Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 04:20:47 am

Author Topic: JMSS YEAR 10 ENTRANCE EXAM 2019 DISCUSSION  (Read 378411 times)  Share 

Pranshu_2k17

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Re: JMSS YEAR 10 ENTRANCE EXAM 2019 DISCUSSION
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2017, 09:26:56 am »
Hello guys, does the 3% rule mean that no matter what, 3% of your year level gets in or does it mean that 3% can get it in. In other words, any number of student in that 3% can get in.... :\        Sorry for my weird question

And another things,  can anyone please explain the writing exams for JMSS, what are they, which format do you write it and do you have any examples. I read the last years chat but they don’t clearly explain this.

Thanks  :-\

Jessica1231

• Trailblazer
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2017, 10:40:48 am »
Hello guys, does the 3% rule mean that no matter what, 3% of your year level gets in or does it mean that 3% can get it in. In other words, any number of student in that 3% can get in.... :\        Sorry for my weird question

And another things,  can anyone please explain the writing exams for JMSS, what are they, which format do you write it and do you have any examples. I read the last years chat but they don’t clearly explain this.

This year we had to write a prac report and a general report. They will provide all the information needed.

Pranshu_2k17

• Adventurer
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2017, 11:39:22 am »
Many people from the last years chat that they only did a discussion for the prac report.  But they were a couple that did the whole practice. Which is correct?

And also I head some people saying that in the other writing task you can choose the given topic or your own interest. Is this true? And what is the structure for this piece?

I’m sooooo confused for the writing sections... any help?

mi-xao-14

• Forum Obsessive
  • GO BEYOND!!!! PLUS ULTRA!!!!
  • Respect: +32
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2017, 12:46:23 pm »
Many people from the last years chat that they only did a discussion for the prac report.  But they were a couple that did the whole practice. Which is correct?

And also I head some people saying that in the other writing task you can choose the given topic or your own interest. Is this true? And what is the structure for this piece?

No. We weren't asked to write the whole prac essay. Speaking of logic, if we were asked to do that, I'm pretty sure that we would have to do an experiment, which costs a lot of time. For the prac essay, we only had to write the discussion by answering the questions (refer to my first post of this forum). People who sat in this exam in 2016 did the same thing as what we did this year (except our given experiment would be different to the 2016 exam).

Answering your second question, where did you get that info come from? For the 2017 exam, we were given some information to include in our essay. In the past years, I heard that the essay is based on biology, and this year's essay did involve bio. We had to write about Port Phillip Bay's water quality using a number of info being included our essay. Our task is to include as much info as we can in our essay. You can also include the info that you know about your given topic because I did that. For example, I talked about how water pollution can impact on food chain. If you're wondering about the essay's format, refer to this link. It's pretty much like that, except the JMSS exam would provide more information and more instructions, and your writing time only goes for 25 minutes. http://www.vcaa.vic.edu.au/Documents/exams/GAT/2013/2013GAT-cpr-w.pdf (Look at Writing Task 1)

:)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 12:48:15 pm by mi-xao-14 »

Pranshu_2k17

• Adventurer
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2017, 12:58:11 pm »
+1
No. We weren't asked to write the whole prac essay. Speaking of logic, if we were asked to do that, I'm pretty sure that we would have to do an experiment, which costs a lot of time. For the prac essay, we only had to write the discussion by answering the questions (refer to my first post of this forum). People who sat in this exam in 2016 did the same thing as what we did this year (except our given experiment would be different to the 2016 exam).

Answering your second question, where did you get that info come from? For the 2017 exam, we were given some information to include in our essay. In the past years, I heard that the essay is based on biology, and this year's essay did involve bio. We had to write about Port Phillip Bay's water quality using a number of info being included our essay. Our task is to include as much info as we can in our essay. You can also include the info that you know about your given topic because I did that. For example, I talked about how water pollution can impact on food chain. If you're wondering about the essay's format, refer to this link. It's pretty much like that, except the JMSS exam would provide more information and more instructions, and your writing time only goes for 25 minutes. http://www.vcaa.vic.edu.au/Documents/exams/GAT/2013/2013GAT-cpr-w.pdf (Look at Writing Task 1)

:)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)

Thank you so much ☺️

mi-xao-14

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2017, 01:10:43 pm »

Speaking of the 3% rule, it's 3% of the population of your year level of your school. These people who make into the 3% rule get accepted to the school. For example, my year level has 150 people. Applying the 3% rule, 4.5 people (JMSS can either round it up to 5 or down to 4) get accepted to JMSS. However, that does mean 4.5 people from my school get into JMSS. It is possible that there is less than 4 people that are offered a spot. The 3% rule is the maximum cap, so it's possible that JMSS accepts less than 3% of the population of your year level of your school.

emonerd

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2017, 02:02:17 pm »

so the Prac report only requires the discussion and the conclusion (I did anyway) and is usually related to physics. The second writing piece is usually something to do with environmental science so make sure study things like climate change, the effects humans have on the earth etc... however remember that jmss may change the structure of the exams every so years so don't always count on it being the same. Good luck !
2019 -Biology
2020- Chem, Methods, Spec, English and Literature

_jen_012.x

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2017, 01:24:24 pm »
To all the JMSS students, how does travel affect you? If I get in travel will be far but worth it. How far away is it for you guys?
class of 21’

subjects: glopol (2020) english economics philosophy further

Kiririn

• Adventurer
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2017, 09:16:26 pm »
it's like one and a half hour if i take the train, still worth it if i get in.

mi-xao-14

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2017, 09:33:44 pm »
It only takes me around 10 minutes, which is lucky for me. XD  (Only if I'm going to JMSS next year, which I'm not because I didn't get accepted).

Shadestache

• Forum Obsessive
  • Call me Shades
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2017, 10:22:34 pm »
To all the JMSS students, how does travel affect you? If I get in travel will be far but worth it. How far away is it for you guys?
To get to JMSS, I have to take the bus and train, which takes around 30-40 minutes for me. Worth it though XD.
When faced with a problem, you either find a way or an excuse.

quinn_03

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +22
« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2017, 08:45:59 am »
30 minute bus trip for me :)
2020 VCE
English [raw 50 + 60/60 exam score]
Literature [48]

Offering 2021 English and Literature tutoring + resources!

Pranshu_2k17

• Adventurer
« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2017, 08:00:27 am »
It would take me 1 hour and 40 minutes to get there by catching a Total of 2 buses and 2 trains. XD

_jen_012.x

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2017, 03:42:38 pm »
I would also take 2 busses and trains to get there. That's 1 and a half hours of travel each way
class of 21’

subjects: glopol (2020) english economics philosophy further

mi-xao-14

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2017, 04:19:05 pm »
Just got my JMSS exam report (I kept forgetting to request JMSS for it). Most of my science exams were bad... I'm dead...