Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 30, 2024, 01:49:37 am

Author Topic: Should I change from phys to senior science?  (Read 5115 times)  Share 

shaner

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Should I change from phys to senior science?
« on: October 10, 2017, 04:24:45 pm »
I'm undecided on whether I should switch from Physics to Senior Science. I went from 40% in the half yearly to 57% for the yearly. I'm not too fond of physics and merely chose it for the possibility of opening myself to more degrees at university. I have tried to give it a good go but I don't think it's working out. Have any of you switched from Phys/Other science to senior science? and if so how has that worked out for you?

bundahboy

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +18
Re: Should I change from phys to senior science?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 05:18:11 pm »
+1
I'm undecided on whether I should switch from Physics to Senior Science. I went from 40% in the half yearly to 57% for the yearly. I'm not too fond of physics and merely chose it for the possibility of opening myself to more degrees at university. I have tried to give it a good go but I don't think it's working out. Have any of you switched from Phys/Other science to senior science? and if so how has that worked out for you?

Depends on your school but I genuinely don't think 57% in a Phys yearly is a 'bad' score. Obviously there are a range of factors involved but 57% in the final HSC exam typically converts to a high B4 or low B5; certainly not enough (in my opinion) to warrant a drop to Senior Science. Considering that Senior Science scales significantly worse than Physics in all mark ranges, I would stick with Physics if I were in your position. I would also note my opinion that Prelim Physics is in fact more difficult than HSC Physics in certain ways, so your raw exam marks may well improve in Year 12.

Of course, if you truly can't stand Physics and actively hate the subject, then it's probably best to be rid of it. But then I would also consider whether Senior Science would be any better in that regard, e.g. by researching the course and seeing if it is more to your liking.
2017 HSC: English Advanced // English Extension 1 // English Extension 2 // Mathematics Extension 1 // Mathematics Extension 2 // Physics // Chemistry // Economics

LAT 2016: 100th percentile // UMAT 2017: 99th percentile

Savas_P

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 05:20:27 pm »
even if just for dignity stay in physics. in year 12 half yearly I went from 48% to the yearly 50%. oh well I will see how I go.....

blasonduo

• Forum Obsessive
  • Schrodinger waved while Heisenberg didn't?
  • Respect: +356
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 06:04:27 pm »
+1
Also, no matter what you do, We'll be here to answer physics (or senior science!) questions! It'll be very useful which can make learning that much easier!
2018: UNSW B science (physics)/B education

Kicking myself into gear

HSC Physics Topics 1 & 2 Exam!