Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 09:30:09 am

Author Topic: Uni- getting into med  (Read 1106 times)

tj1512

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Uni- getting into med
« on: August 15, 2018, 03:44:44 pm »
hi, i dont know if theres a uni thread or anything so ill ask here

i really want to get in medicine but honestly, after umat and how im going in school, i dont think ill be able to get into med. that being said, i still would like to try by doing a different but related course in uni and then transfer. if i want to do this, what courses would allow me to get into med? preferably unsw (e.g. bachelor of medical science or something??)

id appreciate any information/ advice :)

Quantum44

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +313
Re: Uni- getting into med
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2018, 05:09:40 pm »
+1
I believe if you study medical science at UNSW, there is potential to transfer into their medical program after your degree, although this is highly competitive and again dependent on UMAT along with university marks. WSU and JMP also accept students with a tertiary record and this is dependent on GPA, UMAT and interview. There are also quite a few places in NSW with graduate-entry medicine such as USyd, Notre Dame and Wollongong.
UAdel MBBS

Annie657

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +8
Re: Uni- getting into med
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2018, 07:15:09 pm »
Do a course that will give you a career afterwards, in the chance that you don't get into med. Pretty much all medical schools around the country that accept you after starting uni will take you with any course- as long as your uni marks are high that is all that matters! By doing med sci you are literally graduating with a degree with very limited job opportunities as well as making life hard for yourself because of it's highly competitive nature- you will struggle to get the uni marks required to be competitive.

So my advice would be to go into a course with a job at the end of the tunnel, you are not disadvantaging yourself by doing nursing, pharmacy, paramed, teaching, law or literally whatever you like! Although there are a limited few medical schools around the country that require a few science subject prereqs like monash grad entry, the spaces in this category are super low (25 I think? And you have to go to monash to get in?) you are better off thinking towards your future; backing yourself up so you do not end up with a degree you may struggle to use.
2017 HSC: Adv English | Mathematics | Maths Ext 1 | Chemistry | Biology | Geography |

2018-2022: MBBS at Western Sydney University :)