Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 08:03:32 am

Author Topic: Re: 2020 Monash New Student Thread  (Read 1012 times)  Share 

alexandra.vo

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Re: 2020 Monash New Student Thread
« on: January 16, 2021, 09:05:12 pm »
Hey I'm super confused about picking units for the first time and reading the course map. I've spoken to someone at Monash but he wasn't very helpful with explaining it all :( I have picked some units for level 1 of bachelor of science I was wondering if someone can review these and if they fulfil the requirements of the course map for the first semester or year?

I do want to get into Medicine afterwards so I'm trying to complete subjects that would help me enter into medicine, if you do have any better suggestions of subjects to take for medicine plz let me know :)
Major Chosen
-Physiology
Level One Sequence
-Bio1011/ Bio1022
-CHM1011/CH1022
Level One Maths
-STA1010
Additional Unit (I saw somewhere you need to make up 36 credit points "You must complete any additional level 1 units (usually one or two) required taking the total level 1 science listed units to 36 credit points"[)/b]
-ANT1800

Thanks!!

Mod edit (AW): Split topic because post was too old. Please do not necropost. If you need to ask a question, make a new thread.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 10:05:03 pm by AngelWings »

ThunderDragon

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +110
Re: Re: 2020 Monash New Student Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2021, 09:18:22 pm »
Hey I'm super confused about picking units for the first time and reading the course map. I've spoken to someone at Monash but he wasn't very helpful with explaining it all :( I have picked some units for level 1 of bachelor of science I was wondering if someone can review these and if they fulfil the requirements of the course map for the first semester or year?

I do want to get into Medicine afterwards so I'm trying to complete subjects that would help me enter into medicine, if you do have any better suggestions of subjects to take for medicine plz let me know :)
Major Chosen
-Physiology
Level One Sequence
-Bio1011/ Bio1022
-CHM1011/CH1022
Level One Maths
-STA1010
Additional Unit (I saw somewhere you need to make up 36 credit points "You must complete any additional level 1 units (usually one or two) required taking the total level 1 science listed units to 36 credit points"[)/b]
-ANT1800

Thanks!!
Hey i'm not 100% sure but I think ANT1800 is only offered at Monash Malaysia.
2019 - Geography [41]
2020 - English, Methods, Chem, Bio and Psych [39]
2021 - 2023 Bachelor of Science at Monash

ThunderDragon's Journey to Med

Currently offering tutoring in 3/4 Psychology for 2022. PM if interested!

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2021, 10:07:28 pm »
+3
Hey i'm not 100% sure but I think ANT1800 is only offered at Monash Malaysia.
It is. And it's only offered in second semester. (Notice how there's only S1, no S2 entry, and how it only mentions Malaysia.) Look under the Offerings section of the Handbook entry for ANT1800.

In terms of it, you've covered some of the main things already (2 x sequences + math/ stats unit + your sequences already cover your intended major first year unit prereqs). I'd use the BSci course map to kind of figure out how to plan which units you'll do and when roughly. For first semester for now, you have one last spot which can be an elective or something done to fulfil a minor e.g. if you can get permission from Faculty of Science and/ or Biomed (usually their student services), you might be able to take a biomed unit as an elective, otherwise you can do anything that your BSci allows and you fancy e.g. learn a new foreign language, take an IT unit, do a bludge unit to push up your WAM/ GPA for transfer purposes, etc.. (And IIRC, you'll need to fill in your entire first year units to complete your enrolment, but you can still change your second semester units up until the second semester census date. They won't charge you for it until then.)

« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 10:32:23 pm by AngelWings »
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

ThunderDragon

• Trendsetter
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2021, 10:55:38 am »
It is. And it's only offered in second semester. (Notice how there's only S1, no S2 entry, and how it only mentions Malaysia.) Look under the Offerings section of the Handbook entry for ANT1800.

In terms of it, you've covered some of the main things already (2 x sequences + math/ stats unit + your sequences already cover your intended major first year unit prereqs). I'd use the BSci course map to kind of figure out how to plan which units you'll do and when roughly. For first semester for now, you have one last spot which can be an elective or something done to fulfil a minor e.g. if you can get permission from Faculty of Science and/ or Biomed (usually their student services), you might be able to take a biomed unit as an elective, otherwise you can do anything that your BSci allows and you fancy e.g. learn a new foreign language, take an IT unit, do a bludge unit to push up your WAM/ GPA for transfer purposes, etc.. (And IIRC, you'll need to fill in your entire first year units to complete your enrolment, but you can still change your second semester units up until the second semester census date. They won't charge you for it until then.)
Wait is it ever possible to get permission from the student services of Science or Biomed to complete 1 or 2 Biomed subjects in Science? I really want to complete Human Neurobiology in Semester 2 of First Year however I'm doing a Bachelor of Science.
2019 - Geography [41]

lm21074

• MOTM: JAN 19
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +594
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2021, 11:49:45 am »
+2
Wait is it ever possible to get permission from the student services of Science or Biomed to complete 1 or 2 Biomed subjects in Science? I really want to complete Human Neurobiology in Semester 2 of First Year however I'm doing a Bachelor of Science.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think you have to be enrolled in a biomed degree to complete the unit. In the handbook entry for the unit, it says under the 'Prohibitions' tab that you cannot take BMS1052 if you have taken PHY2011, so I'd imagine the two units overlap significantly content-wise.
2021: VCE
2022: Science / Arts @ Monash

ThunderDragon

• Trendsetter
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2021, 12:06:02 pm »
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think you have to be enrolled in a biomed degree to complete the unit. In the handbook entry for the unit, it says under the 'Prohibitions' tab that you cannot take BMS1052 if you have taken PHY2011, so I'd imagine the two units overlap significantly content-wise.
Yeah I just realised haha. There is another subject tho BMS1042 - Public health and preventive medicine which I kind of want to do but doesn't have any prohibtion subjects except it does say you need to be enrolled in Biomed or Psych.
2019 - Geography [41]

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2021, 12:21:21 pm »
+2
Yeah, that should be the case. Usually, subjects have prohibitions if they are something like 80% similar so you should be learning similar stuff.

Yeah I just realised haha. There is another subject tho BMS1042 - Public health and preventive medicine which I kind of want to do but doesn't have any prohibtion subjects except it does say you need to be enrolled in Biomed or Psych.
The only people I've known who have done that unit were in Biomed/psych but you can always email the faculty and ask whether it is possible.

LolYi

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Re: 2020 Monash New Student Thread
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2021, 05:33:55 am »
I'm on the same page as you, but I kinda wanna transfer into biomed halfway through the year so I can't take the bio units.... I hate maths and physics, but I kinda have to do it I guess? If I'm considering to do biomed, due total the fact I only got a 24 for methods(still devastated about it), I'll need to complete the equivalent of it in semester 1 Still deciding, am asking around. I'm thinking of doing a double major in physiology and biochemistry, as we'll need to complete 5 designated units to be considered for monash  postgraduate med via the science pathway (but both are my passion anyway, so I don't mind).
Best of luck mate, as long as we put in the work, we'll make it!!!!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 05:37:36 am by LolYi »