Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 09:02:17 am

Author Topic: Homework vs study  (Read 5872 times)

marshmallow.on.fire

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +1
Homework vs study
« on: January 29, 2017, 08:56:02 am »
Hey, I've been reading some articles on study tips and timetables, and it is often mentioned that homework and study are separated. So i'd just like clarification on the differences, and how much time should be spent on 'homework'each night. Thank you!!
I fell in love with atarnotes the way you fall asleep: slowly, and then all at once.

(except skip the slowly!)

2017 HSC subjects:
Advanced English
Biology
Mathematics
Chemistry
Geography

Chemystery

• Forum Regular
  • Caity x
  • Respect: +4
Homework vs study
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2017, 09:04:16 am »
+4
Hey, I've been reading some articles on study tips and timetables, and it is often mentioned that homework and study are separated. So i'd just like clarification on the differences, and how much time should be spent on 'homework'each night. Thank you!!

Brilliant question! Took me a year to figure this out sadly

Alright! Homework is set tasks, unfinished class work and I'd even chuck in assessments there - in short, homework is set by your teacher/assigned in class

Alternatively, study is personally set! In saying this, you may ask your teachers or other students past or present how to go about studying and how to write summaries (take a bit of getting used to, my friend!), but in general this is on your own terms. Studying includes summary notes, anything outside class set work and revision/preparation for upcoming exams!

Hope this helped! Maybe checkout That Student Life Australia on YouTube! They sure helped me a heap with clarification and they have a whole bunch of study tips from an ATAR 95+ perspective!

Good luck :)

Edit edit edit: In terms of timetable, I find going 1 hour first up set aside for homework to get that out of the road! Then depending on how many subjects, your personal schedule and what suits you, pop in 30mins of productive studying for each subject is a personal suggestion of mine. Extension courses generally half the time of that since they only count for half the units! Mix it up to find what suits you!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 09:09:15 am by Chemystery »
Reaching for the stars ♥
Music 1: 78
----------------------------
2017:
Mathematics
Mathematics Ext 1
Biology
Physics

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
Re: Homework vs study
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2017, 09:04:57 am »
+3
Colloquially, 'homework' and 'study' are two alternate forms that both fall under the umbrella of 'revision'.

Homework is receiving work based off what you learnt RECENTLY (i.e. same day, in class) and being instructed to force your hand on doing similar things AGAIN in your own time. It aids in shifting things you learnt on the day to the back of your head so that it may be accessed more readily when the time comes.

Study is your personal choice to revisit things learnt ANY time over the past (within the HSC year, in the context of the HSC) and attempting to force the knowledge into a more easily-accessible long-term memory. Not only is it slightly more your choice (I mean, you can opt to not do homework), but it's your will to cover a broader range of concepts, and thus focuses on how quickly you can extract knowledge for the exam.

Which is why I only ever did homework my teacher set. Because that's all I need to be able to retain a sufficient amount of knowledge for later. That being said, this is also MUCH more important when I DON'T need to worry about exams coming up. As soon as the exams start coming up, the attention is shifted much further to 'study'.

Ellie__

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2017, 08:09:27 pm »
Hi Guys,

Just on the subject of study, I'm struggling to make a study timetable where I will actually have a routine after school each day and on the weekend. Currently I'm spending wayyyy too long on one thing and running out of time for all the other subjects. Do you have any suggestions on how to build a study timetable  an some more efficient methods of studying

Thankyou!!

Ellie G

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2017, 08:27:35 pm »
+1
Hi Guys,

Just on the subject of study, I'm struggling to make a study timetable where I will actually have a routine after school each day and on the weekend. Currently I'm spending wayyyy too long on one thing and running out of time for all the other subjects. Do you have any suggestions on how to build a study timetable  an some more efficient methods of studying

Thankyou!!

Ellie G
Make your timetable more "blocked".

When I say that, I mean allocate more time to a few things every day, rather than less time to achieving multiple things. The main suggestion is to timetable using 1.5hr - 2hr intervals instead. Because by what you're saying, you're implying you tend to get started on one thing and want to stick to it. So having timetables based on 30min - 1hr intervals will probably be ineffective.

After 2 hours, you should pretty much be drained. So you're bound to be ready for a proper rest.

Make sure you note down any priorities as well, e.g. studying for an upcoming test or handing in an assignment. These might need special time slots allocated.

Also, when timetabling, do include dinner and what not in it as well. And remember that you may just have a thing called 'life' damaging it, so don't timetable too strictly either. Always give some room for 'life' instead of overpack your timetable.

Main takeout is what I boldfaced - rest are just little bits of advice.

QC

• Forum Regular
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2017, 09:24:06 pm »
+1
I personally think of homework (similarly to others) as set work by a teacher, usually I put this as a lesser priority as studying which I see as either working ahead or working on the things that we are currently working on. I think of study as understanding the concepts more broadly and more deeply rather than just doing sets 1-3 in some textbook or whatever. As mentioned earlier, study can also just be working on your assessments that are ahead.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2017, 10:39:49 pm »
Hi Guys,

Thankyou!!

Ellie G

Welcome to the forums Ellie! Rui's given some good advice above, let me add this to your reading list! It's a guide on creating a study timetable - I reckon it could help you get into a good routine that works for you! ;D

Ellie__

• Trailblazer
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2017, 04:34:17 pm »
+1
Make your timetable more "blocked".

When I say that, I mean allocate more time to a few things every day, rather than less time to achieving multiple things. The main suggestion is to timetable using 1.5hr - 2hr intervals instead. Because by what you're saying, you're implying you tend to get started on one thing and want to stick to it. So having timetables based on 30min - 1hr intervals will probably be ineffective.

After 2 hours, you should pretty much be drained. So you're bound to be ready for a proper rest.

Make sure you note down any priorities as well, e.g. studying for an upcoming test or handing in an assignment. These might need special time slots allocated.

Also, when timetabling, do include dinner and what not in it as well. And remember that you may just have a thing called 'life' damaging it, so don't timetable too strictly either. Always give some room for 'life' instead of overpack your timetable.

Main takeout is what I boldfaced - rest are just little bits of advice.

THANKYOUUU GUYS!!!

Neilab

• Forum Regular
  • School: Riverside Girls High School
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2017, 05:23:56 pm »
Brilliant question! Took me a year to figure this out sadly

Alright! Homework is set tasks, unfinished class work and I'd even chuck in assessments there - in short, homework is set by your teacher/assigned in class

Alternatively, study is personally set! In saying this, you may ask your teachers or other students past or present how to go about studying and how to write summaries (take a bit of getting used to, my friend!), but in general this is on your own terms. Studying includes summary notes, anything outside class set work and revision/preparation for upcoming exams!

Hope this helped! Maybe checkout That Student Life Australia on YouTube! They sure helped me a heap with clarification and they have a whole bunch of study tips from an ATAR 95+ perspective!

Good luck :)

Edit edit edit: In terms of timetable, I find going 1 hour first up set aside for homework to get that out of the road! Then depending on how many subjects, your personal schedule and what suits you, pop in 30mins of productive studying for each subject is a personal suggestion of mine. Extension courses generally half the time of that since they only count for half the units! Mix it up to find what suits you!

Couldn't help but notice you mentioned "that student life Australia" - his video's are so great!! I think they are super underrated

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2017, 07:18:39 pm »
Hi Guys,

Thankyou!!

Ellie G

Hey, Ellie! :)

Out of interest, have you tried using to-do lists instead of study timetables?

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Victoria Kotaidis

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2017, 07:23:17 pm »
Hey Ellie
Smashing VCE Planner by Ticking Mind is amazing!!!
Recommend 100% :)
Victoria

Kirri Rule

• Trailblazer
  • School: Northern beaches christain school
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2017, 10:58:32 am »
Hi with half yearlies coming up I'm really struggling because our homework work load isn't going down but they are still expecting us to study. Should i then prioritise study or homework? Thank you

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2017, 11:09:00 am »
+1
Hi with half yearlies coming up I'm really struggling because our homework work load isn't going down but they are still expecting us to study. Should i then prioritise study or homework? Thank you

Hey Kirri! Ideally, your homework will be helping you prepare for half yearlies. Unless the topics are completely different, then the homework will help you for the exams - Try not to consider them completely distinct! Homework is absolutely a form of study and should form a big part of your prep.

You should prioritise whatever you think helps you the most. If you think putting a bit less time into those textbook questions for Legal, and working on your Creative for English instead, will help you more - Then do that. Communicate with your teachers and be honest with yourself in how you prioritise, but it is a very personal thing ;D

How much homework are you getting? Perhaps you should aim to do your homework on the day you get it then devote your study time on the weekends entirely to extra study for the exams? :)

Kirri Rule

• Trailblazer
  • School: Northern beaches christain school
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2017, 08:49:47 pm »
Hey Kirri! Ideally, your homework will be helping you prepare for half yearlies. Unless the topics are completely different, then the homework will help you for the exams - Try not to consider them completely distinct! Homework is absolutely a form of study and should form a big part of your prep.

You should prioritise whatever you think helps you the most. If you think putting a bit less time into those textbook questions for Legal, and working on your Creative for English instead, will help you more - Then do that. Communicate with your teachers and be honest with yourself in how you prioritise, but it is a very personal thing ;D

How much homework are you getting? Perhaps you should aim to do your homework on the day you get it then devote your study time on the weekends entirely to extra study for the exams? :)

It is seeming the teachers are going through the content in class, then giving us extra dot point for example to teacher ourselves at home, then doing a different dot point the next lesson. So when i get home from school i spend all my time allocated for study catching up on all my school work. And this then happens continually so im feeling like im never actually getting to study?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2017, 11:53:40 pm »
It is seeming the teachers are going through the content in class, then giving us extra dot point for example to teacher ourselves at home, then doing a different dot point the next lesson. So when i get home from school i spend all my time allocated for study catching up on all my school work. And this then happens continually so im feeling like im never actually getting to study?

Ohhh okay right! Are you guys behind? If they are getting you to do dot points at home then it could be that they are trying to cram a topic (I hate when teachers do this, not always their fault, but absolutely not on...)

Perhaps a chat with your teacher would be best? Explain that you are having trouble finding revision time because you are using all your time learning the content you are assigned for home? It could be that they aren't quite considering everything you guys have going on... Communicating is going to help them help you! :)