Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 23, 2024, 08:53:44 pm

Author Topic: HSC Legal Studies Question Thread  (Read 571841 times)  Share 

nikitap29011

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Re: HSC Legal Studies Question Thread
« Reply #2010 on: August 07, 2018, 07:23:44 pm »
+1
Hey! Specific case and legislation references are going to be better for you, but going with broader types of evidence is still going to work! :)

Could be wrong, but also I feel like broad cases which cover many syllabus points are invaluable both in terms of memorising and use.
Like for crime, the Jill Meagher case; R v Bayley 2013 covers heaps from use of technology in police powers to law reform to sentencing.

emilyygeorgexx

• HSC LECTURER
  • ____________
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +113
« Reply #2011 on: August 07, 2018, 07:26:05 pm »
Ima hit you with a zesty B ;D

Common law (the courts, but like precedent, it's a better version of D) interprets statute law (which don't explicitly protect HR in Australia) in ways to protect human rights in specific scenarios! At least, that's how I think the question wants you to look at it - I'd be going B :) I like this question purely for the discussion point though! Bit subjective for an MC imo! :)

Going to still go with C on this one!

I think you can interpret it that yes although common law exists, any statute law or act of parliament can be passed at the government's will which in turn, may override common law.
HSC 2018 - (ATAR: 99.10)
English Advanced (90) | General Mathematics 2 (95) | Business Studies (98 - 6th in NSW) | Legal Studies (94) | Economics (93) | Studies of Religion 1 (48)

2019: B Commerce/B Laws @ UNSW

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #2012 on: August 07, 2018, 07:26:48 pm »
+1
Could be wrong, but also I feel like broad cases which cover many syllabus points are invaluable both in terms of memorising and use.
Like for crime, the Jill Meagher case; R v Bayley 2013 covers heaps from use of technology in police powers to law reform to sentencing.

Yeah absolutely!! Specific cases with broad applications are the way to go. What I mean to say is that just, say, using Coles and its practices as an example in an essay isn't as good as, say, a specific case that Coles was involved with. That specific case could be applied to lots of different questions/topics - If so, golden ;D

Going to still go with C on this one!

I think you can interpret it that yes although common law exists, any statute law or act of parliament can be passed at the government's will which in turn, may override common law.

Tis a good point! But how long would that take? Compared to a judge and jury just going, "Yeah nah you actually can't do that to someone ya idiot," on the spot ;D
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 07:28:21 pm by jamonwindeyer »

katgrace1

• Adventurer
« Reply #2013 on: August 07, 2018, 08:25:52 pm »
+2
Thanks very much.

amelia20181

• Trendsetter
« Reply #2014 on: August 11, 2018, 07:45:10 pm »
should you just memorise an essay for family and consumers and for the crime extended response

emilyygeorgexx

• HSC LECTURER
  • ____________
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +113
« Reply #2015 on: August 11, 2018, 07:57:42 pm »
+1
should you just memorise an essay for family and consumers and for the crime extended response

I'm going to agree and say for your options you can memorise a prepared essay to an extent, and then hopefully you will be able to adapt to the question.

However, for crime I think it is just way too unpredictable now to memorise an essay for it. Memorising essay plans for different questions is probably better and more viable in comparison to a fully prepared essay. Especially with the bail and remand question last year, no one really saw that coming.

Anyways, that's just how I see it imo :)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 07:59:22 pm by emilyygeorgexx »
HSC 2018 - (ATAR: 99.10)
English Advanced (90) | General Mathematics 2 (95) | Business Studies (98 - 6th in NSW) | Legal Studies (94) | Economics (93) | Studies of Religion 1 (48)

2019: B Commerce/B Laws @ UNSW

amelia20181

• Trendsetter
« Reply #2016 on: August 11, 2018, 09:19:47 pm »
how would you answer this question

outline the role of law reform in the abolition of slavery?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #2017 on: August 12, 2018, 09:51:47 am »
+1
how would you answer this question

outline the role of law reform in the abolition of slavery?

I'd be stepping through the key law changes that have occurred in relation to slavery! Now these dot points require a bit more history than most, so you could start with something like the Slavery Abolition Act 1833. But then make sure you reference more modern declarations as well, like the UDHR :)

amelia20181

• Trendsetter
« Reply #2018 on: August 13, 2018, 02:50:21 pm »
Would it be better to do the essays first and leave the multiple choice until last?

is trials really a good indication of what you will get in the actual hsc? 
if your rank is bad but you end up doing well in the hsc but people who were ranked higher than you performed poorly would it really affect your mark?

Around how many pages should you generally be writing for the 25 mark essays

« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 03:13:13 pm by amelia20181 »

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #2019 on: August 13, 2018, 04:41:20 pm »
+1
Would it be better to do the essays first and leave the multiple choice until last?

is trials really a good indication of what you will get in the actual hsc? 
if your rank is bad but you end up doing well in the hsc but people who were ranked higher than you performed poorly would it really affect your mark?

Around how many pages should you generally be writing for the 25 mark essays

Hi!

If that’s the method that’s going to work for you, do it because what works for some people doesn’t necessarily work for others. Personally, I liked to do MC first because I felt like it gave my brain a bit of a warm-up before hitting the essays.

As for your second question, as long as you do well in the HSC you’ll be fine. If your bad rank affects your internal mark, your good mark in the HSC should be able to balance it out. :-)

A 25 marker is usually ~6 pages, depending on handwriting size, so that’ll be roughly 1000 words.

Hope this helps!
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

amelia20181

• Trendsetter
« Reply #2020 on: August 17, 2018, 08:29:07 pm »
who has the burden of proof in the local court is it the dpp

would a case involving manslaughter be held in the district court

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #2021 on: August 17, 2018, 09:57:08 pm »
+1

Hi!

As the name suggests, the DPP does have the burden of proof. --> Director of Public Prosecutions. :-)

I don't think so - I just looked through my notes and "[the District Court's jurisdiction] extends to all indictable offences, apart from murder, attempted murder, treason, serious sexual assault and kidnapping." However I have a faint memory of my year 10 commerce teacher talking about a manslaughter trial in the District Court when he was on jury duty? Happy to hear from others about this!

Hope this helps :-)
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

martinarena_

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #2022 on: August 20, 2018, 10:06:08 pm »
+2

Hi!

As the name suggests, the DPP does have the burden of proof. --> Director of Public Prosecutions. :-)

I don't think so - I just looked through my notes and "[the District Court's jurisdiction] extends to all indictable offences, apart from murder, attempted murder, treason, serious sexual assault and kidnapping." However I have a faint memory of my year 10 commerce teacher talking about a manslaughter trial in the District Court when he was on jury duty? Happy to hear from others about this!

Hope this helps :-)

@fantasticbeasts3 hey there! yep, you're right - manslaughter is heard in the district court :)
@amelia20181 Here's a really good website that I found in which it explains the offence really well, as well as the court its heard in etc.
https://www.armstronglegal.com.au/criminal-law/offences/murder/manslaughter
Ooo, I'd also add that the first court that hears the case will be the Local Court in order to determine prima facie (that is, whether it should be prosecuted or not)  ;D
Hope all this is helpful  :)  :)  :)
2019: Bachelor of Veterinary Biology/Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (USYD)

HSC 2018
Legal Studies / Business Studies / Biology / Maths Ext 1 / Advanced English

HSC 2017 (Accelerated)
Mathematics

amelia20181

• Trendsetter
« Reply #2023 on: August 20, 2018, 10:13:24 pm »
+1
Thanks! That was really helpful

heidzzz

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #2024 on: September 07, 2018, 11:50:06 am »
Hey, i was just wondering how should i structure an answer to this question,

Outline the role of international legal and non-legal measures in maintaining world order and assess their effectiveness in relation to the nuclear threat

should my legal and non-legal responses only relate to the nuclear threat, the question has thrown me off a bit and i'm not sure how to answer it and specifically structure it

any help is appreciated so much