Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 02:58:35 pm

Author Topic: Is the school right for locking me out of a subject selection?  (Read 1046 times)  Share 

Jordy33

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Is the school right for locking me out of a subject selection?
« on: January 30, 2021, 10:43:22 pm »
Is my school right for locking me out of starting 1/2?

Tbh I didn’t try hard in Year 10 Adv. (aka no study) and missed the required grade for entry by ~30%. Can vcaa policy allow the school to not let me study the subject? School goes back very soon so maybe it’s too late??

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
Re: Is the school right for locking me out of a subject selection?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2021, 10:46:47 pm »
+6
Technically, no. They can strongly recommend but that's the most they can do.
There's usually at least one person at your school that knows VCAA policy extremely well - might be called a VCE Coordinator or equivalent. I'd definitely be starting there. I think you have left it late though, honestly. You would've known about your subject selections for a while now.

Reasonable justifications for rejecting enrolment focus around timetable, staffing and class sizes. Examples:
- Unable to find a qualified teacher to take the subject.
- Not enough students for subject to run.
- If it doesn't fit in your timetable with your other subject choices.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 10:51:43 pm by Aaron »
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

Jordy33

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2021, 10:50:45 pm »
So I could tell the school that not letting me do the subject is against rules and that I have a right to do the subject? They only stop people from doing the subject due to ‘academic risk’, yet I didn’t put efforts into my year 10 studies, so I have a right for it to be my decision to take the potential risks?

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2021, 10:53:57 pm »
+7
My recommendation would be to go and speak to somebody at your school who coordinates the VCE program. Or your year level coordinator... not sure what they call it at your school but it's a good place to start.

I would also frame your discussion positively and not go in there guns blazing with 'i have a right to do it, you're in breach of VCAA rules' approach. I'd ask again the reason for not allowing you to enrol in it and then perhaps get your parents to contact the school.

If you can convince them why you think doing that subject is important to your future aspirations, you're more likely to succeed in the change.

I get their concern to be honest and perhaps they are trying to warn you off doing the subject for your own good. But in the end, as long as its running at your school, it can fit in your timetable or accommodations can be made so that it fits, and your enrolment wouldn't breach any VCAA guidelines, a recommendation is as far as a school can go.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 10:58:21 pm by Aaron »

Jordy33

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2021, 10:57:49 pm »
Ok I thank you for helping out answering my questions. I’ll get back to you when I get a response / update :)

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2021, 11:00:09 pm »
+5
Best of luck. I'd be doing it in order as follows:
1. Speak to them yourself, try to convince why you should do the subject. Give reasons and any links you are aware of to your future pathway e.g. uni course etc. Go to the person that coordinates VCE. Either a VCE Coordinator, Head of House/Sub school leader etc... it shouldn't be hard to figure out who does all that stuff.
2. If that doesn't work, i'd be getting your parents to contact the school and trying it that way.

Whatever you do - approach positively. If you accuse them of breaking rules, it will end badly.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 11:01:51 pm by Aaron »