Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 30, 2024, 03:01:43 am

Author Topic: Working with a mentor?  (Read 3676 times)

aramxe

• Fresh Poster
  • We out here, dyingg.
  • Respect: 0
Working with a mentor?
« on: January 25, 2019, 12:29:28 am »
Hi,
Just wanted to know about how people were getting a mentor for their research project or if they were planning on not using one at all? Has anyone been told that it's necessary/super important to have one ?
It's probably already late to search for one. So just wanted to see my odds at doing well

Thanks!

supR

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +4
Re: Working with a mentor?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2019, 06:58:06 pm »
I definitely think that a mentor would aid you in tackling such a large project on your own. I wouldn't suggest that it would make you do worse necessarily, but a mentor would definitely aid you in structuring your project and completing the scientific method in a validating way based on your hypothesis.

I'm thinking to find a mentor, it would be best to try and ask actual scientists currently working in the field if they'd like to help. Places like ANSTO or a Univeristy would definitely be a good starting point, but also a science teacher could potentially aid you in completing the project, especially if they've had research experience.

Best of luck c:
HSC 2018 - 98.50 ATAR
Please check out my Youtube c: I upload every Tuesday and Friday c: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL1c_bBjSE6oNNYgt4CK0DA

r1ckworthy

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +305
Re: Working with a mentor?
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2019, 05:24:37 pm »
Hey there,

I am in the science extension course as well. My mentor is my teacher, who has been instrumental in guiding me through my research project. I also have another (sort of) mentor from Macquarie University as well. I would say that it is not detrimental if you don't have a mentor, but just super USEFUL.

In saying that, there are plenty of resources online about how to tackle a science project from start to finish. You shouldn't rely on your mentors for everything. I think I have relied too much on my teacher, so I don't really know the ins and outs of my project. I am trying to change that with more research, but it should not be a problem for you.

It is best, however, to have someone who knows about your project and the respective field of science in depth.You should try (with permission from teachers) to contact people from universities. Just send them an email detailing what your project is and your doubts etc. My teacher and I contacted one person at Macquarie University for CO2 monitors, and he referred us to someone else, who came by to see my experimental setup. He gave some really useful tips for improvement and gave us advice on how to take it to the next step. I don't think it is too late, so if you already have a developed methodology for your project, you should try to find someone who can critique and eliminate potential errors from it. You don't have to do this, but it is nice.

Your teacher should also be looking over your project and give you some solid advice as well.

Hope this post helps!!!
HSC 2019: English Advanced || Mathematics || Mathematics Extension 1 || Physics || Chemistry || Science Extension || Ancient History ||

Bachelor of Physiotherapy @ ACU

The Yr12 journey- a diary I "hope" to update... || Halfway through Year 12... lessons I've learned so far. || Check out my youtube channel!