Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 04:27:53 pm

Author Topic: Please help me with my Tim Winton essay!!  (Read 3911 times)  Share 

megsales01

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Please help me with my Tim Winton essay!!
« on: July 25, 2019, 11:07:16 am »
Hello, I am struggling on my Tim Winton essay on human experiences and especially with the conclusion (i have only done one line). Would anyone please be able to give me tips and help!

The human experience is layered; complex. To be human is paradoxical because the experience of the individual becomes the history of the collective. Textual representation of human experiences are constructed by perspective; both of composer and responder. Iconic Australian writer and ocean activist, Tim Winton, uses the extended motif of the ocean to guide his representation of the human experience in his memoir The Boy Behind the Curtain. Specifically in The Wait and the Flow’ and ‘In the Shadow of the Hospital’, Winton blurs the line between fact and fiction to craft a representation of key moments in his life. In so doing, the reader is able to extrapolate that physical experiences manifest into different emotional reactions.

The dichotomous nature of the human experience is explored as intellect and creativity are blurred. Flow. Individualism and religion was a feature of context. Winton writes about his experience with violence and the impact it has on individuals in ‘The Wait and the Flow’. With the use of a reflective tone, Winton indicates his revere for the surf, culture and the experience of the community through exploring the human experience that is individual yet also connected to a larger community of humans: “These were the guys I watched most, the blokes who'd quickly become uncool in the seventies” He suggests that there is more to the experience of surfing than simply the physical act. Winton promotes the sense of the individual through listing. “The child of a pragmatic, philistine and insular culture.” This creates contrast between his familiar experience and the connection that surfing offered him. The listing also creates a romantic of the opportunities of self-development. “Even in my middle age it continues to provide respite”. Winton comments on the paradox that exists between the healthy and healing nature of the ocean through reflection.   

Texts represent human qualities and emotions associated with or existing from these experiences; both individual and collective. Winton explores resilience when faced with diversity in ‘In the Shadow of the Hospital’. With the use of an extended metaphor and cumulative detail, Winton is able to convey his childhood fear of the hospital. “The opaque windows had threads of steel in them, as if the patients were captives, in the long, open, ward with its ranks…”. This supports the idea that the human experience is more than physical, Winton relives his past and the fear he felt in the moments of visiting his father in the hospital. As an adult, Winton’s fear remains and this is evident through the use of personification “...the closer you got to the foot of those towers and their yawning electric doors, the more you noticed the vortex of suffering and need that sucked the boiled around you”. The metaphoric description outlines his feelings of suffocation. Winton finally uses a simile in comparing the hospitals emergency to hell: “The A&E entrance was like the hospitals emergency to a bright-lit hell”. This line creates a claustrophobic nightmare image of the hospital as Winton remembers it to be.

Context influences Winton's childhood however not directly his text. It gives readers a picture of his life growing up.

Thankyou!