Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 07:58:25 am

Author Topic: Is the contention our own or the authors?  (Read 401 times)  Share 

Coolgalbornin03Lo

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +132
Is the contention our own or the authors?
« on: October 11, 2020, 02:37:51 pm »
I thought it was ours before the beginning of this year but then this year my teacher said it’s the authors contention.

A VCAA examiner just said that it’s the authors contention not our own! I’m panicking I’ve been doing this wrong the whole time. And apparently for comparative there is only one contention!

an example of my intro/contention
Every event which occurs in the present day is the consequence of a series of events which preceded it. Despite this people have the power to alter how much these prior events affect the countless days after. Fred D’Arguiar’s novel The Longest Memory in set in Virginia in the 1800s portrays the inhumane system of slavery from several points of view. Likewise Wesley Enoch and Deborah Mailmans play The 7 Stages of Grieving depicts the lives of Aboriginals still affected long after the mistreatment of their people. Both texts explore the effect these prior traumatic events have on the present and future societies but differ in that D'Aguiar contends that complacency heavily affects the extent to which the pasts of the enslaved affects the present of the freed, while Enoch and Mailman suggest the that unity in fighting for change can ensure there is no repeat of the past, in which Aboriginals were unjustly robbed of their land. Ultimately both texts serve to illustrate the effect of the past on the future arguing it is solely dependent on how societies choose to act to deliver a change.

My contention is in pink?
My avatar sums up life.
“I’m free to be the greatest one alive” ~ Sia
╔══════════════════════════════╗
2020: English | Methods | Biology | Chemistry |              Psychology | ATAR: 0
╚══════════════════════════════╝

The Cat In The Hat

• MOTM: NOV 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Do all to the glory of God. - 1 Corinthians 10:31
  • Respect: +344
Re: Is the contention our own or the authors?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2020, 02:58:00 pm »
+6
I thought it was ours before the beginning of this year but then this year my teacher said it’s the authors contention.

A VCAA examiner just said that it’s the authors contention not our own! I’m panicking I’ve been doing this wrong the whole time. And apparently for comparative there is only one contention!

an example of my intro/contention
Every event which occurs in the present day is the consequence of a series of events which preceded it. Despite this people have the power to alter how much these prior events affect the countless days after. Fred D’Arguiar’s novel The Longest Memory in set in Virginia in the 1800s portrays the inhumane system of slavery from several points of view. Likewise Wesley Enoch and Deborah Mailmans play The 7 Stages of Grieving depicts the lives of Aboriginals still affected long after the mistreatment of their people. Both texts explore the effect these prior traumatic events have on the present and future societies but differ in that D'Aguiar contends that complacency heavily affects the extent to which the pasts of the enslaved affects the present of the freed, while Enoch and Mailman suggest the that unity in fighting for change can ensure there is no repeat of the past, in which Aboriginals were unjustly robbed of their land. Ultimately both texts serve to illustrate the effect of the past on the future arguing it is solely dependent on how societies choose to act to deliver a change.

My contention is in pink?
What you have looks good I think? Not very sure what you mean by ours or the author's, though.
VCE 20
HHD MM Revs (F/R) Eng T&T
ATAR 85
Uni 21-24: BNursing/BMidwifery @ Deakin
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Listens to Amira Willighagen and Alma Deutscher and a little Marjolein Acke
~English - PM for P&P/creatives help~
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

For Narnia and for Aslan!

she/her

Basically inactive now. May change. Have a nice day.

tiredandstressed

• MOTM: DEC 20
  • Forum Obsessive
  • pretty without the r (he/him)
  • Respect: +167
Re: Is the contention our own or the authors?
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2020, 03:05:08 pm »
+5
It's your contention of what you believe the AUTHOR is trying to say.
I hope that makes sense, in your essay it should be your opinion of the author's views and values.
Personally, I think your sample intro was great!
VCE '17-'18
2017: Biology, Psychology
2018: English, HHD, Chemistry, Methods
2019-22: Bachelor of Biomedicine (Honours) @ UoM
My guides:
A quick guide to language and argument analysis
HHD sample questions
HHD 2019 Comprehensive examiner report analysis