Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 25, 2024, 08:34:43 am

Author Topic: Easy Text To Prepare Paragraphs For (section A)  (Read 1100 times)  Share 

TheEagle

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +12
Easy Text To Prepare Paragraphs For (section A)
« on: October 08, 2020, 07:42:54 pm »
+1
Hey everyone

I will be sitting the English exam next month and want to change my text response text. I don't really like Rear Window since there is so many themes and prompts to prepare for. I am looking to read another text that is easier to pre prepared responses to. In terms of section B and C, I am more comfortable since they're easy to prepare for [7 SOG and Longest Memory].

I am aware schools have their own chosen texts and would really appreciate it if someone could recommend a preferably short text to study during the course of this month and is an easy text to prepare/memorise paragraphs for.

On top of that, I am also aware that Rear Window is a popular text and is therefore much more competitive to score high in compared to other texts.

Thank you!

The Cat In The Hat

• MOTM: NOV 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Do all to the glory of God. - 1 Corinthians 10:31
  • Respect: +344
Re: Easy Text To Prepare Paragraphs For (section A)
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2020, 08:59:36 pm »
+1
Hey everyone

I will be sitting the English exam next month and want to change my text response text. I don't really like Rear Window since there is so many themes and prompts to prepare for. I am looking to read another text that is easier to pre prepared responses to. In terms of section B and C, I am more comfortable since they're easy to prepare for [7 SOG and Longest Memory].

I am aware schools have their own chosen texts and would really appreciate it if someone could recommend a preferably short text to study during the course of this month and is an easy text to prepare/memorise paragraphs for.

On top of that, I am also aware that Rear Window is a popular text and is therefore much more competitive to score high in compared to other texts.

Thank you!
I personally find Pride and Prejudice quite easy to prepare for and remember quotes from, but that may just be me.
Also, 'Old/New World' (selected poems, Peter Skryznecki) really stuck in my head and has good interpretations you can make from them. Personally I didn't like it much, but I didn't prepare much for the SAC and yet somehow got a decent mark as the quotes stuck in my head. That isn't too many poems that you need, either. So I dunno but I'd advise 'Old/New World', probably. (Very strange because I didn't like doing it myself!)
VCE 20
HHD MM Revs (F/R) Eng T&T
ATAR 85
Uni 21-24: BNursing/BMidwifery @ Deakin
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Listens to Amira Willighagen and Alma Deutscher and a little Marjolein Acke
~English - PM for P&P/creatives help~
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

For Narnia and for Aslan!

she/her

Basically inactive now. May change. Have a nice day.

TheEagle

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2020, 09:09:51 pm »
I personally find Pride and Prejudice quite easy to prepare for and remember quotes from, but that may just be me.
Also, 'Old/New World' (selected poems, Peter Skryznecki) really stuck in my head and has good interpretations you can make from them. Personally I didn't like it much, but I didn't prepare much for the SAC and yet somehow got a decent mark as the quotes stuck in my head. That isn't too many poems that you need, either. So I dunno but I'd advise 'Old/New World', probably. (Very strange because I didn't like doing it myself!)

Thank you!
Is pride and prejudice new? I don't seem to see it on the text list from 2019. Is it relatively easy to prepare responses for pride and prejudice and the poems (is there a lot of themes to remember)?
In terms of the poems, I realise that the average is very high from 2019, is there a particular reason behind this?

The Cat In The Hat

• MOTM: NOV 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Do all to the glory of God. - 1 Corinthians 10:31
  • Respect: +344
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2020, 09:39:03 pm »
+1

Thank you!
Is pride and prejudice new? I don't seem to see it on the text list from 2019. Is it relatively easy to prepare responses for pride and prejudice and the poems (is there a lot of themes to remember)?
In terms of the poems, I realise that the average is very high from 2019, is there a particular reason behind this?
Yep, this is P&P's first year on the book list :D (I was so glad it was on there) I don't know why the average is very high, but possibly because it is something that (according to my teacher at least) is easier to do because you can just be told all the analysis and it's much clearer than a lot of things, so maths-science types seem more likely to use it. I don't know why.
I don't know if there's a lot of themes to remember for either of them; I don't really think about it, I just write, I dunno, sorry.
VCE 20
HHD MM Revs (F/R) Eng T&T
ATAR 85
Uni 21-24: BNursing/BMidwifery @ Deakin
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Listens to Amira Willighagen and Alma Deutscher and a little Marjolein Acke
~English - PM for P&P/creatives help~
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

For Narnia and for Aslan!

she/her

Basically inactive now. May change. Have a nice day.

Annon4589

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2020, 09:42:08 pm »
+1
I'm doing Extinction (a play), and it is roughly 70 pages so extremely easy and quick to read. While i personally do not find the majority of concepts engaging (looking into pragmatism v idealism is good), it is bearable as the quotes are easy to remember (the characters do not say long sentences and there are only 4 of them!) and since it is so short it makes for an easier time for pre-prepared responses as you often draw textual evidence from most, if not all the scenes. With your comparative texts are they any good (I am thinking of risking it like you, but doing a switch in that section)?

TheEagle

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2020, 09:49:45 pm »
I'm doing Extinction (a play), and it is roughly 70 pages so extremely easy and quick to read. While i personally do not find the majority of concepts engaging (looking into pragmatism v idealism is good), it is bearable as the quotes are easy to remember (the characters do not say long sentences and there are only 4 of them!) and since it is so short it makes for an easier time for pre-prepared responses as you often draw textual evidence from most, if not all the scenes. With your comparative texts are they any good (I am thinking of risking it like you, but doing a switch in that section)?

Thank you! 

My comparative is 7 Stages of Grieving and The Longest Memory (both very short). Both combined are 200 pages.

Not many themes to remember either. Mainly, racism, memory, education and obedience, which most of them are linked together.

Annon4589

• Adventurer
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2020, 09:55:43 pm »
Thank you! 

My comparative is 7 Stages of Grieving and The Longest Memory (both very short). Both combined are 200 pages.

Not many themes to remember either. Mainly, racism, memory, education and obedience, which most of them are linked together.

Thanks!

It is a difficult changing as it could pay off or go terribly wrong - just be cautious!

TheEagle

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2020, 10:01:50 pm »
Thanks!

It is a difficult changing as it could pay off or go terribly wrong - just be cautious!

I would say given there is two texts to read + analyse without rushing, I would keep the current pair

Annon4589

• Adventurer
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2020, 10:09:30 pm »
+1
Yeah i think i will just tough it out, will be the greatest day of my life when that english exam is over!

Amnilauv

• Trailblazer
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2020, 10:49:11 pm »
+1
I was in the same position as you. I did 'The Golden Age' and 'Extinction' last year. I put all my energy into studying Extinction, but I honestly couldn't bare it and decided to switch to TGA 6 days before the final exam (lol). Extinction was emphasised to be studied for the text response (it was for our SAC 1) and TGA was only for our creative SAC.

Honestly, I didn't even read the book for TGA at all and just read the synopsis online + learnt the themes of it, and it worked wonders because the essay prompts weren't too difficult (suss out the 2018 and 2019's prompts, they are definitely not rigorous). What made this book quite easy to analyse was because it was (relatively) relatable, so it's quite easy to draw up something, if that makes sense.

Nothing wrong with Extinction at all, but I personally hated it and found it so mind-numbing hahaha. It's up to you though.

ETA: didn't read properly that you wanted a short text, so in that case Extinction is probably a good option (as mentioned before, it is a short play). For TGA tho I still believe it's an easy text to analyse and draw stories from (I also memorised my intro and a few paragraphs and it still flowed LOL) , but if you don't want to cut corners then extinction is good
« Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 10:59:53 pm by Amnilauv »