Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 02:59:16 am

Author Topic: JMSS/MACROB Senior Entry for Year 11??  (Read 14243 times)  Share 

otaku48

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: you can guess ;P
JMSS/MACROB Senior Entry for Year 11??
« on: March 28, 2013, 11:44:46 pm »
Ok. So this is the story.

In year eight, I tried out for macrob and did extremely bad (no superiors, one high average?, rest was average I think? - can't remember). Didn't even have a chance with an interview with the principal. To tell you the truth, I never really studied the test - which I really regret today.

In year nine, I was pretty much over "not getting in" macrob and was pumped up (not exactly) for the jmss exam. I did attend tutoring which helped with the entrance exam. So after passing their standards*, I did get an interview, but since it was my first interview ever, I stuffed up pretty badly. Even to this day I don't really want to talk about that experience, cause it was extremely embarrassing.

*JMSS entrance exam results: 2 above average, 2 high average and one average.

So now I want to try out for both - JMSS and macrob - senior entry for year 11. Has anyone tried out that late before and got in? A lot of people try to get in Macrob/Melbourne High for Year 10 entry, but I missed that...

What might or will be on the tests? Is the macrob exam similar to the year 8 year 9 test but harder?? What about JMSS??

I've read all of the other posts about JMSS, MHS and Macrob, but there hasn't been a post for Year 11 entry, so I decided to make one ;)

Any advice/help will be appreciated xD

THANK YOU SO MUCH

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Doctor.
  • Respect: +2376
Re: JMSS/MACROB Senior Entry for Year 11??
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 11:58:05 pm »
I'm not sure what the tests are like, but I have a friend in med with me who got into Mac.Rob for the yr11 intake. To my knowledge she was enrolled in Methods 3/4 for the next year (having complete 1/2) which tilted things her way (not sure on her exact selection process).

It's possible!

ShortBlackChick

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +212
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 01:11:42 am »
I tried out for Macrob for Year 11, I actually forgot that I had, but I actually did pretty ok in the test, I got 3 in the highest thingy, 2 in the next highest (superior?) and one high average. Apparently to get an interview you need to get all your scores in those top two indicators, but seeing as there are less people sitting the test its easier to get the highest levels. Also I really wasnt keen on the idea and I didnt send my school reports coz I ceebs, so sending that may be a good idea
2010: History Revolutions 35
2011: English 3/4, Accounting 3/4, Economics 3/4, Mathematical Methods 3/4, International Studies 3/4.

This C**t, under the name of anonymous, started giving me shit and I called him a C**t and now look. I'm f****n banned.

spectroscopy

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +373
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 09:43:26 am »
If you do well you can, at this stage they're looking more for people to participate in extra curricula activities and good school and sport representatives and stuff, the schools hopeful 50s and 99.95s would have been identified in earlier years. At my school we've had about 7/200 get year eleven entry, it might be higher than other select entries because a few of our students
moved away last year , good luck

Shenz0r

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +410
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 03:23:04 pm »
+1
If you do well you can, at this stage they're looking more for people to participate in extra curricula activities and good school and sport representatives and stuff, the schools hopeful 50s and 99.95s would have been identified in earlier years.

First half is true, second half doesn't sound that true. There is no way you can identify potential 99.95s based on the entrance exam...some people with 6 superiors can still end up getting 95-98. I only got 1 superior myself ahaha

My sister got selected for the Year 11 intake as well, after trying out for Year 9 and 10. I know that getting in at Year 11 at Mac.Rob is easier than in Year 10, because in Year 11 they have a whole new form of new students (11J), whereas in Year 10 you only get selected if there's a vacancy from a student leaving or something.

As for getting in, it'll probably help if you do some co-curricula activities once you've gotten to the interview stage. My sister did debating.
2012 ATAR: 99.20
2013-2015: Bachelor of Biomedicine (Microbiology/Immunology: Infections and Immunity) at The University of Melbourne
2016-2019: Doctor of Medicine (MD4) at The University of Melbourne

spectroscopy

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +373
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2013, 03:37:53 pm »
+1
its definetly not all by entrance exam, but this year for example, people who have applied for leadership positions have been turned down on the basis that they 100% everything and the school doesnt want their grades to lower with a higher workload

but back on topic, do extra curricula activities like debating or pick a sport or two that you are good at, or even a musical instrument, anything that will set you apart from all the other applicants
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 03:39:59 pm by aalexx »

IndefatigableLover

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • What kind of shoes do ninjas wear? Sneakers.
  • Respect: +105
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2013, 04:17:56 pm »
+1
I've had friends try out for Year 10 -> Year 11 for JMSS but didn't get in as such. I remember them telling me there was stuff about basic Physics, Chem and Biology for the Science part. Maths was similar to last year's JMSS test but adjusted for Year 10 -> Year 11 difficulty. And again like Mac.Rob, they'll probably be looking for people doing extra co-curricular activities as well.
I'll message my friend to see if they remember anything else on the test though!

On another note... have you heard of EBSS? It's another school that's selective which I think you might like to have a look at (if you haven't already): EBSS

Butterscotch

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2013, 04:35:23 pm »
I have a friend who got into year 11 at MacRobs, but she moved from Nossal. She got 4 Superiors and 2 Above Average.

Quote from her: "Take your report/s from year 9 Semester 2 and year 10 Semester 1 and achievements, they look at that. Also add in all the activities you engage yourself in; leadership and community work could be one. They look for people who are out-going and active. Good luck!"

I guess if you have collaborative skills and do extracurricular activities the interview won't be too much of a hassle. 

Good luck though! :)

otaku48

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • School: you can guess ;P
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2013, 02:50:07 pm »
THANK YOU SO MUCH!! I appreciate it  :) :) :)

One question, it seems that getting into macrob is harder than getting into jmss for year 11 entry? Or is it because macrob have a whole new class for year 11s??

Anyway thank you guys so much!!

BTW, I am doing biology units 1&2, but not methods.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 02:54:49 pm by otaku48 »

IndefatigableLover

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • What kind of shoes do ninjas wear? Sneakers.
  • Respect: +105
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2013, 12:00:45 pm »
THANK YOU SO MUCH!! I appreciate it  :) :) :)

One question, it seems that getting into macrob is harder than getting into jmss for year 11 entry? Or is it because macrob have a whole new class for year 11s??
I know that JMSS accepts roughly another 20 students and possibly more if some leave so it seems to be roughly the same amount of students they accept for Mac.Rob and JMSS but it also depends on how many people try out for both schools as well.
Although I would say 'harder' for JMSS simply because there'll be more applicants thus reducing the likelihood of getting in compared to Mac.Rob.

mino

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2021, 06:42:04 pm »
hi, would you know macrob's standard of the maths component?