Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 07:07:06 pm

Author Topic: Which Calculator Should I Use?  (Read 1207 times)  Share 

JamieLeaf

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Which Calculator Should I Use?
« on: May 02, 2019, 07:40:53 pm »
+2
Hi Guys,
My school recommends that students use the casio class pad (white) calculator and most of the students use this calculator. However, an increasing number of students in the school are beginning to switch to the the ti inspire (black) calculator and many have said that the ti inspire is far better than the casio as it is faster and more user friendly although it doesn't have touch screen. At the moment, I'm in year 12 and about to complete some sacs for methods and spesh. Additionally, I'm quite proficient with the casio class pad but I don't want to be in a potentially unfavorable position when compared to the students who use the ti inspire. Could any past/current students give me some recommendations on whether I should make the switch to the ti inspire? Thanks!!

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
Re: Which Calculator Should I Use?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2019, 09:07:22 pm »
In my opinion, I'd stick with the calculator you're most comfortable in using for the upcoming SACs, as you know where all the functions and buttons are on the calculator. After that, perhaps trial some questions/past using the other calculator (borrowing one is probably a good idea- TI's are $200+, last I checked) if you're still convinced that the other calc is better :)

(Unrelated-but-related side story: I borrowed someone else's scientific calculator the other day and it took me way too long to find the button I wanted (it was hard to find and idk why haha) and it stressed me out whilst doing a quiz :) )
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 09:12:39 pm by insanipi »
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

Eucalypt

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2019, 05:21:33 pm »
+1
Hey JamieLeaf,

I've always used the classpad, and haven't found any major disadvantages in doing so. The calculators are only minorly different, and there are advantages and disadvantages to both. Once you feel comfortable with one, it's going to be difficult to switch, and I'm guessing your teachers will only be showing you how to use the classpad, so you'd have to figure out the TI-nspire yourself.

My advice would be to stick with the calculator you have, at the end of the day, it will be your hard work and study that get you the good marks, not your calculator  :)

Best of luck!

Springyboy

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +66
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2019, 05:30:02 pm »
Hi Guys,
My school recommends that students use the casio class pad (white) calculator and most of the students use this calculator. However, an increasing number of students in the school are beginning to switch to the the ti inspire (black) calculator and many have said that the ti inspire is far better than the casio as it is faster and more user friendly although it doesn't have touch screen. At the moment, I'm in year 12 and about to complete some sacs for methods and spesh. Additionally, I'm quite proficient with the casio class pad but I don't want to be in a potentially unfavorable position when compared to the students who use the ti inspire. Could any past/current students give me some recommendations on whether I should make the switch to the ti inspire? Thanks!!

I used the Ti CX CAS in Yr 10-12 and found it pretty smooth. Only time it screwed up was when I dropped it and had to get it replaced. Would definitely recommend sticking with what you're comfortable with though, no point in changing CAS calcs especially. Tbh, the calc is only really helpful for speeding up the time it takes in Further, and since you're doing Methods and Spesh then any CAS calc will do. There's also a guide here about which calculator to choose. Don't stress about it, no exam favours any calculator.

dashnog

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2019, 12:09:47 am »
Use Mathematica instead.
Bachelor of Biomedical Science (Scholar's Program) at Monash (2021-2023)

ATAR: 94.XX
2019: VCE Biology & VCE Psychology
2020: VCE Extended Investigation, Chemistry, Music Performance, Methods, Literature