Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 03:46:20 am

Author Topic: COVID-19 and Education  (Read 84142 times)  Share 

ArtyDreams

• MOTM: Jan 20
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Fly against the wind. Not with it.
  • Respect: +599
Re: COVID-19 and Education
« Reply #225 on: July 30, 2020, 05:20:23 pm »
+7
Another massive jump in cases in Victoria today. 80+ schools have had to close down since this term started too.

How's everyone feeling about going to school amongst all this? Do you think we'll be closed down again?

Take care!

J_Rho

• MOTM: MARCH 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +756
« Reply #226 on: July 30, 2020, 06:00:24 pm »
+4
I'm very happy that masks are being enforced in regional Vic! I've been waiting for them to do this, finally!!!!! Now it wont be weird to wear a mask at school!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 08:12:07 pm by J_Rho »
— VCE —
English 30, Further Maths 33, Biology 33, Legal Studies 27, Psychology 32

— University —
Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash
Bachelor of Counselling & Psychological Science @ ACAP

iam_real_don

• Adventurer
  • Main Hoon Don (I am Don)
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #227 on: July 30, 2020, 06:00:56 pm »
That is very big number of schools closing down in Victoria, hope y'all are safe and keep studying hard at home on Microsoft Teams, the greatest school based learning at home system.

Microsoft Teams, the greatest school based learning at home system.
With Great Pleasure,
(Don)

HSC 2020 ATAR - 85.65
Adv English - 88
PDHPE - 88
FT - 92
Adv Math - 78
IPT - 83

The Cat In The Hat

• MOTM: NOV 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Do all to the glory of God. - 1 Corinthians 10:31
  • Respect: +344
« Reply #228 on: July 30, 2020, 06:09:45 pm »
+2
That is very big number of schools closing down in Victoria, hope y'all are safe and keep studying hard at home on Microsoft Teams, the greatest school based learning at home system.

Microsoft Teams, the greatest school based learning at home system.
Is this an ad or something? If not, it sure looks like it.
I hope we'll be closed down; I am currently staying at home because of the no.'s of cases, so it would be easier if everyone else did. But perchance that's selfish.
Also I feel like keeping schools open sends the wrong message to all the young adults who are going around getting it.
VCE 20
HHD MM Revs (F/R) Eng T&T
ATAR 85
Uni 21-24: BNursing/BMidwifery @ Deakin
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Listens to Amira Willighagen and Alma Deutscher and a little Marjolein Acke
~English - PM for P&P/creatives help~
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

For Narnia and for Aslan!

she/her

Basically inactive now. May change. Have a nice day.

J_Rho

• MOTM: MARCH 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +756
« Reply #229 on: July 31, 2020, 10:22:04 pm »
+6
Someone at the school my parents work at has tested positive. Time to wait for tracing to be done, fingers crossed my folks didnt get it and pass it to one of us kids and we took it to our school  :-\ but that's worst case scenario but you never know!
— VCE —
English 30, Further Maths 33, Biology 33, Legal Studies 27, Psychology 32

— University —
Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash
Bachelor of Counselling & Psychological Science @ ACAP

Lear

• MOTM: JUL 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +328
« Reply #230 on: August 02, 2020, 02:48:32 pm »
+5
All schools across Victoria to be closed except to essential worker children among other restrictions. Everyone else on remote learning, including year 11 and 12.
2018: ATAR: 99.35
Subjects
English: 44
Methods: 43
Further Maths: 50
Chemistry: 46
Legal: 40
2019: Bachelor of Medical Science and Doctor of Medicine @ Monash

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #231 on: August 02, 2020, 02:52:09 pm »
+7
Just wanted to come and say that AN is here for you all and we'll do our best to support you and help you with your education during these tough times! <3

ArtyDreams

• MOTM: Jan 20
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Fly against the wind. Not with it.
  • Respect: +599
« Reply #232 on: August 02, 2020, 02:55:54 pm »
+2
And we're backkkkkk. Mixed feelings about this - but I definetely think it was the best way to go.
I really don't wan to do online SACs again though - would hate for them all to be pushed back.
Feeling a bit anxious at the moment too :(
What a Year 12.

Just wanted to come and say that AN is here for you all and we'll do our best to support you and help you with your education during these tough times! <3

So appreciative for everyone here <3
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 03:52:54 pm by ArtyDreams »

• MOTM: July 20
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +158
« Reply #233 on: August 02, 2020, 03:01:26 pm »
+17
Victoria Update
- We have 6,322 active cases, 385 Victorians are in hospital, 38 of those are receiving intensive care. In terms of health workers, there
  are some 649 active cases.
- 671 new COVID-19 cases, 7 deaths for Victoria

Curfew for Melbourne from 8pm - 5am starts tonight.
- This state of disaster is from 6:00pm tonight
- Stage 4 restrictions announced
- Only allowed to leave home within a 5km radius.
- Recreational activity is no longer allowed, 1 hour of exercise only.
- Only allowed to be groups of 2 regardless if it is your family.
- Only one person will be able to go shopping once per day and they will need to secure the goods and services that are what
   you need within a 5km radius.
- All students returning to homeschooling after the originally scheduled August 19th return to normal school.
- Special schools will remain open for those who really need to be in those settings. And the children, the students of parents who
  are working, they will be able to go to school and be supervised but it will really only be those that are absolutely necessary to do
  so.
- What that means for metropolitan Melbourne the Year 11 and 12s will go back to working from home.

Regional Melbourne is being moved into Stage 3 restrictions from midnight on Wednesday:
- Regional Victoria, from midnight next Wednesday, regional Victoria will move to stage three restrictions. That’s stay at home, except for the four reasons to leaving. That will mean restaurants, cafes, bars, gyms, a whole range of other settings will need to close from midnight next Wednesday
-" In regional Victoria, they will move to remote and flexible learning for all students but there will be I think larger numbers of student that are allowed to be at school because their parents are working."
- Tomorrow, the premier will have more to say about different industries and there will be three categories of industries.
Other things to be clarified:
-Intimate partner visits will be allowed outside of the 5km radius of your home.

Weddings will be banned from Thursday.

Funerals are allowed but 10 mourners only can leave Melbourne to attend one in regional Victoria.

There will be restricted overnight train services.

- These restrictions are proposed to last for 6 weeks. From 6:00pm tonight, others from midnight Wednesday. They will run out until September 13.

- Tomorrow’s a normal day of school. Tuesday will be a pupil free day across the board. And we will then move to flexible and
  remote learning for all students come Wednesday.

Any thoughts on this?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 03:26:20 pm by 1729 »

Duck Tails

• Trailblazer
  • she/her
  • Respect: +40
« Reply #234 on: August 02, 2020, 03:15:44 pm »
+12
Absolutely gutted, but if it's what we need to do to save people's lives, then so be it.

I personally didn't fare too well last time with remote learning, mainly due to all the distractions and lack of structure at home. I think I'm pretty lucky both my parents are essential workers so I'll probably go to school this time around (of course sticking within social distancing rules and wearing a mask). I'd hate to be in year 12 right now - you guys are troopers.

Real excited to hear what all the nuffies think about this; take a shot every time you hear the phrase "Commie/Dictator Dan".
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 03:18:54 pm by Duck Tails »
KLD Class of 2022
VCE 2021: Biology [41], Religion and Society [34]
2022: Chemistry, Methods, Revolutions, English Language

Failingvce

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +14
« Reply #235 on: August 02, 2020, 03:28:06 pm »
+5
I'm so scared to do SACS online. and them pushing the GAT is just making everything worse because we have potential SACS and exam prep on top of all this in term 4 :(
2020 subjects:
3/4 English - 3/4 Methods- 3/4 chemistry- 3/4 Biology- 3/4 psychology

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #236 on: August 02, 2020, 03:29:37 pm »
+5
-snip-
Post this on the other COVID-19 thread

trying to keep this on education

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +916
« Reply #237 on: August 02, 2020, 03:35:00 pm »
+16
Any thoughts on this?
I feel stressed. Feel like saying goodbye to my ATAR lol. I absolutely hate remote learning because I don't learn at all, but I hope that as a result of these restrictions community transmission/spread of the virus can be minimised as much as possible. I mean, at least we don't need to wear masks for 5-6 hours a day anymore since we'll be stuck at home? Haha. It really wasn't a matter of if we would have stage 4 restrictions, it was a matter of when, and at least they're doing it now rather than later. I'm not really fussed about the curfew/exercise/travel restrictions because me/my family were already subconsciously following those, but I wonder what it'll be like if you live in a suburb where some essentials are over 5km away (if they exist?).

I can only imagine what small businesses and the like would be going through - my thoughts go out to them. I feel horrible 'complaining' about the situation since many have it way, way worse than me, but the fact is that remote learning sucks for me and I have no idea how I'm going to keep on top of everything. I'm just expressing my personal concerns, they're very minor in the grand scheme of things because being in year 12 isn't of significance compared to what everyone else in the state/country/world is going through. Pretty much my only concern is from my standpoint as a year 12 as I worry about the future/getting into uni/how the hell will I ever be able to get a decent ATAR anymore. Especially the whole thing with online SACs - doing validation tasks back at school for them is stressful too and it's almost impossible to monitor things like cheating. Also worried they will push SACs back, making them closer to exam time.

Overall I'm glad they imposed the restrictions. Can't help feeling stressed though.
psych [50] bio [50]
2021-2025: BMedSci/MD @ Monash

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
« Reply #238 on: August 02, 2020, 03:41:40 pm »
+10
Waiting for confirmation that I'm needing to shut everything 100% down at uni again (I'm hoping I have some leeway with the vaccine researchers in my group being able to keep things alive rn). It will be an anxious 24-48h before MIPS will provide info as to their next steps. I just hope they give me the extension I'd need because there's no way I can finish before November now- I legitimately have nothing to do but finish writing the thesis intro during these 6 weeks because of ordering/supply issues delaying any proper results being recorded D:

At least we can save lives though- that's important :)
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

Failingvce

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +14
« Reply #239 on: August 02, 2020, 03:48:06 pm »
+5
I feel stressed. Feel like saying goodbye to my ATAR lol. I absolutely hate remote learning because I don't learn at all, but I hope that as a result of these restrictions community transmission/spread of the virus can be minimised as much as possible. I mean, at least we don't need to wear masks for 5-6 hours a day anymore since we'll be stuck at home? Haha. It really wasn't a matter of if we would have stage 4 restrictions, it was a matter of when, and at least they're doing it now rather than later. I'm not really fussed about the curfew/exercise/travel restrictions because me/my family were already subconsciously following those, but I wonder what it'll be like if you live in a suburb where some essentials are over 5km away (if they exist?).

I can only imagine what small businesses and the like would be going through - my thoughts go out to them. I feel horrible 'complaining' about the situation since many have it way, way worse than me, but the fact is that remote learning sucks for me and I have no idea how I'm going to keep on top of everything. I'm just expressing my personal concerns, they're very minor in the grand scheme of things because being in year 12 isn't of significance compared to what everyone else in the state/country/world is going through. Pretty much my only concern is from my standpoint as a year 12 as I worry about the future/getting into uni/how the hell will I ever be able to get a decent ATAR anymore. Especially the whole thing with online SACs - doing validation tasks back at school for them is stressful too and it's almost impossible to monitor things like cheating. Also worried they will push SACs back, making them closer to exam time.

Overall I'm glad they imposed the restrictions. Can't help feeling stressed though.

I agree! that is my biggest concern because my experience with online SACS last time was NOT GOOD at all. And I totally relate to not being able to learn efficiently during remote learning because it's just so difficult to separate the home environment from a learning one.
2020 subjects:
3/4 English - 3/4 Methods- 3/4 chemistry- 3/4 Biology- 3/4 psychology