any advice I may have now will seem a bit outdated, I guess XD
HSC 2018: Who knows at this point

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #58 on: August 16, 2016, 07:15:36 pm »
I hope I can help contribute to the forums a little later on in my schooling, since any advice I may have now will seem a bit outdated, I guess XD

You don't need to give advice to contribute to the forums! Ask questions, make comments, share musings - it's all great! :) Welcome aboard.

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
« Reply #59 on: August 16, 2016, 07:20:08 pm »
Spoiler
Exhibit A = Glasses.
Does it count that I'm one of the "younger" year 12 students? (I signed up like last year sometime :P )

Thank you all for such a warm welcome! I love the idea of this website and the fact it's all free just astounds me.

Glad I'm joining the cool club in time though  ;D

Yay! Welcome to the club (and all the fun)! I'm sure you'll contribute lots in the future! ;)
(Also you can always ask questions or join in on the AN 'fun' boards! :) )
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 07:23:30 pm by insanipi »
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!