Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 01:25:15 pm

Author Topic: Textual integrity  (Read 1437 times)

emilyyyyyyy

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
Textual integrity
« on: October 14, 2019, 11:51:40 am »
Hi can someone please explain to me what textual integrity is, and do I actually need to talk about it explicitly in mod B?

oscar.salameh

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Re: Textual integrity
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2019, 01:40:35 pm »
+1
It is basically the value of the text.

What makes it special?
Why are we still studying the text today?
Is it the narrative style of the offer? The issues that are examined? Its connection to the audience?

Basically you need to analyse how the composers uses form and features to connect to his audiences in contemporary society.

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
Re: Textual integrity
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2019, 02:15:34 pm »
+1
Hi can someone please explain to me what textual integrity is, and do I actually need to talk about it explicitly in mod B?

Hey, Emily!

Just wanted to clarify that textual integrity itself is a dead term; it's strongly recommended that you don't use those exact words in the response. The reason is because a lot of students in the old syllabus fell into the trap of just saying "Therefore, the text has textual integrity" without providing strong enough links to prove that it does.

However, as Oscar's explained, we still look at the value of a text when we study it in English, making it an alive concept. I might add that textual integrity refers to the timelessness of a text and that it has enduring value which can be granted from a range of things, whether it be the construction of language forms and features, to its themes and values. At the end of the day, your aim is to illuminate to the markers how that text has literary significance that extends to us as contemporary audiences. Ways you can do this include integrating into your analysis the impact the text has on a modern audience and weaving words such as "continual relevance", "persisting influence" and "ongoing appeal" to name a few that illustrate textual integrity. A much longer response than Oscar's but one I feel that will be beneficial for future cohorts to grapple with this tricky idea  8) Hope that helps!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music