Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 11:57:55 pm

Author Topic: atar  (Read 717 times)  Share 

fodi

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
atar
« on: January 08, 2021, 09:18:57 pm »
+1
hi guys! is it still possible for me to get a 99+ atar if I got a study score in the mid 30s? I did 3/4 biology this year and did really bad on the exam and now im stressed.

thank you!  :)

Chocolatemilkshake

• MOTM: JAN 21
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +371
Re: atar
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2021, 09:35:56 pm »
+9
Of course it’s possible! There are lots of people who don’t do an early 3/4 but end up with 99+ ATARs.

I have many friends who were unhappy with their first 3/4 but turned that disappointment into an incentive to smash year 12 the following year. At first it will be disappointing but try to use it as motivation rather than giving up.

I suggest you reflect on biology last year and think of ways you can improve your study techniques, was there a particular reason you didn’t perform as well as you had hoped? It could just be that the subject didn’t suit you as well as you thought it would which is totally okay. At the end of the day the most important thing is that you use your first 3/4 as a learning experience and a stepping stone to do better in your other subjects. And yes, you might feel a little "behind" compared to those who have gotten really good scores in their accelerated subjects, but try your best not to let it bother you. There's no reason you can't do better in your subjects this year.

Your ATAR is calculated using 4 primary subjects (one which must be English) and 2 bottom subjects (if you have them) which only count 10%. For that reason, if you do really well in 4 subjects in year 12 your bio score will simply be counted as a 10% score (and think about it, a 30 or 45 study score in the bottom two ends up being an aggregate difference of only 1.5 in the end).

So to finish up, don’t stress too much about it. You’ve done one 3/4 early which is something to be proud of (especially this year) regardless of your score. Now focus on 2021 and the subjects you are doing this year. Also, if you are aiming for 99+ your English subject does become really important so I suggest that you make sure you are always on top of this subject. It can make a big difference in the end (I would even go as far to say prioritise it a little).
All the best  8)
Edit; typo
« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 09:42:48 pm by Chocolatemilkshake »
2021-2025: BMedSci/M.D @ Monash

fodi

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Re: atar
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2021, 02:16:01 pm »
+1
Of course it’s possible! There are lots of people who don’t do an early 3/4 but end up with 99+ ATARs.

I have many friends who were unhappy with their first 3/4 but turned that disappointment into an incentive to smash year 12 the following year. At first it will be disappointing but try to use it as motivation rather than giving up.

I suggest you reflect on biology last year and think of ways you can improve your study techniques, was there a particular reason you didn’t perform as well as you had hoped? It could just be that the subject didn’t suit you as well as you thought it would which is totally okay. At the end of the day the most important thing is that you use your first 3/4 as a learning experience and a stepping stone to do better in your other subjects. And yes, you might feel a little "behind" compared to those who have gotten really good scores in their accelerated subjects, but try your best not to let it bother you. There's no reason you can't do better in your subjects this year.

Your ATAR is calculated using 4 primary subjects (one which must be English) and 2 bottom subjects (if you have them) which only count 10%. For that reason, if you do really well in 4 subjects in year 12 your bio score will simply be counted as a 10% score (and think about it, a 30 or 45 study score in the bottom two ends up being an aggregate difference of only 1.5 in the end).

So to finish up, don’t stress too much about it. You’ve done one 3/4 early which is something to be proud of (especially this year) regardless of your score. Now focus on 2021 and the subjects you are doing this year. Also, if you are aiming for 99+ your English subject does become really important so I suggest that you make sure you are always on top of this subject. It can make a big difference in the end (I would even go as far to say prioritise it a little).
All the best  8)
Edit; typo

Thank you so so much! I was feeling pretty unmotivated and stressed after receiving my study score but this made me feel less stressed. I will keep all of your advice in mind this year, thank you again.  :)