Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 08:27:07 pm

Author Topic: HSC Modern History Question Thread  (Read 347831 times)  Share 

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
Re: Modern History Question Thread
« Reply #285 on: May 17, 2017, 08:39:46 pm »
I am trying to justify how Trotsky's role in the 1917 revolution resulted to his rise to prominence. But im not sure what to say.

Hi Rasika! Good question :)

Though I don't think it would be fair to say that the 1917 Revolution was the only important factor in Trotsky's rise to prominence (the 1905 Revolution and his writings in early exile were imo equally if not more important!) - however that doesn't change the fact that the 1917 Revolution was still a key, contributing event for a variety of reasons, as Trotsky played a really critical role both organisationally and practically during the 1917 Revolution.

1. Trotsky conviced Lenin to change the date of the Revolution to October 25th so that it coincided with the All-Russian Congress of Soviets (a decision that was instrumental as the Bolsheviks could claim power "in the name of the Soviets" and thus secure more support).

2. He was also a key motivator/speaker during the Revolution (Wood suggests he had "oratory skills that could set listeners ears on fire" - might not be the exact quote - but at least close!).

3. He was also instrumental in organising the actual takeover and exchange of power, as leader of the Red Guard in the "bloodless coup" of the Winter Palace. Though a 'coup' is a bad way to describe the takeover, "bloodless" is not - no one in the Winter Palace was killed, the physical exchange of power occurring relatively fast and painlessly, mainly thanks to Trotsky's effective organising. Even Stalin - Trotsky's bitter rival later on - admitted that the Bolsheviks were indebted to Trotsky after the 1917 Revolution.

Essentially, the 1917 Revolution helped to fully establish Trotsky as a highly prominent member of the Bolshevik Party - second only to Lenin. It garnered him significant respect from his peers and the community, which in turn afforded him significant power and opportunity. For example it was after the 1917 Revolution that not only did Trotsky's theory of Permanent Revolution become the official Bolshevik Party ideology, but he was also made Commissar of Foreign Affairs. Therefore, it is evident that the 1917 Revolution was highly critical to Trotsky's rise to prominence.

Hope this helps! Let me know if any of this was confusing/you have any more questions :)

Susie
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

sophiemacpherso

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #286 on: May 17, 2017, 09:56:19 pm »
Hey!! How do you guys recommend remembering stats and historian quotes..? I'm struggling to remember both for all areas of the syllabus..

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #287 on: May 17, 2017, 10:09:16 pm »
Hey!! How do you guys recommend remembering stats and historian quotes..? I'm struggling to remember both for all areas of the syllabus..
Heya! I highly recommend constructing a detail table :) You can find mine here if you want to have a look at how to structure one. I found these insanely helpful, because not only did it mean that I had an organised place with all of the stats/quotes I needed, which I could easily study from, but it also forced me to actively seek out detail and quotes outside of a textbook so that my responses stood out :) The day of exams, the only form of study that I'd do would be to grab my detail table and 'Look, Cover, Write, Check' to see how many stats/quotes I could remember :) This form of studying was really really really effective for me :)

I also recommend finding stats and quotes that are genuinely interesting/punchy! This is especially important when it comes to quotes - think short and sweet! I'm much more likely to remember “Idealism perished on the Somme” (AJP Taylor), than “The Somme offensive was a necessary if painful stage in the process of weakening a skillful, courageous and highly professional enemy” (Peter Simkins). Not only that, but shorter quotes are actually preferable, because they allow more room for your own analysis. Interesting/weird stats and detail are also possible too :) One of the most frequent stats that I dropped in my Stalin essays was that there was a 2500% increase in the production of tractors. A bit of detail that I used a lot when discussing the nature of the trenches was that hygiene was a problem, because the British Army put toilets in the line of enemy snipers to encourage the soldiers to 'do their business' faster, which just encouraged them to crap onto a shovel and then chuck it out to no-mans-land. Ew. See? These two bits of detail were much more likely to stick in my brain because they were different :)

Hope this helps!

Susie

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

Rasika

• Forum Regular
« Reply #288 on: May 17, 2017, 10:48:45 pm »
+1
Trotsky’s role in the 1917 Revolution was a significant factor that had contributed to his rise to prominence. This is because it allowed him to gain a powerful position within the Bolshevik party and it garnered him significant respect from his peers and community, which in turn afforded him significant power and opportunity. The 1917 Revolution marked the conclusion of the power struggle between the Bolsheviks and the Provisional Government after the forced abdication of Tsar Nicholas II on 15th March 1917, with the Bolsheviks succeeding after the Red Guard stormed the White Palace, headed by Trotsky. Trotsky played a pivotal role in the organisation and communication of orders during the 1917 revolution and held major influence over how the revolution was conducted. For example, he persuaded Lenin to delay the revolution until the Second Congress of All-Russia Soviets at the end of October, so that power could be seized in the name of the Soviet rather than the Bolshevik Party itself, thereby reducing the likelihood of proletariat opposition whom the Soviet represented. Trotsky’s pragmatic ability coupled with his talent as an orator gained him much popularity and respect within the Bolshevik party. This elevated his status to an equal balance to Lenin. This veneration Trotsky received during the 1917 revolution led to his appointment within critical party positions such as Commissar of Foreign Affairs in 1917and Commissar of War, Army and Naval Affairs in 1918. This was a significant because it allowed him to gain the support and trust of the army. Therefore, it is evident that the 1917 Revolution was highly critical to Trotsky’s rise to prominence as a political and revolutionary figure.

Can someone mark this..?

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #289 on: May 17, 2017, 11:09:34 pm »
Can someone mark this..?

Sure thing :) Your response + my comments can be found in the spoiler below! I'm assuming that the question was something along the lines of "Explain Trotsky's rise to prominence", and that this is for part A of the personality study, thus I will be marking it as such (if I'm wrong let me know!)

Spoiler
Trotsky’s role in the 1917 Revolution was a highly (though these buzzwords aren't essential in a part A response, they are in other sections of the paper, thus it is good to get into the habit of including them)significant factor that had contributed to his rise to prominence. Great opening sentence! Clear and direct :) This is because it allowed him to gain a powerful position within the Bolshevik party and it garnered him significant respect from his peers and community, which in turn afforded him significant power and opportunity. This read a little bit clunky and repetitive - consider rewording, but as a point A okay! Great explanation of you judgement.The 1917 Revolution marked the conclusion of the power struggle between the Bolsheviks and the Provisional Government after the forced abdication of Tsar Nicholas II on 15th March 1917 good detail, with the Bolsheviks succeeding after the Red Guard stormed the White Palace date?, headed find a better word than "headed" by Trotsky. Trotsky played a pivotal role nice, strong judgement! in the organisation and communication of orders during the 1917 revolution and held major influence over how the revolution was conducted. For example, he persuaded Lenin to delay the revolution until the Second Congress of All-Russia Soviets at the end of October give me the exact date - you should know it!, so that power could be seized in the name of the Soviets rather than the Bolshevik Party itself, thereby reducing the likelihood of proletariat opposition whom the Soviet represented Nice! I'd probably also add that it further increased the popularity and support of the Bolsheviks. It wasn't just done as a preventative measure :). Trotsky’s pragmatic ability coupled with his talent as an orator gained him much popularity and respect within the Bolshevik party. This elevated his status to an equal balance to Lenin. Most agree that he wasn't equal to Lenin, but rather "second only to Lenin". Lenin was still head of the Bolshevik Party, and demonstrated his overall authority (sometimes even overruling Trotsky's!) on multiple occasions. I'm sure some could argue that they had equal power, however in a part A response you do not have the time - thus I'd stick to just saying he was "second only to Lenin". That is still a very significant thing :) This veneration Trotsky received during the 1917 revolution led to his appointment within critical party positions such as Commissar of Foreign Affairs in 1917and Commissar of War, Army and Naval Affairs in 1918, allowing him to further consolidate and grow his influence within the party (linking sentences like this are great - they remind the marker that you are consistently answering the question.) . This was a significant because it while also allowing him to gain the support and trust of the army. The changes I made to the last sentence are only if you stick with my linking sentence :)Therefore, it is evident that the 1917 Revolution was highly critical to Trotsky’s rise to prominence as a political and revolutionary figure. Great concluding statement! Just like your introductory one it is clear and direct.

This is really well done Rasika! Only a few minor, easy to change points :) However overall if your other paragraphs were similar in quality to this, I'd expect quite a high mark (around the 8-9/10). Structurally your response is fantastic, just be a bit careful of some of your judgements (mainly re. trotsky and lenin being of equal status). Also though you do have a decent amount of detail, I still think it could do with some more, particularly if you want to crack that top top top mark :) Some more stats, dates, specific names, maybe even a quote? Etc. etc. :)

But yes, overall very well done! Hope this helps, let me know if any of the feedback concerns/confuses you in any way!

Susie
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 11:11:40 pm by sudodds »

bellerina

• Forum Regular
« Reply #290 on: May 18, 2017, 07:52:34 am »
+1
‘History is about winners’
How accurate is this statement in relation to the personality you have studied?
This is for my speech and we have to refer to ONE factor that would prove either he was a winner/loser
In relation to Trotsky:
   The roles he acquired and held and how he used them
   The 1917 Revolution
   The Civil War
   The consolidation of the Bolshevik power to 1924
   The power struggle with Stalin following the death of Lenin
   Expulsion from the Communist Party
   Achievements of political ideals/aims

Which one should i do? I want to say he was a winner
The end may justify the means as long as there is something that justifies the end.

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #291 on: May 18, 2017, 02:20:00 pm »
‘History is about winners’
How accurate is this statement in relation to the personality you have studied?
This is for my speech and we have to refer to ONE factor that would prove either he was a winner/loser
In relation to Trotsky:
   The roles he acquired and held and how he used them
   The 1917 Revolution
   The Civil War
   The consolidation of the Bolshevik power to 1924
   The power struggle with Stalin following the death of Lenin
   Expulsion from the Communist Party
   Achievements of political ideals/aims

Which one should i do? I want to say he was a winner

Heya! Well if you want to say he was a winner i'd suggest looking at either his role in the 1917 Revolution or the Civil War - those really were his shining moments imo. Though there is still debate overall I'd say it is much easier to assert his success. However, if you want to stretch yourself, and really demonstrate your proficiency at constructing a solid and sustained analysis, "the roles he acquired and held and how he used them" would also work nicely. A lot more debate over his significance and contribution there (cos you'll need to discuss his role as Commissar of Foreign Affairs that can be argued was a failure), which can really help you to flesh out your argument :)

Hope this helps!

Susie

Rasika

• Forum Regular
« Reply #292 on: May 19, 2017, 09:52:09 pm »
Can someone mark this. :)
Thanks.

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #293 on: May 19, 2017, 10:20:11 pm »
Can someone mark this. :)
Thanks.

Hey Rasika :) Sure can do - in the future though feel free to post responses to mark in this thread. It's specifically for essay marking :) 15 posts = 1 full essay marked (as this is only a part A, which I personally don't count as a full essay, I'm happy to look over this without the 15 posts). You can find my comments in the spoiler :)

Spoiler
Trotsky’s role in the 1917 Revolution was a highly significant factor that had contributed to his rise to prominence. FANTASTIC JUDGEMENT This is because it allowed him Trotsky to gain a powerful position within the Bolshevik party, and it garnered him garner (just reads a bit better, and as this is an oral task that is important) significant respect from his peers and community, which in turn afforded him significant power and opportunity. Great explanation.The 1917 Revolution marked the conclusion of the power struggle between the Bolsheviks and the Provisional Government after the forced abdication of Tsar Nicholas II on 15th March 1917, with the Bolsheviks succeeding after the Red Guard stormed the White Palace, led by Trotsky date?.Trotsky played a pivotal role in the organisation and communication of orders during the 1917 revolution, and held holding major influence over how the revolution was conducted. Great! For example, he persuaded Lenin to delay the revolution until the Second Congress of All-Russia Soviets Second All-Russian Congress of Soviets at the end of October, so that the power could be seized in the name of the Soviets rather than the Bolshevik Party itself, thereby reducing the likelihood of proletariat opposition whom the Soviet represented. It also further increased the popularity and support of the Bolsheviks. GreatTrotsky’s pragmatic ability coupled with his talent as an orator gained him "gained him" is a bit weirdly worded - 'garnered him' or 'afforded him' would be better much popularity and respect within the Bolshevik party. This elevated his status so that he was “second only to Lenin” find out who actually said this (quite a few historians have - take your pick ;)). This veneration Trotsky received during the 1917 Revolution led to his appointment within critical party positions, such as Commissar of Foreign Affairs in 1917 and Commissar of War, Army and Naval Affairs in 1918, allowing him to further consolidate and grow his influence within the party whilst also allowing him to gain the support and trust of the army. Therefore, it is evidence that the 1917 Revolution was highly critical to Trotsky’s rise to prominence as a political and revolutionary figure.

Awesome work Rasika! Fantastic :) I still feel like a little bit more detail would be nice, date here, stat there, and maybe a bit more scrutiny over word choices (as this is a speech, "flow" is super important). However overall you should be feeling very confident handing this in. Well done :)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 10:22:05 pm by sudodds »

Rasika

• Forum Regular
« Reply #294 on: May 19, 2017, 10:33:20 pm »
i have like 3 parts to my oral -- where should i send them haha?

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #295 on: May 19, 2017, 10:38:05 pm »
i have like 3 parts to my oral -- where should i send them haha?
As in like 3 paragraphs? Feel free to send them to the essay marking thread :) Depending on how long it is though you might need to reach 15 posts first (super easy, just ask/answer a few questions, contribute to some of the discussions etc. etc.  :) ). If its only a paragraph though don't worry :)

Rasika

• Forum Regular
« Reply #296 on: May 19, 2017, 10:41:23 pm »
Oh well it has to be very succint. We only have 4-6 min to speak. So the paragraphs wouldnt be really dense.

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #297 on: May 19, 2017, 10:43:46 pm »
Oh well it has to be very succint. We only have 4-6 min to speak. So the paragraphs wouldnt be really dense.
Ah k :) Why don't you post it now and I'll take a look - if its a bit too long I'll let you know (if not I'll have it done in an hour ;) ). As it is a Part A response I feel like it'll probs be fine :)

Rasika

• Forum Regular
« Reply #298 on: May 20, 2017, 01:23:51 am »
I think i might need to shorten it down because the ideal time is 2min. And this is a little bit longer. Im still doing the last one so ill send it to you by tomorrow!

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #299 on: May 20, 2017, 10:25:17 am »
I think i might need to shorten it down because the ideal time is 2min. And this is a little bit longer. Im still doing the last one so ill send it to you by tomorrow!

Hey Rasika!
All together, this paragraph, plus the one I already marked (and the one coming) will be long enough to be considered a full response, so I'm gonna have to enforce the 15 posts rule before I can mark anything else :( You're super close to 15 posts though (only 9 more to go!), so shouldn't be too much of an issue :) Here are a few threads that might interest you to get you started!

- New Users Introductions Thread
- English Advanced Question Thread or Standard Question Thread
- General Maths Question Thread or 2U, 3U, 4U Maths Question Threads
- History Extension Debating Thread (if you're a history extension student would love to see you give this ago! We also have a Question Thread too :) )

Once you've reached 15, post your full response (so everything you want marked) here and i'll get back to you ASAP :)

Susie