Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 05:42:02 am

Author Topic: Building a resilient headspace!  (Read 21671 times)

JR_StudyEd

• MOTM: MAY 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
  • Respect: +171
Building a resilient headspace!
« on: December 22, 2018, 03:54:05 pm »
+17
Hi guys,
Ignore my username, just call me John. I would like to start by saying that reading other VCE journals was quite a moving experience. The commitment of this community is quite unreal. I wholeheartedly hope that whoever reads my journal will acquire invaluable insight into Year 12!! And for those slightly older, I hope this gives you a little bit of nostalgia for Year 12 again! I also want to have an accountability of sorts, i.e. documenting my experiences so I can learn from mistakes that I will inevitably commit.

More about me:
Spoiler
I live in the western suburbs (so yeah). I like to play the piano (although currently not at a high level). I'm also interested in public speaking, and attempted to run for school captain, but failed.

The subjects I am studying for Year 12 are:

English
Biology (only in Bio because of insufficient numbers in Geography)
Chemistry
Health and Human Development
Maths Methods

This year, I studied Psychology 3/4 and I loved (most of) it!

Future??
Spoiler
I feel like this is a very common theme throughout this forum, but I would like study medicine. At this point, becoming a psychiatrist is my eventual goal. In terms of undergrad, just any science-y course that has a Psych major would do for me.

Enjoy, and strap yourselves in!

« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 09:04:30 pm by JR_StudyEd »
Listens to K-Pop (Twice, Red Velvet, MAMAMOO) and Christmas music all year round.

Poet

• MOTM: JUN 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
  • Respect: +2790
Re: Finding my unique gift, Riding the Year 12 Rollercoaster (John in VCE)
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2018, 04:26:18 pm »
+9
Hey John, this looks great! Keen to see your development throughout the year, and hopefully this journal will give you the insight and/or motivation you need. :)
Thoughts are only thoughts.
They are not you. You do belong to yourself,
even when your thoughts don't.

Dealing with Year 12 - Put Your Mental Health at the Forefront
A Little Guide to Healthy Eating

sarangiya

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • 好きこそものの上手なれ ☆ What one likes, one will do well
  • Respect: +383
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2018, 03:23:47 pm »
+5
Hi John!
Can't wait to read your journal. I love the idea of finding your unique gift. I'm excited to find out what it is for myself, and for you!

I'm glad you enjoyed (most of) psychology. What parts didn't you enjoy? What would your dream curriculum be?

Have a Merry Christmas and hope to see an update soon :)
Sometimes you make choices, and sometimes choices make you.

♡ Subjects ♡
2015: Japanese SL [42]
2016: Psychology [43] Philosophy [36] Japanese SL [50] [Premier's Award]
2017: UMEP Further Advanced Japanese [4.5]
2018: Methods [24] English Language [41] Chemistry [31] Psychology [41] Cert III in Allied Health Assistance [4.3]
ATAR: 97.45
2019-2024: Bachelor of Medical Science/Doctor of Medicine @ UNSW

Sarangiya's 사랑하는 VCE Journal
Is Repeating a VCE Subject Worth It?

JR_StudyEd

• Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2018, 02:37:44 pm »
+8
Hi everyone,
I hope that you are all enjoying your break, you all deserve it. TBH I am just chilling out and biding my time, so to speak, until the new year hits. I've always had the attitude that if I complete tasks earlier, the better, however, with around 5 weeks until Term 1 kicks off (What even is time anymore???), I reckon I can make an exception.  8)  I've really tried to take my mind off a rather busy year of studying and make the most of my break.

I really miss Psych. (What a nerd) Study score was a bit on the average side 33 raw if you're wondering, however I was a lot more happier with how much I had learnt and applied throughout the year. For anyone reading this who wants to do Psych, what I can say in terms of the difficulty is that it's just sheer weight of content that will take up much of your time and effort.

Consciousness and Research Methods though...

Jokes aside, both were just very technical and slightly harder to get my head around.  ;)

See you next year, I guess! 
Listens to K-Pop (Twice, Red Velvet, MAMAMOO) and Christmas music all year round.

Macrophagee

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2018, 03:24:55 pm »
+2
Hey
I'm also in year 12 next year!
Congrats on completing one VCE subject! Use this experience to help you improve in your remaining subjects.
I understand how you feel about psych as I feel the same way about bio lol. I'm gonna miss it next year haha 

JR_StudyEd

• Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2019, 11:23:37 pm »
+7
So, less than 3 weeks to go until the party kicks off! YAAAYYYY

In an attempt to scrounge some motivation for me to do decently this year, I've done quite extensive research into courses, particularly Science (read the OP for context). Personally, I don't know if it's too early to start thinking of 2020 and beyond now, but I don't want to be scrambling around by Aug/Sept, rushing to choose preferences and go to Open Days. If anything, thinking of the future will likely motivate me to get good results anyway. In reality, anything from VET/TAFE to a gap year where I do nothing is still on the table. Conversely, I want to genuinely enjoy the mere months of formal education I have left and savour the moment, y'know?

P.S I would list the Pros and Cons I have at the moment but I feel they will be too subjective and Oh, fine. *Will still be subjective though

For future reference for the forum lurkers and those who can't be stuffed digging the online equivalent of 50 feet down for gold in order to find it:

UniMelb Pros
Spoiler
- Closer than Monash
- More course flexibility
- Has more varied clubs and societies
- Rich history including buildings

UniMelb Cons
Spoiler
- Entry requirements are more difficult
- Lower student satisfaction (according to QILT)

Monash Pros
Spoiler
- Easier to get into than Science @ Melb
- Higher student satisfaction (not sure if legit tho)

Monash Cons
Spoiler
- Further away than UniMelb, less accessible than Melb as well
-  Less variety in clubs and societies
- Less course flexibility (that I know of)
- Less appealing spaces (Though I will admit that Robert Menzies buliding is something else)

I want to find a way to get to both of these campuses before the inevitable rush of crowds on Open Day, as I feel that the respective Unis will give off a more genuine, pure vibe.

Anyone with more than half a brain, feel free to correct me!

Tl;dr
Science @ UniMelb or Science @ Monash???

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2019, 03:10:31 pm »
+6
I'm just going to edit this quote for you. Bold words are my additions and strikethrough words are corrections. There's more than this, but I decided to keep the list short and as minimally subjective as I could.
For future reference for the forum lurkers and those who can't be stuffed digging the online equivalent of 50 feet down for gold in order to find it:

UniMelb Pros
Spoiler
- Closer than Monash
- More course flexibility and Melbourne Model - You can also argue against course flexibility for UniMelb. Their compulsory breadth units (subjects) must be outside of faculty and mean it's also rather restrictive in that ~18 of 24 units will be science, compared to Monash where all 24 units could be science if one so wished (and as low as 16 units). Apart from the Melbourne Model, the course flexibility only really means that there's no compulsory units.
- Has more varied clubs and societies - They have approximately the same range, just that UniMelb has more clubs. You can also open your own if you so wish at both unis.
- Rich history including buildings

UniMelb Cons
Spoiler
- Entry requirements are more difficult
- Lower student satisfaction (according to QILT)
- If you want to study med (of which psychiatry requires, IIRC) and you especially intend to study postgrad med (given that you're looking at BScis rather than undergrad med and want to study med), you will be cutting your chances at postgrad med at Monash. Postgrad med at Monash places are only offered to Monash undergrads.

Monash Pros
Spoiler
- Easier to get into than Science @ Melb
- Higher student satisfaction (not sure if legit tho)
- Postgrad med at Monash doesn't accept anyone except Monash undergrads, of which the BSci at Monash will do. Postgrad med at Melbourne also will accept Monash undergrads, as will pretty much every other uni.
- More flexible electives (i.e. they can be in science or not as you wish) and double degrees exist at Monash. If you later decide to flip to a BBiomed/BSci (for example), there will be fewer consequences e.g. financial, and time delays.

Monash Cons
Spoiler
- Further away than UniMelb, less accessible than Melb as well
- Less variety in clubs and societies - (see above)
- Less course flexibility (that I know of) - Apart from having to do at least one maths/ stats unit and a compulsory science communication unit, you're basically free to run wild with all other units, as long as you fulfil the BSci requirements. The key difference with the BSci at Melbourne and Monash is because Monash doesn't have the Melbourne Model, you can make your elective units be in the science faculty or outside the faculty as long as the faculty allows it and you can double major/ extended major pretty easily e.g. I have a BSci (extended major in genetics, minors in chemistry and Japanese).
- Less appealing spaces (Though I will admit that Robert Menzies buliding is something else)
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

sarangiya

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • 好きこそものの上手なれ ☆ What one likes, one will do well
  • Respect: +383
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2019, 07:03:04 pm »
+5
Tl;dr
Science @ UniMelb or Science @ Monash???
I think you're probably right by going to open days.
You'll probably get your answer by just walking around.
If not, I looked heavily into the handbooks for the respective unis and read about the majors and subjects, trying to judge if I would like them or not. Another great way to do this is AN's subject reviews for both Melbourne and Monash.

Best of luck!
Sometimes you make choices, and sometimes choices make you.

♡ Subjects ♡
2015: Japanese SL [42]
2016: Psychology [43] Philosophy [36] Japanese SL [50] [Premier's Award]
2017: UMEP Further Advanced Japanese [4.5]
2018: Methods [24] English Language [41] Chemistry [31] Psychology [41] Cert III in Allied Health Assistance [4.3]
ATAR: 97.45
2019-2024: Bachelor of Medical Science/Doctor of Medicine @ UNSW

Sarangiya's 사랑하는 VCE Journal
Is Repeating a VCE Subject Worth It?

JR_StudyEd

• Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2019, 04:19:29 pm »
+8
Thanks AngelWings and sarangiya for your tips!

The future beyond Year 12 can take a back seat for now, for now is probably a great time to pay closer attention to the present.

*deep breath in* (16/1/2019)
To be honest, I'm quite looking forward to going back to school. If it wasn't for the mountains of set holiday homework I still have to do, I would love to come back next week and meet some people again. #nerdalert Speaking of which, don't you hate it when you're given COMPULSORY holiday homework that triggers a detention when not completed by the first lesson back? Well, that's exactly what I have for English. It involves three tasks, Task 1 involves reading Frankenstein and writing a text response, Task 2 involves watching the film 'Rear Window' and completing a character profile (super easy) and Task 3 involves writing an Argument Analysis essay on the exact same article as the 2018 exam (Jonty Jenkins ring a bell?) I'm starting to seriously loathe it now.  >:( (I did make a thread on this in the English/EAL forum a couple of days ago, but no one seems to be responding :( )

I just need to get all this uncalled for stress and anxiety off my chest. I'm in my local library at the moment, I had a good night's sleep last night, but STILL not in the mood to smash through my set tasks for each subject much less English, especially that scourge that is the Argument Analysis (ewwww). I wouldn't classify myself as a stresshead yet, but my mum tells me otherwise.  :-\

I think about the not-too-distant future constantly (I mean, have you seen my last entry to this thread?), almost obsessively, but I have a good reason for it, I guess. Without a tangible, eventual goal to work towards, I think I would be even more lost.

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2019, 04:24:52 pm »
+5
G'day John. I don't have much to add at the moment, but just wanted to say I've enjoyed your entries so far!

Starting to think about your options early is great. It's certainly not essential (so no need to stress about it too much), but research can't hurt. :)

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2019, 04:33:25 pm »
+5
I just need to get all this uncalled for stress and anxiety off my chest. I'm in my local library at the moment, I had a good night's sleep last night, but STILL not in the mood to smash through my set tasks for each subject much less English, especially that scourge that is the Argument Analysis (ewwww). I wouldn't classify myself as a stresshead yet, but my mum tells me otherwise.  :-\
Hey there!
Take this with a grain of salt if this isn't your thing, but an idea to get through all the tasks you need to do is to try and take it a little bit at a time, instead of tackling it like a mountain.
I also know it's hard to get back into the swing of things, but definitely make sure you take breaks during completing tasks when you can- think of it like a reward for doing each little bit! :)
(this is how I tackle things coming off holiday mode aha- my parents always say that I'm a stresshead too, completely understand).

Otherwise, you've got this! Make the most of break, and intersperse it with studies. We're here to try and help motivate/encourage you when you need it!
Totally looking forward to seeing more updates! :)
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

Macrophagee

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2019, 10:30:37 pm »
Hey
I can understand what a drag holiday hw can be bc I barely started  8)

What books are you doing for English? I'm doing The Lieutenant, Frankenstein and Invictus vs Ransom

JR_StudyEd

• Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
Re: No Fear of Failure (John's VCE)
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2019, 12:14:22 pm »
+8
2/2/19 If I write 18 instead of 19 one more time...
Hi guys, how's it going?  ;D

Thought I'd chip in and give my thoughts about Day 1 of Year 12 and the month ahead. If you haven't already noticed, I've changed the thread title. I might do this occasionally throughout the year to reflect my mindset at that point in time. Not to say that I don't think Year 12 will still be a rollercoaster ride (I know it will be), however I've had a slight attitude shift. Failure is something that is going to happen to everyone time and time again, and I'm no exception. In the past, admittedly, I've been quite terrified of failure, (or like late last year in Methods, didn't care about a sub 50% score on the exam in the slightest), but this year and beyond, I will try to face failure with no fear!

Day 1 was actually alright. HHD was pretty full on but manageable, Methods was painfully beautiful (how I missed thee, Dear Mathematical Methods), and Bio was a metaphorical slap in the face (in that the workload and expectations were made very clear to me, but I reckon for the better). Honestly, I feel I'll be OK if I actually learn to implement stress coping strategies and not worry myself out too much about you know, the ATAR.

As to the future, undergrad Med @ Monash is my Plan A, but anything can happen from here. That UCAT, though.

Enjoy your weekend and your first full week of school, guys who still have to go through this! You're all awesome!

huity

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2019, 08:13:50 pm »
+3
Hey John  ;D

Super excited to read your journal and follow you across your Year 12 journey. I keep on writing 19 instead of 18 for dates too  :P

I love your refreshing approach to failure. A huge part of coping with failure in any area of life is adopting a new mindset and you've got that down pat  ;D

I'm glad you enjoyed (most of) Day 1 and it wasn't terrible! Good luck for Year 12, the UCAT and getting into Med at Monash! You've got a whole community of people cheering you on  ;D

JR_StudyEd

• Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2019, 04:49:50 pm »
+4
Hello everyone! Hope you all had a great week! Let's get to the juicy stuff I guess:

How do I feel at the end of (Full) Week 1? A mix of enthused and apathetic. Ready and not ready. Motivated and drained. I've been told that we have only 30 weeks of classes until exams. So, I only have to go through this same process 29 more times! WOOOHOOOOOOO!!!!!! After a quite an intensive week, I feel like there is so much to get off my chest.

English: Hate it. (Oh wait, vocabulary is not advanced enough?). How about loathe it, detest it, dislike it greatly, abhor it, abominate it, despise it, execrate it, feel aversion towards it, feel revulsion towards it, feel hostile towards it, be repelled by it, be revolted by it, regard with disgust, not be able to bear/stand it, be unable to stomach it and find it intolerable? Thanks Google Thesaurus. Look, to be honest, I am "good" at English, but what does being "good" at something mean when I hate it so much? *cough*Essays*cough* This week's classes have not changed my previously held perception of this subject. It's just yuck (except for Oral Presentations. Totally love that! But it ain't until Term 3 :(). Nothing against my teacher, she's great, but not the subject she teaches, unfortunately. Frankenstein doesn't really interest me, sadly, and all we've done so far is discuss selected passages. But I need a 30 in it to get into Monash Med, so....

Maths Methods: Already behind in terms of work done, but it's not like every exercise has to be done anyway, right? (RIGHT?) We did Linear Functions for the last time ever! Teacher teaches, we listen (mostly), he tells us to go home and do the work. Done. That's 3&4 Methods in a nutshell.

Biology: Sometimes I forget I even study this subject, but it exists. A lot of theory, but that's to be expected. We're doing Genetic Code (I think, I don't remember) I'm a newbie to this (having not done 1&2), but I don't feel very disadvantaged or behind. Should devote more time to it, though.

Chemistry: Our class has just begun Stoichiometry and Calculations. Sometimes I wonder if we're in Maths class.

HHD: Measuring health status. Love it. Hopefully it stays interesting.

I think that's it for now. Enjoy your weekend!