Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 06:03:41 pm

Author Topic: absolute breakdown  (Read 1061 times)  Share 

annaoh_2003

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
absolute breakdown
« on: February 05, 2021, 12:07:39 am »
+1
Hi,

So year 12 for me this year. I have a goal to get into vet med at Melbourne uni, and I’m wanting to get a graduate degree package (98.5+ ATAR required) I went in really confident, bought a ton of workbooks (Cambridge checkpoints, neap questions and exams, ATAR notes topic tests etc.) but then I spoke to a teacher who said it’s almost impossible and that I’m “behind the eight ball”. Totally crushed my confidence. I do have my supporters of course, but when a teacher doubts you it hits different, and I just want someone to believe in me. Of course, I understand how difficult it is to get such an ATAR, but now I just feel like giving up. At this point, I feel too dumb to even bother. Like I get this overwhelming anxiety when I raise my hand, and get the answer wrong. Does anyone else have that?

Any advice? Thoughts?

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Re: absolute breakdown
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2021, 12:46:39 am »
+11
Hey,

98.5+ ATAR is hard but impossible? No way. One of my science teachers said that I wouldn't be able to cope with VCE, then later I had her for one of my 3/4s and part way through the year started setting high goals for me - in the end, I got a 47 in that subject. Lots of people have  anxiety about answering questions but please don't stop because it's a great way to learn!

My first bit of advice: it's late, get some sleep if you can. After you wake up consider looking at some subject specific guides & advice :)

brothanathan

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2021, 12:52:38 am »
+5
Hi,
 I spoke to a teacher who said it’s almost impossible and that I’m “behind the eight ball”. Totally crushed my confidence. I do have my supporters of course, but when a teacher doubts you it hits different, and I just want someone to believe in me. Of course, I understand how difficult it is to get such an ATAR, but now I just feel like giving up. At this point, I feel too dumb to even bother. Like I get this overwhelming anxiety when I raise my hand, and get the answer wrong. Does anyone else have that?

You may perceive the idea of "proving someone wrong" to be cringeworthy. Yet such a cringe-worthy mantra might be exactly, what your teacher is looking for. If you care so deeply about receiving the approval of others. Listen between the lines. Is your teacher really trying to get into your head? Or are you overthinking? Or are you not thinking enough?

The reality is we can't always expect to receive someone's unwavering approval.

When chasing such goals, make sure you actively make use of those workbooks, and actively study those workbooks as well.

Just some study advice videos I've hyperlinked below, but don't just rely on the two. Or soley rely on what's introduced in those vids. Use them as a sort of basis for something greater (can help if you can't be stuffed reading so much text)

Random (when someone tells them they're a auditory* learner): "Excuses excuses, give me a break etc."

Also Random (when your end-product differs from their initial perception of you): "Things really can change in a heartbeat can't they. I didn't mean* that... what I really meant.... etc."

Wish I could think* like this earlier

The excel table thing is a great example of maximising your potential

The workbooks that you have bought are undoubtedly, very solid resources. To think that there are economically disadvantaged students who have access to zilch, is humbling yet disheartening.

You have every opportunity in the world, to turn this around.

If no one has said this to you already, We (the AN Community) unwavering-ly believe in you. So should you  ;)

« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 01:29:56 am by brothanathan »

annaoh_2003

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2021, 10:44:19 am »
+2

Wish I could think* like this earlier

If no one has said this to you already, We (the AN Community) unwavering-ly believe in you. So should you  ;)

Thanks for the support. I have used my holidays to get a headstart in my work plus I've done a lot of looking into active recall and spaced repetition. I actually have seen that "absorb the textbook" video and have it noted down  ;D
Hey,

98.5+ ATAR is hard but impossible? No way. One of my science teachers said that I wouldn't be able to cope with VCE, then later I had her for one of my 3/4s and part way through the year started setting high goals for me - in the end, I got a 47 in that subject. Lots of people have  anxiety about answering questions but please don't stop because it's a great way to learn!

My first bit of advice: it's late, get some sleep if you can. After you wake up consider looking at some subject specific guides & advice :)

I have spent soooo much time looking at subject specific guides - I've got all the atarnotes study guides plus I've read loads of posts on "how I got a 50 in bio," "how I got a raw 50 in psychology," etc.

So nice that the AN community is so supportive :)

brothanathan

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2021, 03:58:18 pm »
+3
s plus I've read loads of posts on "how I got a 50 in bio," "how I got a raw 50 in psychology," etc.

So nice that the AN community is so supportive :)

To read it all is just 2% of what you need to do. To put those tips in action and adjust them as you go is the 98% you still have to do.

Peace