Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 23, 2024, 06:09:13 pm

Author Topic: whys learns espaņol (っ◔◡◔)っ♥  (Read 1085 times)

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +916
whys learns espaņol (っ◔◡◔)っ♥
« on: August 31, 2019, 05:42:59 pm »
+7
𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘣𝘰𝘶𝘯𝘥𝘢𝘳𝘪𝘦𝘴 𝘰𝘧 𝘮𝘺 𝘭𝘢𝘯𝘨𝘶𝘢𝘨𝘦 𝘢𝘳𝘦 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘣𝘰𝘶𝘯𝘥𝘢𝘳𝘪𝘦𝘴 𝘰𝘧 𝘮𝘺 𝘸𝘰𝘳𝘭𝘥.

To immerse yourself in another language is to discover a whole new culture and way of thinking. For me, I've always wanted to learn more languages. I don't think I've ever really had the courage to though, and now seemed like a great time, until I realised exams are coming up! So, unfortunately, I don't think I'll be able to make too much progress here this year, but hopefully I'll be able to next year. I just wanted to create this thread so I don't forget to document my journey later on. As you know or don't know, I've previously made a thread here which didn't go well because I realised there were better ways to go about learning an expansive vocabulary (that was my intention) than just learning one a day. So, hopefully this one isn't a failure like the last one!

languages '◡'
For those of you who are interested, these are the languages I want to learn fluently before I die (in no particular order):
English
I obviously already know this decently well. 8)
1. Tamil
I know this language very well and can read, write and speak it, but I want to start reading ancient literature in this language and have the capability to write meaningful poems and stories that have complex vocabulary. This is my first language, and I miss the days I knew it as well as/better than English. Feels bad because I know English better than my native tongue now. :(
2. Hindi
I know little tidbits of this language because I've watched a lot of movies in it. I don't think this will be hard to pick up, but I know it will be hard to read for me (so I want to focus on reading when I'm learning the language) because it is written using a completely different letter system to the two letter systems I already know and use.
3. Spanish
Spanish is awesome. I learnt it from prep to year 4, and I was really good at it. Then I never spoke it again ever since I moved schools, so I've forgotten everything except for things like hola! and amigo! and numbers. I really enjoyed learning it, and I've always wanted to pick it up again because I remember it being so fun.
4. Dutch
Yes, this is an extremely difficult language to pronounce correctly. That doesn't put me off though! With practice, perseverance and effort, I'm sure I won't sound too bad. I know how funny it is when you are a native speaker of a language and you hear someone pronounce everything incorrectly and they don't realise it. I don't want my Dutch pronunciation to be horrible. I know it's possible, because it's all about training your mouth to move the right way.
5. Norwegian
Ja! I want to learn Norwegian! I first became interested in this language when I started reading this web comic 2 years ago and it had people who spoke different Germanic languages. I guess Norwegian appealed the most to me - no idea why though! It just seems so cool, and I've been hooked through some simple research into this language already.

But whys! You don't want to learn French? It's (one of) the most common language for English speakers to learn!
Oui oui baguette, you heard me right. Je n'aime pas le franįais (⚆ _ ⚆). I've learnt French for the best part of 5 years but personally, haven't been intrigued by it as much as other languages. I lost interest about 2 years into learning it. I have nothing against French or France, but I'd rather spend time on languages I have fun learning rather than pull myself through French when I could take half the time to learn another language. So for now, adieu franįais!

There are obviously some other super cool languages that have snagged my interest, such as Welsh and Afrikaans, but my list is already pretty comprehensive and would take ages to be proficient in so many languages. The list is very variable, but I'd like to put it out there to give myself and anyone reading a sense of direction about where I might end up going.

So, anyone care to join me as I unravel the beauty of learning espaņol?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 12:59:01 pm by whys »
psych [50] bio [50]
2021-2025: BMedSci/MD @ Monash

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
Re: whys is learning languages (っ◔◡◔)っ♥
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2019, 04:30:09 pm »
Which language is your favourite (of the ones you know or have begun to learn)?

^^^111^^^

• MOTM: JULY 2019
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +26
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2019, 04:36:39 pm »
+1
Bro,I am tamil as well :) :) :) Just realised this topic!!! Do you speak it at home,because I do as a matter of fact. I was taught by my parents (both tamil) to write in this language, but usually I am quite terrible lol. Anyway just to get the rapport going, here is another statement:

நான் உங்களுடன் சேர்ந்துள்ளேன், நீங்கள் வி.சி.இ தமிழ் 1 மற்றும் 2 செய்கிறீர்களா? ;) ;D :)

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +916
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2019, 09:20:22 pm »
+3
Which language is your favourite (of the ones you know or have begun to learn)?

I think Tamil will always be a personal favourite because it's my first language. I mean English is cool too, I just don't really have a 'connection' with English. I've started learning Hindi (just the vowels in the alphabet) but I don't think I can make much progress this year because... exams.

Bro,I am tamil as well :) :) :) Just realised this topic!!! Do you speak it at home,because I do as a matter of fact. I was taught by my parents (both tamil) to write in this language, but usually I am quite terrible lol. Anyway just to get the rapport going, here is another statement:

நான் உங்களுடன் சேர்ந்துள்ளேன், நீங்கள் வி.சி.இ தமிழ் 1 மற்றும் 2 செய்கிறீர்களா? ;) ;D :)

I've found one of my kind! ;D
Yes, I speak it at home. Actually, it's more a mix of Tamil and English than just Tamil though. I actually went to Tamil school for a few years, so that's where I learnt the complex stuff (not really 'complex', but you know). And yeah - I make spelling mistakes sometimes because I'm not as familiar with the language as I am with English. I mean, can you blame me? Everything I read is in English, except when I go out of my way to read Tamil. Plus, there's 3 different letters for 'la' and 2 letters for 'ra'. I usually get confused between when to use ல and when to use ள. I know ள usually goes at the end of a word, but still, it's hard when you don't read often.

நான் வி.சி.இ தமிழ் 1 & 2 இப்போது செய்யவில்லை :'(. நான் இரண்டாயிரத்தி பதினெட்டு (2018) வருடத்திள் செய்தேன், ஆனால் அதை விட்டுச்சென்றேன். இப்போது நான் அதை பற்றி வருத்தம் கொல்கிரேன். நீங்கள் செய்கிறீர்களா?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 01:01:23 pm by whys »
psych [50] bio [50]
2021-2025: BMedSci/MD @ Monash