Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 17, 2024, 12:56:14 am

Author Topic: Advice Please!!  (Read 905 times)

elcheese20

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Advice Please!!
« on: February 26, 2017, 11:59:01 pm »
Hey guys,

I know this is a common question - but I'd appreciate any advice.

I'm currently doing 12 units, and these are my subjects:

- Eng. Adv
- Eng Ext 1
- Eng Ext 2
- Modern History
- Biology
- Latin
- Mathematics Adv.

I'm in a bit of a dilemma...I've chosen 3 subjects which I'm not entirely sure will turn out. For Latin, I'm doing it via distance education. While I did it at school I topped the class and found it fairly easy. Right now, I'm not doing as well as I would like - however, i feel like if I had more time, I would do well. On the other hand, I do maths, which I also could do well in - however I don't enjoy it nor apply myself as much I need to in order to get good results. And then there's ext 2 english, which is a little unpredictable.

I want to drop maths, and go down to 10 units, but is this a bad idea? Every atar calculation I do - maths never counts haha

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: Advice Please!!
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 12:21:07 am »
Hey guys,

I know this is a common question - but I'd appreciate any advice.

I'm currently doing 12 units, and these are my subjects:

- Eng. Adv
- Eng Ext 1
- Eng Ext 2
- Modern History
- Biology
- Latin
- Mathematics Adv.

I'm in a bit of a dilemma...I've chosen 3 subjects which I'm not entirely sure will turn out. For Latin, I'm doing it via distance education. While I did it at school I topped the class and found it fairly easy. Right now, I'm not doing as well as I would like - however, i feel like if I had more time, I would do well. On the other hand, I do maths, which I also could do well in - however I don't enjoy it nor apply myself as much I need to in order to get good results. And then there's ext 2 english, which is a little unpredictable.

I want to drop maths, and go down to 10 units, but is this a bad idea? Every atar calculation I do - maths never counts haha

Hey elcheese! Yep, lots of people reconsidering subject choices right now, totally normal and good to be doing so! ;D

I'll keep my advice simple: If you don't enjoy Maths and think that time would be better invested in Latin and your many units of English, drop it. The key there; if you don't enjoy it. Marks and results and stuff are fine, but the second you stop enjoying a subject (at least a bit) in the HSC, it becomes dead weight and is just going to drag you down. If you aren't at least somewhat passionate about it, then it is going to be really hard to succeed in, and at that point it is like, "Why?" :)

So yeah, I think if you want to drop a subject it should be Maths - Whether you should is another matter. Be honest with yourself - Will that extra time be used efficiently? Would it genuinely improve your results elsewhere? If it would, then it sounds like dropping Maths could definitely be beneficial :)