Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 16, 2024, 05:30:32 pm

Author Topic: English Advanced Question Thread  (Read 1235827 times)

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
Re: English Advanced Question Thread
« Reply #3555 on: March 22, 2018, 08:49:06 pm »
+2
Hey guys,
What is the ideal word count limit for Module A essays? I've finished a generic response (based on 1984 x Metropolis) that has been assured a solid A range mark by my teacher, provided I am able to adapt it properly and the like. However, it is literally 1420 words long, and that's EXCLUDING a conclusion. I have 4 body paragraphs, btw. I'm conflicted because my teacher says that her best students in the past have been able to write 1400 words in 40 minutes for Module A, which she says specifically needs an exponentially longer response to achieve an A range mark - in comparison to Mod B, Mod C etc, but that literally seems impossible. Meanwhile, the consensus on various HSC forums seem to be around 1200 words MAX. However, my teacher has taught 3 students in the past that state ranked for Advanced - one of which ranked 1st in the state for Standard, and last year 60% of her class got a Band 6 for Advanced, so I value her thoughts a lot. By no means am I a slow writer - I can comfortably pump out 1100 in the exam, but that would mean I have to cut out 300 words - basically an entire body paragraph - for that to even be feasible. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.
Hey there,
1420 words is definitely way too long. Are you following an integrated essay or are you analysing your texts separately? Personally, I don't think over 1000 is wise, unless you're comfortable with it (which you are). Your essays are all about quality, not quantity. Sure, you can add more depth in a longer essay but you won't have time because you'll have two other essays to write in Paper 2.

My teacher has suggested 800-1000 words. One of the skills in essays, I think, is to be able to narrow down your information to be fit in an 800-1000 word essay. Your teacher may teach you an extensive amount of information but when we write the essays, being able to select what ideas can fit each type of question is where we show our knowledge and understanding. I wrote around 1000 words in my prelim essays and still achieved an A.

I'd suggest to try and limit your paragraphs to around 400 words (for an integrated, 3-paragraph body). Since you're doing 4, I'd suggest at least 350 words per paragraph. One thing I remember from Emily's English lectures was to try and cut out two words per sentence to help you cut down on your word count, so maybe have a go at that?

Hope this helps!
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #3556 on: March 22, 2018, 11:30:09 pm »
+3
Meanwhile, the consensus on various HSC forums seem to be around 1200 words MAX.

Wait, there are forums besides AN? ;)

Ahahaha, in seriousness, to throw in my two cents on top of the awesome answer from owidjaja. Any student who can write 1400 words in 40 minutes without rote learning an essay, needs to be an extremely effective English student. It's not that writing that much makes them effective, it's that they write that much because they are effective - It's important to get that causality right.

With that in mind, we recognise that it's not that the longer essays that do better. The better writers and better arguers do better, and it also so happens that they also tend to write more. Should YOU write more? Definitely not - The ideal number of words in an essay is however many you need to argue your point effectively. That's different for everyone - I've seen 20/20's well under 1000, I've equally seen 20/20's hovering at the 1500 word mark. But it's about efficiency - The aim is to write about exactly as much as you need to get your ideal score, then move on!

Lots of factors here - But anyway, all about the advice above, if you can't write it in the time limit, then it needs to be shortened! If you can, then you're gold. Simple as that - But remember you want time to adapt it to questions on the fly :)

emilyygeorgexx

• HSC LECTURER
  • ____________
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +113
« Reply #3557 on: March 23, 2018, 05:51:31 pm »
Hey!

I was just wondering if anyone could help me out. I am currently trying to write a Speech for Mod C using the Art of Travel as my PT. I may want to do Caspar David Friedrich's "Wanderer Above The Sea of Fog" for my RT.

Does any one have any notes or analysis that may help me out, since visual texts are sometimes difficult to analyse.

Thanks!
HSC 2018 - (ATAR: 99.10)
English Advanced (90) | General Mathematics 2 (95) | Business Studies (98 - 6th in NSW) | Legal Studies (94) | Economics (93) | Studies of Religion 1 (48)

2019: B Commerce/B Laws @ UNSW

itssona

• MOTM: APR 17
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #3558 on: March 23, 2018, 06:34:28 pm »
hey just wondering what you guys would say is a way to link history with Metropolis? thanks :)
HSC 2018 : Maths 3U, Maths 4U, English Advanced, Biology, Physics, Chemistry

Mada438

• Forum Leader
  • Skiing, motorcycle and travel fanatic
  • Respect: +399
« Reply #3559 on: March 23, 2018, 07:09:17 pm »
+2
hey just wondering what you guys would say is a way to link history with Metropolis? thanks :)
Are you talking about in relation to Langs context?
What sort of historical context statements you use depends on the point you're trying to argue
For example, if you were looking at the dehumanization of workers you could talk about Lang witnessing the german governments stripping of the soliders personal identities (they would develop a collective identity) or the way the weimar republic mistreated its workers in its factories
Other examples could be Langs fear of the negative effects of the rise of machines and industrialization and the way more women were geting more jobs etc which contrasted to his traditionalist conseervative views regarding the roles of women.

So what points are you trying to argue? Because only certain parts of langs context will be applicable for certain points
"Live life like a pineapple. Stand tall, wear a crown and be sweet on the inside"

"May you grow up to be righteous; may you grow up to be true. May you always know the truth and see the lights surrounding you. May you always be courageous, stand upright and be strong"

"Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire"

Advice for starting year 12
An open letter to my School Friends
Would 10 year old you be proud of who you are?

2020: Bachelor of Arts @ANU

itssona

• MOTM: APR 17
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #3560 on: March 23, 2018, 07:16:53 pm »
Are you talking about in relation to Langs context?
What sort of historical context statements you use depends on the point you're trying to argue
For example, if you were looking at the dehumanization of workers you could talk about Lang witnessing the german governments stripping of the soliders personal identities (they would develop a collective identity) or the way the weimar republic mistreated its workers in its factories
Other examples could be Langs fear of the negative effects of the rise of machines and industrialization and the way more women were geting more jobs etc which contrasted to his traditionalist conseervative views regarding the roles of women.

So what points are you trying to argue? Because only certain parts of langs context will be applicable for certain points
well I wanted to think of ideas if I were given a question like "How do oppressive regimes utilise history to manipulate..." and for 1984, its straightforward since history is manipulated and destroyed, but for Metropolis its hard. Unless I talked about how history in Metropolis is condemned through dehumanisation as you said? How else could I portray history and its destruction in metropolis?

thanks for helping :) much appreciatedd
HSC 2018 : Maths 3U, Maths 4U, English Advanced, Biology, Physics, Chemistry

Mada438

• Forum Leader
  • Skiing, motorcycle and travel fanatic
  • Respect: +399
« Reply #3561 on: March 23, 2018, 07:38:39 pm »
well I wanted to think of ideas if I were given a question like "How do oppressive regimes utilise history to manipulate..." and for 1984, its straightforward since history is manipulated and destroyed, but for Metropolis its hard. Unless I talked about how history in Metropolis is condemned through dehumanisation as you said? How else could I portray history and its destruction in metropolis?

thanks for helping :) much appreciated
Wow, that's quite a difficult one...
But i really wouldn't think it would be a question since there is no viable way to talk about history to manipulate as a question. Perhaps you could use it as part of a concept but i highly doubt that would be a question as there are no conceivable ways to link it to metropolis.
You could talk about the tower of babble story and how lang uses history of that story to portray key themes in the metropolis (allusion) but that's really awkward and doesn't make much sense in that context
You see what i mean?
So i really doubt that would be something you'd explore at all in metropolis
I'm not really sure how it applies to that SPECIFIC question sorry :-\
But if you need any other help (with any sort of other question haha) let me know!  :)
"Live life like a pineapple. Stand tall, wear a crown and be sweet on the inside"

"May you grow up to be righteous; may you grow up to be true. May you always know the truth and see the lights surrounding you. May you always be courageous, stand upright and be strong"

"Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire"

Advice for starting year 12
An open letter to my School Friends
Would 10 year old you be proud of who you are?

2020: Bachelor of Arts @ANU

Lumenoria

• MOTM: JUN 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +85
« Reply #3562 on: March 23, 2018, 11:47:02 pm »
Hey there,
1420 words is definitely way too long. Are you following an integrated essay or are you analysing your texts separately? Personally, I don't think over 1000 is wise, unless you're comfortable with it (which you are). Your essays are all about quality, not quantity. Sure, you can add more depth in a longer essay but you won't have time because you'll have two other essays to write in Paper 2.

My teacher has suggested 800-1000 words. One of the skills in essays, I think, is to be able to narrow down your information to be fit in an 800-1000 word essay. Your teacher may teach you an extensive amount of information but when we write the essays, being able to select what ideas can fit each type of question is where we show our knowledge and understanding. I wrote around 1000 words in my prelim essays and still achieved an A.

I'd suggest to try and limit your paragraphs to around 400 words (for an integrated, 3-paragraph body). Since you're doing 4, I'd suggest at least 350 words per paragraph. One thing I remember from Emily's English lectures was to try and cut out two words per sentence to help you cut down on your word count, so maybe have a go at that?

Hope this helps!

Yeah, that's what I thought haha! When my teacher told me that, I was like bitch wtf??? Ugh I just hate the process of cutting down the word count because I feel like every damn thing of the essay is imperative!! AHH. Also, I'm working with an integrated approach. The idea of having an essay less than 1000 words is so amazing to me, and I always strive for it, but I feel like it's simply inadequate for me to fully perpetuate my arguments - no matter how hard I try. What's worse is, my Mod A internal assessment is actually a speech, so I have to condense it by more than half to stay within the time limit. Ugh. Time for word hunting I suppose HAHAHAHA! Thankyou so much though :)
HSC 2018 (ATAR 96.35) - English Advanced (96) | Mathematics General (87) | Legal Studies (94) | Economics (89) | Industrial Technology (94)

cnimm2000

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3563 on: March 24, 2018, 01:13:41 pm »
hey guys,
i remember reading in 1984 parts of the novel, suggesting how oceania  was before big brother, and it was described as 'misery'.
when i went back to the book i couldn't exactly remember where they talked about that.
it would be great if i could some help on how the past was before big brothers control

emily_p

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #3564 on: March 26, 2018, 01:26:21 am »
+1
Hello! Wondering if anyone can help me with a Tempest question? My school has set a speech for discovery, the question is below:

A study of discovery reveals how both the process and impacts of discovery can vary according to the context and values of different texts.
To what extent is this statement reflected in The Tempest and ONE text of your own choosing

I sort of know what I'm doing for my related text but I'm not really sure about The Tempest. I feel like I could relate Prospero's value of the outcome of the Ferdinand/Miranda marriage to social values (power) but I have no idea how to relate context to process. Would love any suggestions!
HSC 2018 || English Adv | English Ext 1 | Maths | Maths Ext 1 | Economics | Chemistry | Legal Studies

ATAR: 94.55

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #3565 on: March 26, 2018, 08:09:02 am »
+4
Hello! Wondering if anyone can help me with a Tempest question? My school has set a speech for discovery, the question is below:

A study of discovery reveals how both the process and impacts of discovery can vary according to the context and values of different texts.
To what extent is this statement reflected in The Tempest and ONE text of your own choosing

I sort of know what I'm doing for my related text but I'm not really sure about The Tempest. I feel like I could relate Prospero's value of the outcome of the Ferdinand/Miranda marriage to social values (power) but I have no idea how to relate context to process. Would love any suggestions!
Hey there,
I'm doing The Tempest too! You can talk about the patriarchal nature of society during the Elizabethan era and relate it to how Prospero manipulates the situation between Miranda and Ferdinand and the amount of power he has over the two (you can also include the parts when Prospero warns Ferdinand when he finally accepts Ferdinand).

Hope this helps!
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

emily_p

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #3566 on: March 26, 2018, 11:49:06 pm »
Hey there,
I'm doing The Tempest too! You can talk about the patriarchal nature of society during the Elizabethan era and relate it to how Prospero manipulates the situation between Miranda and Ferdinand and the amount of power he has over the two (you can also include the parts when Prospero warns Ferdinand when he finally accepts Ferdinand).

Hope this helps!

I'll try that, thanks for the advice!! On a side note, regarding colonialism in The Tempest - would it be too presumptuous to say Shakespeare challenges perceptions of non-Europeans through allowing audiences to empathise with Caliban? (illustrating his appreciation for the island, displacement as a result of settlement etc) I'm not sure if I could use the word "challenge" since Shakespeare doesn't exactly seem like an extremely nonconformist writer?
HSC 2018 || English Adv | English Ext 1 | Maths | Maths Ext 1 | Economics | Chemistry | Legal Studies

ATAR: 94.55

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #3567 on: March 27, 2018, 08:19:03 am »
+2
I'll try that, thanks for the advice!! On a side note, regarding colonialism in The Tempest - would it be too presumptuous to say Shakespeare challenges perceptions of non-Europeans through allowing audiences to empathise with Caliban? (illustrating his appreciation for the island, displacement as a result of settlement etc) I'm not sure if I could use the word "challenge" since Shakespeare doesn't exactly seem like an extremely nonconformist writer?
Hey there,
Yeah, you could say Shakespeare challenges colonialist ideologies. Apart from presenting Caliban in a different way (e.g. speaking in verse, love for the island) you could also talk about the way Prospero, Stephano and Trinculo treats Caliban.

Hope this helps!

SophiePalmer26

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3568 on: March 28, 2018, 05:57:32 pm »
Hey Everyone!
Hope everyone is having a wonderful day and is ready for the Easter break  :)
I have a question for my speech on the Tempest but I'm not entirely sure what its asking for and what ideas I could use for it:
By exploring the concept of discovery, students can understand how texts have the potential to affirm or challenge individuals’ more widely-held assumptions and beliefs about aspects of human experience and the world.

If anyone could help out with the question that would be lovely thanks!  :)
HSC 2018: English Advanced | Mathematics | Biology | Design and Technology | Geography | PDHPE

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +312
« Reply #3569 on: March 28, 2018, 06:50:37 pm »
+1
Hey Everyone!
Hope everyone is having a wonderful day and is ready for the Easter break  :)
I have a question for my speech on the Tempest but I'm not entirely sure what its asking for and what ideas I could use for it:
By exploring the concept of discovery, students can understand how texts have the potential to affirm or challenge individuals’ more widely-held assumptions and beliefs about aspects of human experience and the world.

If anyone could help out with the question that would be lovely thanks!  :)

Hey - so this is asking you to explore how in the Tempest, the characters change their perspectives on certain ideas and issues based on the discoveries made. For instance, in the Tempest, from my knowledge of the text, Prospero's discovery of the importance of forgiveness alters and challenges his previous belief in revenge as the only way to solve issues. Those are the sort of examples you are looking for :)
HSC 2017 (ATAR 98.95) - English Advanced (94), English Extension 1 (48), Modern History (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48), Visual Arts (95), French Continuers (92)

Download our free discovery trial paper!