Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 02:46:07 am

Author Topic: The QCE Years - My Journey to Changing the World through Business and Technology  (Read 51368 times)

JerryMouse2019

• MOTM: NOV 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • I love Spider-Man :)
  • Respect: +113
Hello there fellow ATARNotes readers,

I was planning on starting this journal when I ended year 10 this year but then I changed my mind, so here it goes. I'm in year 10 currently which means that I will be graduating high school in 2021. My current dream career involves stopping climate change or helping others solve a problem through the career fields of business (economics) and information technology (cyber security or computer science). This is why I am currently aiming to do a double degree in business/information technology at QUT once I graduate from high school.

My QCE subjects are as follows:

English
General Maths
Business
Economics
Legal Studies
Digital Solutions

Anyways I hope to update this journal of mine as much as possible in the spare time that I have,

Until next time,

Thanks for reading,

Kind Regards
JerryMouse2019  ;D
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 01:24:04 pm by JerryMouse2019 »
QCE Class of 2021: English | General Maths | Business | Economics | Legal Studies | Digital Solutions

“Inaction breeds doubt and fear. Action breeds confidence and courage. If you want to conquer fear, do not sit home and think about it. Go out and get busy” – Dale Carnegie

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
Nice one! What are your favourite/least favourite subjects atm? :)

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Yes!

It's always amazing to see people interested in other fields who also want to tackle anthropogenic climate change - we need all sectors together to create real and lasting change.

What's digital solutions like?

JerryMouse2019

• Forum Obsessive
My favourite subjects currently in year 10 are economics, geography and biology.

I like economics because it helps me understand how the real world works.

I like biology because it helps me understand how we as humans work or how animals work.

I like geography because it helps me understand world problems such as food insecurity, climate change and developmental problems in developing countries such as famine or war. The only problem I have with geography is that since it is a humanities subject you have to write a lot when you get research assignments.

My least favourite subjects in year 10 include:

English Literature - I do well in it but it's hard to gain interest in it sometimes since I'm doing literature.
Maths Methods - I struggle in maths a lot (practising is my problem).
Digital Solutions - The coding bit is fun but when you have to write your own responses in your assignment it gets boring.
QCE Class of 2021: English | General Maths | Business | Economics | Legal Studies | Digital Solutions

“Inaction breeds doubt and fear. Action breeds confidence and courage. If you want to conquer fear, do not sit home and think about it. Go out and get busy” – Dale Carnegie

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
The only problem I have with geography is that since it is a humanities subject you have to write a lot when you get research assignments.

Very relatable. Yesterday I had a 2000 word management report due for conservation biology. Everyone else was talking about how it was hard to stay in the word limit and I was there going ??? The word limit does not need to be any higher??

JerryMouse2019

• Forum Obsessive
I've heard that universities are pretty strict with word limits when it comes to assignments, is this true?

My teachers have told me that when you submit your assignment online if you have already gone over the word limit then the submission software will cut out the words after it finds that enough words have been written.

When it comes to the QCE does the word limit depend on the subject and the type of assignment task?

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
I've heard that universities are pretty strict with word limits when it comes to assignments, is this true?

My teachers have told me that when you submit your assignment online if you have already gone over the word limit then the submission software will cut out the words after it finds that enough words have been written.

When it comes to the QCE does the word limit depend on the subject and the type of assignment task?

Depends on the uni, the faculty, and the specific assignment in question. Often you might get a 10% buffer either way, but this year I've had mainly hard cut offs. One thing that I would say is quite different is that you don't always have to write close to the word limit (i.e. you can have many less words)

I've never encountered a technology like that. What I have seen is a 10% penalty for each 10% over OR each word over the limit being ignored.

Yeah for QCE it's subject & assignment dependent

K.Smithy

• QLD MVP - 2019
  • QCE Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • "We are the cosmos made conscious." B.C. (she/her)
  • Respect: +396
Hello there fellow ATARNotes readers,

I was planning on starting this journal when I ended year 10 this year but then I changed my mind, so here it goes. I'm in year 10 currently which means that I will be graduating high school in 2021. My current dream career involves stopping climate change or helping others solve a problem through the career fields of business (economics) and information technology (cyber security or computer science). This is why I am currently aiming to do a double degree in business/information technology at QUT once I graduate from high school.

My QCE subjects are as follows:

English
General Maths (This might change)
Business
Economics
Digital Solutions
Biology

Anyways I hope to update this journal of mine as much as possible in the spare time that I have,

Until next time,

Thanks for reading,

Kind Regards
JerryMouse2019  ;D

Hey JerryMouse2019!

I'm super passionate about the climate crisis and the environment and I found it really interesting that you wanted to go into business and information technology. Out of curiosity, do you believe that this pathway will aid you in helping stop climate change, and if so how? I've heard of a lot of people going into environmental sciences and stuff, but never business and IT - I thought that was very cool :)
QCE 2020: Physics (92) || Psychology (96) || Biology (93) || Methods (79) || English (98) || SOR (91)
ATAR: 98.40
2021-2024: Bachelor of Advanced Science (Honours) @ UQ

Uni Journal ; U3 Bio ; U3 Psych ; U3 Physics

JerryMouse2019

• Forum Obsessive
Hello K.Smithy,

Initially I was thinking of doing something in environmental science but then I realised that doing environmental science wouldn't have immediately guaranteed me a job after my graduation from university. If I had done environmental science then I would've have gone into research afterwards. The problem with me going into research is that I didn't want to discover or research more about climate change, I wanted to act on climate change. This is why when I realised this potential with doing environmental economics and data science that I could save the planet, I had a light bulb moment with these two career fields. My light bulb moment came in the form of a passage that I had read in a magazine in my school library, the magazine was titled, 'CareersWithSTEM.' In the passage it stated how one person was doing a job in which they were tracking the satellite data of carbon emissions around the world using data science. The same goes for environmental economics, I read another passage from the magazine that showed a person who was helping governments and businesses with making significant environmental decisions through environmental economics. Even though I may not find a job in Business and Information Technology that will directly help me stop climate change straight away, these two career fields will definitely allow me to help people which is one of my other goals. Besides technology is all around us and it is ever changing which is why there is so much potential for it to be used for stopping world problems such as climate change.

You can read one of the passages from the magazine here (it is on page eight): https://issuu.com/refractionmedia/docs/cws_economics_2019

Thanks for replying,

Kind Regards
JerryMouse2019
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 09:55:06 am by JerryMouse2019 »

K.Smithy

• QLD MVP - 2019
  • QCE Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
Hello K.Smithy,

Initially I was thinking of doing something in environmental science but then I realised that doing environmental science wouldn't have immediately guaranteed me a job after my graduation from university. If I had done environmental science then I would've have gone into research afterwards. The problem with me going into research is that I didn't want to discover or research more about climate change, I wanted to act on climate change. This is why when I realised this potential with doing environmental economics and data science that I could save the planet, I had a light bulb moment with these two career fields. My light bulb moment came in the form of a passage that I had read in a magazine in my school library, the magazine was titled, 'CareersWithSTEM.' In the passage it stated how one person was doing a job in which they were tracking the satellite data of carbon emissions around the world using data science. The same goes for environmental economics, I read another passage from the magazine that showed a person who was helping governments and businesses with making significant environmental decisions through environmental economics. Even though I may not find a job in Business and Information Technology that will directly help me stop climate change straight away, these two career fields will definitely allow me to help people which is one of my other goals. Besides technology is all around us and it is ever changing which is why there is so much potential for it to be used for stopping world problems such as climate change.

You can read one of the passages from the magazine here (it is on page eight): https://issuu.com/refractionmedia/docs/cws_economics_2019

Thanks for replying,

Kind Regards
JerryMouse2019

Wow, you really have it all thought through! People my age talk about wanting to stop climate change all the time, but it is refreshing to see someone who has put a lot of thought into how they can achieve that. But hey! If you are super keen about it, what's stopping you from making a difference now? Maybe you could talk to your school's principle about potential ideas in regard to making your school more environmentally friendly. I'm planning to talk to my principle in the next coming weeks. Some ideas I have come up with are:
- improving my schools waste management by introducing worm farms and composting (this allows for organic materials in the form of food waste to be used for something good. This also means that less organic material ends up in landfill, thus decreasing methane production. Fun fact (or maybe a not so fun fact): ~50% of greenhouse gas emissions from landfill is methane, which is much more dangerous than CO2. Landfill establishes anaerobic conditions which allows for methane-producing bacteria to begin decomposing organic material and generate methane.)
- Introducing a community garden
- Introducing an environmental committee (allowing for many students to get involved)
- Introducing aquaponics
- Reducing plastic in our tuck shop

Those are just some ideas. I would also love to get my school to start supporting charities such as Envision Hands (they take caps from milk bottles and produce prosthetic limbs from them).

If you're interested in finding out how your school sits with CO2 emissions and stuff, you can check out this link below (it will only work if your school is registered with "solar schools" however).
https://www.solarschools.net

If you ever want to read more about the climate crisis, I really recommend IPCC reports - those are extremely eye opening and insightful. Also, I found the 2018 Global Report on Internal Displacement very interesting. It really paints a picture of how climate change is affecting people around the world.

Also, if you're interested, there is this petition that will go to the Australian Government and if it gets enough signatures, parliament will declare a climate emergency. So yeah, if you want you can check that out.
https://www.aph.gov.au/petition_sign?id=EN1041

Anywho, that's enough of my ramble :)
I wish you the best on your journey through the ATAR system. Thank you for caring about the planet :)
QCE 2020: Physics (92) || Psychology (96) || Biology (93) || Methods (79) || English (98) || SOR (91)

JerryMouse2019

• Forum Obsessive
I might apply for an environmental leader position next year in my school. Also I like your enthusiasm and ideas when it comes to stopping climate change.

DrDusk

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +130
Wow, you really have it all thought through! People my age talk about wanting to stop climate change all the time, but it is refreshing to see someone who has put a lot of thought into how they can achieve that. But hey! If you are super keen about it, what's stopping you from making a difference now? Maybe you could talk to your school's principle about potential ideas in regard to making your school more environmentally friendly. I'm planning to talk to my principle in the next coming weeks. Some ideas I have come up with are:
- improving my schools waste management by introducing worm farms and composting (this allows for organic materials in the form of food waste to be used for something good. This also means that less organic material ends up in landfill, thus decreasing methane production. Fun fact (or maybe a not so fun fact): ~50% of greenhouse gas emissions from landfill is methane, which is much more dangerous than CO2. Landfill establishes anaerobic conditions which allows for methane-producing bacteria to begin decomposing organic material and generate methane.)
- Introducing a community garden
- Introducing an environmental committee (allowing for many students to get involved)
- Introducing aquaponics
- Reducing plastic in our tuck shop

Those are just some ideas. I would also love to get my school to start supporting charities such as Envision Hands (they take caps from milk bottles and produce prosthetic limbs from them).

If you're interested in finding out how your school sits with CO2 emissions and stuff, you can check out this link below (it will only work if your school is registered with "solar schools" however).
https://www.solarschools.net

If you ever want to read more about the climate crisis, I really recommend IPCC reports - those are extremely eye opening and insightful. Also, I found the 2018 Global Report on Internal Displacement very interesting. It really paints a picture of how climate change is affecting people around the world.

Also, if you're interested, there is this petition that will go to the Australian Government and if it gets enough signatures, parliament will declare a climate emergency. So yeah, if you want you can check that out.
https://www.aph.gov.au/petition_sign?id=EN1041

Anywho, that's enough of my ramble :)
I wish you the best on your journey through the ATAR system. Thank you for caring about the planet :)
That's great! it's always great to be environmentally friendly and take care of our planet.

The reality though is a lot of people want climate change to cease or be reduced significantly but this really is not possible without new technology that is also affordable. The population of this planet is increasing exponentially. Coal will run about in about 100 or so years and oils in about 50 years. After this we will have no option but to switch to electric cars and what not which will be powered by windmills and any other new sustainable technology that may be developed. However this won't stop the fact that deforestation will still keep on occurring, unless we eliminate the need of paper, wooden furniture etc, which could happen I guess. Sadly though a lot of people don't even believe in climate change even though there's scientific proof that greenhouse gases trap heat which allows us to extrapolate and say it traps heat on the Earth, and it's because a lot of people don't believe in it EVEN though there's so MUCH evidence that not a lot will change. It will take a lot of time for any significant action to take place, this new generation is growing up educated with a firm belief in Climate change, so I would say only when we begins to enter politics and organizations that there will be an actual difference.

As of now Scientists suggest Global warning has already gone too far so any actions we take now will only reduce the Climate change by a bit, and even if we cut out everything and made out emissions zero in the whole world climate change will still continue for a long time. A sad reality but this is what has become of The Earth.

JerryMouse2019

• Forum Obsessive
UPDATE:

Yesterday I was given my first assignment based on macroeconomic management. They've basically made a mini version of unit 4 for economics in year 10 at my school. The economics around nations is a very interesting topic. Hopefully I can nail this assignment. Besides the word limit is far less than the word limit that I will be using in my QCE economics assignments in the next two years (economics is a humanities subject so knowing that the word limit is small is an assuring thing). I am also hoping to post more updates in the near future so be sure to keep watching this journal grow into my QCE journey.

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
Wow. That sounds great!  Certainly seems much more engaging than the electives I had in year 10 :)

@DrDusk

I don't want to derail Jerry's thread but as someone who is majoring in ecology and conservation biology in a course called global challenges you might imagine that I hear a lot about the pressures we're putting on the planet.  I strongly believe there is reason for hope & I'd be happy to have this debate with you in another thread.

The socio-political problem now (in Aus at least) is also not so much lack of belief and instead lack of will to change.

K.Smithy

• QLD MVP - 2019
  • QCE Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
I might apply for an environmental leader position next year in my school. Also I like your enthusiasm and ideas when it comes to stopping climate change.

Ooh yeah! Definitely do that, I really think that would be a worthwhile experience and would open up so many opportunities.