Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 03:11:16 am

Author Topic: How to improve clarity?  (Read 435 times)  Share 

The Cat In The Hat

• MOTM: NOV 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Do all to the glory of God. - 1 Corinthians 10:31
  • Respect: +344
How to improve clarity?
« on: October 12, 2020, 07:27:10 am »
So I got this feedback on my English trial exam: 'Work on clarity because your essays are excellent'. I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on how to thus 'work on clarity'. What can I do to improve it? Will improving that pick my scores up from the 17-18/20 band to maybe 18-20/20? What else can I do for that?
Thanks!
VCE 20
HHD MM Revs (F/R) Eng T&T
ATAR 85
Uni 21-24: BNursing/BMidwifery @ Deakin
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Listens to Amira Willighagen and Alma Deutscher and a little Marjolein Acke
~English - PM for P&P/creatives help~
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

For Narnia and for Aslan!

she/her

Basically inactive now. May change. Have a nice day.

Coolgalbornin03Lo

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +132
Re: How to improve clarity?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2020, 08:18:40 am »
+4
I know this probably isn’t much help but my teacher said to me my ideas were great also but clarity. It could be:

1. Innapropriatley long senteces which run away from you. Maybe try colons?

2. You aren’t writing down the whole idea- this isn’t to say use thousands of words but maybe you aren’t explaining what you mean in full due to being under time constraints so the meaning is lost. With this maybe just sub-vocally proofread and see whether certain words or even the whole concept you were trying to write about has gotten through.

3. This one was mine but maybe the author and the characters were getting mixed up. I doubt you made this mistake but I’ll just put it here in case someone reads it: always use the authors last name or “playrights” (if your doing a play obviously). If you say “they did this to xyz” or use it her pronoun after giving evidence involving characters it could get confusing.

I know what I said above most likely doesn’t apply to you because your getting 8-9/10 already but I hope it helped a little- your always so helpful on my posts  :D :D
My avatar sums up life.
“I’m free to be the greatest one alive” ~ Sia
╔══════════════════════════════╗
2020: English | Methods | Biology | Chemistry |              Psychology | ATAR: 0
╚══════════════════════════════╝

The Cat In The Hat

• MOTM: NOV 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Do all to the glory of God. - 1 Corinthians 10:31
  • Respect: +344
Re: How to improve clarity?
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2020, 09:11:35 am »
I know this probably isn’t much help but my teacher said to me my ideas were great also but clarity. It could be:

1. Innapropriatley long senteces which run away from you. Maybe try colons?

2. You aren’t writing down the whole idea- this isn’t to say use thousands of words but maybe you aren’t explaining what you mean in full due to being under time constraints so the meaning is lost. With this maybe just sub-vocally proofread and see whether certain words or even the whole concept you were trying to write about has gotten through.

3. This one was mine but maybe the author and the characters were getting mixed up. I doubt you made this mistake but I’ll just put it here in case someone reads it: always use the authors last name or “playrights” (if your doing a play obviously). If you say “they did this to xyz” or use it her pronoun after giving evidence involving characters it could get confusing.

I know what I said above most likely doesn’t apply to you because your getting 8-9/10 already but I hope it helped a little- your always so helpful on my posts  :D :D
Thanks, this is really useful! :)
VCE 20
HHD MM Revs (F/R) Eng T&T
ATAR 85
Uni 21-24: BNursing/BMidwifery @ Deakin
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Listens to Amira Willighagen and Alma Deutscher and a little Marjolein Acke
~English - PM for P&P/creatives help~
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

For Narnia and for Aslan!

she/her

Basically inactive now. May change. Have a nice day.