Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 18, 2024, 11:34:22 am

Author Topic: How to mark science papers  (Read 5114 times)  Share 

pikachu975

• Forum Obsessive
  • Stars and Bars
  • Respect: +45
How to mark science papers
« on: July 18, 2017, 02:01:20 am »
How would you mark your own phys chem bio papers that you do? I tried just adding to my answers with the marking criteria or sample answers but they're usually insufficient. Also I don't know what mark to give myself because idk how strict they are and also I'd be biased to myself, so how do you guys go about this?

Offering tutoring for Biology, Maths, Maths Ext 1, and Maths Ext 2.
Send me a message if interested!

2016 HSC (Accelerated):
// 2U Maths (97) // SOR 1 (48) //

2017 HSC:
// English Adv // Bio // Phys // 3U Maths // 4U Maths //

Goal: 99.9

Natasha.97

• NSW MVP - 2017
  • Forum Leader
  • ~
  • Respect: +667
Re: How to mark science papers
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 07:00:17 am »
+3
Hi :) I usually mark myself really harshly, and re-write the answer again to try and hit the criteria (but yes, it can be really vague sometimes :P)
Life is weird and crazy as heck but what can you do?

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 07:13:48 am »
+3
Try cooperating with a friend and marking each other's past papers. You'll automatically develop a sense of direction from there.

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 02:11:57 pm »
+3
How would you mark your own phys chem bio papers that you do? I tried just adding to my answers with the marking criteria or sample answers but they're usually insufficient. Also I don't know what mark to give myself because idk how strict they are and also I'd be biased to myself, so how do you guys go about this?

Sometimes it's actually not too bad to be biased to yourself. A little bit of a confidence boost can be good from time to time :)
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 01:12:06 am »
+2
Hey! I struggled a lot with this when I was in the HSC - Very hard to mark with criteria alone, and sample answers are usually way too long to actually be practical in an exam scenario. In terms of assigning marks, I'd try and assign one mark for every key point that I'd managed to hit (assuming longer response), or to each stage of the working in a calculation. As vox mentioned, being critical might be a good thing!! Assuming they are super strict will only improve your responses over time ;D

The HSC Topic Tests we sell have better, more realistic sample answers which might make it easier to judge the quality of your response? Definitely a biased recommendation being involved in authoring a few of them, but I definitely don't gain anything if you purchase - Purely linking because it could be useful to you ;D