Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 12:26:49 pm

Author Topic: What subject should I drop?  (Read 11584 times)

stephjones

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +3
What subject should I drop?
« on: February 08, 2017, 09:13:00 pm »
Hey guys! So obviously I'm just about in the middle of my HSC year and I'm still doing 13 units, and I really need more time so I want to drop one of my two unit courses. I have no idea what I'm doing after school so courses don't really matter, I'd just like someone elses thoughts on what I should drop!!

Prelim results -
Adv. English - 91
Ext. English - 92
Mathematics - 92
Ext. Maths - 78
Bio - 86
Modern - 93
PDHPE - 93
1u Religion - 88

The only thing I definitely don't want to drop is Bio, because I've picked up in that and it would open my options for uni if I ever decide what to do!!
HSC 2017 (ATAR - 98.40) - English Advanced (95), English Extension 1 (47), Mathematics (92), Mathematics Extension 1 (43), Modern History (92), Biology (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48)

USYD 2018 - Bachelor of Engineering (Biomedical) and Bachelor of Arts

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
Re: What subject should I drop?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 09:19:43 pm »
Your results say their own thing. But here's the important question.

Which subject do you like the LEAST?

Your results appear decently high all-rounded. So just looking at them, there really is no indication as to what it is you should drop. Of course, the Ext maths mark is the only one less than 80, but at the same time considering only the difficulty of the course, it's compensated for with all the scaling stuff and still a good mark.

Unless it's because you don't like it.

As a rule, what you should drop is what you feel you don't like the most, and by consequence what you would put least effort into. This is what you must consider. It may appear that you like everything equally, so when that happens really think about what you WANT to give your focus to.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 09:22:12 pm »
Hey guys! So obviously I'm just about in the middle of my HSC year and I'm still doing 13 units, and I really need more time so I want to drop one of my two unit courses. I have no idea what I'm doing after school so courses don't really matter, I'd just like someone elses thoughts on what I should drop!!

Prelim results -
Adv. English - 91
Ext. English - 92
Mathematics - 92
Ext. Maths - 78
Bio - 86
Modern - 93
PDHPE - 93
1u Religion - 88

The only thing I definitely don't want to drop is Bio, because I've picked up in that and it would open my options for uni if I ever decide what to do!!

Hey Steph! This is a really tough decision to make because it really shouldn't be one based on marks (especially since, out of your 2U subjects, every subject besides Bio is in the 90's)! ;D

Obviously keep Bio if you are keen to keep it, and I'd also suggest (provided you enjoy it) keeping Mathematics, if you decide to do anything STEM at university then 2 Unit will make your life loads easier :)

My advice is simple: Drop whatever subject you like the least! The HSC is about learning things that you are passionate about (at least a little ;)) and enhancing your understanding and soft skills to enter the next stage. It shouldn't be treated as a numbers game, meaning, don't pick what subject to drop based on scaling/marks. Subjects with the lowest marks do tend to be the ones you enjoy the least, but not always! Long story short - Pick what makes you happiest! ;D

stephjones

• Forum Regular
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2017, 09:27:12 pm »
Thanks guys - I'm just finding it really hard to decide which subjects I like the least honestly! I think I've narrowed it down to between Modern and PE, but each time I think I've decided I change my mind again haha, so I keep hoping that there might be some huge reason to force me to drop one over the other  :P :P :P
HSC 2017 (ATAR - 98.40) - English Advanced (95), English Extension 1 (47), Mathematics (92), Mathematics Extension 1 (43), Modern History (92), Biology (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2017, 09:27:57 pm »
Thanks guys - I'm just finding it really hard to decide which subjects I like the least honestly! I think I've narrowed it down to between Modern and PE, but each time I think I've decided I change my mind again haha, so I keep hoping that there might be some huge reason to force me to drop one over the other  :P :P :P

Is there a reason you definitely need more time? Orrr, could you drop a 1 Unit subject? ;D

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2017, 09:30:04 pm »
Okay, think and make a list. You're probably just juggling too many things at once.

Write down the pros and cons of dropping each, and then try outweighing between the two. Or post up the list for us to have a look at.

stephjones

• Forum Regular
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2017, 09:48:11 pm »
Okay so this was my pros and cons list for keeping each subject so far (thank you guys so much, i'm so sorry, i'm so frustrating to deal with about this)

Modern
PROS:
  • Scales a TINY bit better
  • Better classmates to collaborate with
  • Topics click in my head only once we've finished them, so easier to study for
  • Teacher explains things well & the work in class is useful

CONS
  • Harder content (in my opinion)
  • Ranked lower in Modern than in PE/slightly lower result in most recent assessment
  • Not confident that I can pull a Band 6
PDHPE
PROS
  • Ranked top 3
  • Easier exam paper than Modern (less essays)
  • Pick up content & concepts fairly easily
  • Really interested in Core 2
  • Syllabus is really clear & makes exam prep easier
CONS
  • Dislike Core 1
  • Less people in class to collab with
  • Spend a lot of spare time learning & teaching myself content
  • Heavy content

Overall I think I like being in my Modern class better than in my PE class, but I probably like the content from Core 2 in PE more than the national study, for example, in Modern. And I definitely think I need to drop a 2 unit, I especially need the extra study periods :(

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2017, 10:13:04 pm »
+3
Okay so this was my pros and cons list for keeping each subject so far (thank you guys so much, i'm so sorry, i'm so frustrating to deal with about this)

I've crossed out some things you shouldn't consider ;)

Modern
PROS:

CONS
  • Ranked lower in Modern than in PE/slightly lower result in most recent assessment
PDHPE
PROS
  • Ranked top 3
CONS
  • Dislike Core 1
  • Heavy content

Marks, ranks, exams - Not great reasons to choose/drop a subject (unless you are totally stuck otherwise)! Because ultimately, if you enjoy something, a harder exam won't matter! Finding content difficult, your working environment, your enjoyment - All of that is more relevant in my opinion :) based purely on that list, it sounds like you are more into Modern! But it also sounds like you really like both. Are you dropping 2 units because you're really struggling with content? Like, are you slipping behind or is this more of a cautionary thing? Your results all sound great to me, just curious why you think you need the extra study periods that's all ;D

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2017, 10:15:47 pm »
+4

Modern
PROS:

CONS
PDHPE
PROS
  • Ranked top 3
CONS
  • Dislike Core 1
  • Heavy content

Overall I think I like being in my Modern class better than in my PE class, but I probably like the content from Core 2 in PE more than the national study, for example, in Modern. And I definitely think I need to drop a 2 unit, I especially need the extra study periods :(

Okay so. Hello. I am the modern lecturer. Modern was my fave subject. Literally obsessed. Didn't study PDHPE. Slightly (extremely most definitely) biased - so take that into consideration, and take my recommendations with a grain of salt. Buuuuuuuutttttt my recommendation is stick with modern (surprise surprise).

The reason I am saying this is mainly due to the fact that you are saying that your teacher/class is better for modern, and I just know from my experience how important something like that is. I was blessed with an amazing modern history teacher. I was not blessed with an equally amazing teacher within another subject (don't want to say which subject exactly since I know ppl from my school are on here and I don't really want it to get back to them) and that greatly affected my experience of the two classes (and the marks I received for them). Also if the reason you want to drop two units is that you feel like you don't have enough time to study everything, the fact that you feel like you have to learn parts of PDHPE on your own concerns me.

A 93 in modern (particularly at the beginning of the year) is an insanely good mark. Like insane. You say that you're not confident that you can get a band 6 but I certainly am for you haha. Plus as you say modern scales quite well, so even if your mark is slightly higher in PDHPE it will probably be roughly the same anyhow.

But as I stated earlier please take this with a grain of salt. If you were going to write a source analysis on me you could say that my perspective is tinged with a deep rooted, underlying agenda  8) I'd suggest having this discussion with your modern history and PDHPE teachers as well.
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

stephjones

• Forum Regular
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2017, 10:40:49 pm »
Marks, ranks, exams - Not great reasons to choose/drop a subject (unless you are totally stuck otherwise)! Because ultimately, if you enjoy something, a harder exam won't matter! Finding content difficult, your working environment, your enjoyment - All of that is more relevant in my opinion :) based purely on that list, it sounds like you are more into Modern! But it also sounds like you really like both. Are you dropping 2 units because you're really struggling with content? Like, are you slipping behind or is this more of a cautionary thing? Your results all sound great to me, just curious why you think you need the extra study periods that's all ;D

Okay you're absolutely right, thank you!! Yeah, I feel as though, as the workload is increasing into Year 12 I'm just falling behind in some subjects, particularly ext maths, and its a little demotivating and frustrating for me personally to be putting all this work into 3 of my units knowing that they won't count towards my final ATAR. But thank you so much, you've really helped clear my head about all this haha  :) :) :)

stephjones

• Forum Regular
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2017, 10:48:23 pm »
Okay so. Hello. I am the modern lecturer. Modern was my fave subject. Literally obsessed. Didn't study PDHPE. Slightly (extremely most definitely) biased - so take that into consideration, and take my recommendations with a grain of salt. Buuuuuuuutttttt my recommendation is stick with modern (surprise surprise).

The reason I am saying this is mainly due to the fact that you are saying that your teacher/class is better for modern, and I just know from my experience how important something like that is. I was blessed with an amazing modern history teacher. I was not blessed with an equally amazing teacher within another subject (don't want to say which subject exactly since I know ppl from my school are on here and I don't really want it to get back to them) and that greatly affected my experience of the two classes (and the marks I received for them). Also if the reason you want to drop two units is that you feel like you don't have enough time to study everything, the fact that you feel like you have to learn parts of PDHPE on your own concerns me.

A 93 in modern (particularly at the beginning of the year) is an insanely good mark. Like insane. You say that you're not confident that you can get a band 6 but I certainly am for you haha. Plus as you say modern scales quite well, so even if your mark is slightly higher in PDHPE it will probably be roughly the same anyhow.

But as I stated earlier please take this with a grain of salt. If you were going to write a source analysis on me you could say that my perspective is tinged with a deep rooted, underlying agenda  8) I'd suggest having this discussion with your modern history and PDHPE teachers as well.

Hahaha thank you!! You're right, I think I am leaning a bit more towards modern now but your arguments really make sense so thank you so much for helping me!! I'll definitely have a conversation with my teachers tomorrow about it with all this to back up my (hopefully) final decision, so thank you guys for sticking around to help me wrap my head around this, you're all legends!!!   :D :D :D

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2017, 10:52:40 pm »
Hahaha thank you!! You're right, I think I am leaning a bit more towards modern now but your arguments really make sense so thank you so much for helping me!! I'll definitely have a conversation with my teachers tomorrow about it with all this to back up my (hopefully) final decision, so thank you guys for sticking around to help me wrap my head around this, you're all legends!!!   :D :D :D

Discussing with your teachers is definitely a great idea :) I'm sure whatever you decision you made it will be the right one, so happy we could help ;D

kiiaaa

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2017, 06:42:48 pm »
Hi,
the subjects i do are:
SAC
Business studies
Adv English
Maths (2Unit)
Legal studies and Biology

Im pretty in the average to somewhat the top range for all my subjects except bio and maths (dont like either). so im considering to drop either. Now im worried that being on 10 units isnt safe. do you recommend i drop bio to i can focus on my other subjects and improve my other subjects like maths (hopefully =/ ) or do you suggest i keep both. thing is with bio it is hard to score well in like it is overly picky in what to exactly have in the answer and too much content. maths is hard but i sometimes can wrap my head around it. i guess my biggest fear is then if i drop bio or maths the rest will count towards my atar. im so confused what to do.

thank you :))

Aaron12038488

• Trendsetter
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2017, 06:49:11 pm »
Personally, I'll stick with 12 units as it just gives you a safety net. Although with 10 units, the spare time given, I'll probably chill instead of using the time to effectively study. All in all, its all about you. How much effort are you willing to put in for the prize!

kiiaaa

• Trendsetter
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2017, 06:54:37 pm »
Personally, I'll stick with 12 units as it just gives you a safety net. Although with 10 units, the spare time given, I'll probably chill instead of using the time to effectively study. All in all, its all about you. How much effort are you willing to put in for the prize!

yeah now that is what im thinking too. if i would really use the those free periods to do extra work. i lowkey think i will but then you never really know do we (like you said i may end up taking naps). im just worried is there a point of a safety net if i do bad in the subject tho? like bio although i could wrap my head arond the yr 11 content, year 12 is so much to learn that i don't know if i cant invest so much time in that. Same with maths i need time to either practice and excel in it. i guess my biggest fear from dropping bio is that what if the HSC presents a curve ball and i screw an exam up.