Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 08:31:33 pm

Author Topic: HSC Journey- From Prelims to HSC  (Read 51693 times)

prickles

• Forum Obsessive
  • Goals are just dreams with deadlines
  • Respect: +268
Re: HSC Journey- From Prelims to HSC
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2017, 07:07:03 pm »
+2
Heyyy :D I'm ANOTHER soon to be HSCer!....and another Modern and Extension kiddie...Feels so weird that I'm starting my final year of school tomorrow!! My last 'first day of a new year'//....a mixture of sad scared and excited...

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2017, 07:16:27 pm »
+1
Oh my gosh hey! Another prelimmer! Or, I guess, HSCer now haha. Great to see you and I hope we can help you out and vice versa through this likely rollercoaster of a year! Also Modern yas. Do you know your modules/electives for it??

Also thinking of taking History Extension so it's cool to see other people's ideas too! The video games one + Jack the Ripper definitely piques my interest. Personally I'm gonna do Alexander Hamilton and how he was perceived through different American governments and how information available affected that, ultimately culminating in the musical.

But I'm super excited for this year with all the new year 12s and feel free to chat anytime!
YAAASSS another prelimmer! Kinda scary how prelim year finished so quickly!

As for my modern history electives, these are my modules:
Germany 1918-1938
Personality: Leni Riefenstahl 1902-2003
Conflict in Europe 1935-1945

What about you?

Heyyy :D I'm ANOTHER soon to be HSCer!....and another Modern and Extension kiddie...Feels so weird that I'm starting my final year of school tomorrow!! My last 'first day of a new year'//....a mixture of sad scared and excited...
Hello fellow prelimmer (I like to say prelimmer so I can say it's only prelims guys lol)! Ayy another modern and extension student! Yes it's so weird how it feels like a new year is starting but it's still 2017! Good look for tomorrow :)

Mod edit: Merged posts :)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 07:20:24 pm by Jess1113 »
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

Lollzza

• Forum Regular
  • It`s not a day without an existential crisis or tw
  • Respect: +19
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2017, 07:33:02 pm »
Oo we're doing Germany too! Gonna hit'chu up if I need help ahah.
Omg hey! So cool how all the prelimmers are finally making their way out of the shadows (I say as a member since year 10 welp). And another history extension student!! Wow I feel like we attract them ahha.
HSC 2018: Who knows at this point

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1151
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2017, 08:33:53 pm »
+4
It's so cool how many of you are doing history extension! I do it this year and really love it. It's amazing that you guys are already thinking about ideas for your major because it took me forever.

My major was on the holocaust and for my question I looked at a debate between two historians on why the men of police battalion 101 were involved in the Holocaust, which was something I found really interesting. One of my friends looked at Jack the Ripper for her major as well and she liked it.

If you haven't already read it, I wrote this guide to break down the extension course!

Looking forward to reading your future entries!
Good luck everybody with starting year 12 tomorrow! ;D
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality
2018-2022: B Music/B Education (Secondary) [UNSW]

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2017, 08:49:51 pm »
+5
So it was the first day of school and already I want to curl up in a ball and cry ;-; Actually, too late; already did T_T (Warning: this post will be half rant, half narrative)

Period 2: Physics (period 1 was an assembly)
We spent the lesson going through our yearly exam. Surprisingly, I didn't do as bad as I anticipated. So here's the back story: I started going through the prelim and HSC syllabus at tutoring since year 9 because that was how enthusiastic I was to start physics lol. Come year 11, I got very confused with the method my physics teacher taught and the method my tutor taught. Even though I know the content back to front and even taught my friend when she needed help, I'd always do mediocre in my exams- my teacher thinks it's because I stress too much during the exam. As a result for the constant stress, I have the tendency to break down before and/or after the exam (usually after the exam). Before my task 1 prac exam, I had a panic attack since I wasn't sure what to expect. Back to my yearly exam, I managed to do better in this exam since previously, I would just barely pass. But I still want to get a higher mark in physics.

Period 3: Modern History
Funny thing about my modern teacher, she was like to my class,"I've marked your yearly exams but I didn't want to go through it today because I'm not bothered right now. But overall, I'm very disappointed." What a great way to start year 12! She did say there were some people that did well in the 10 mark essay in Section 2 but a lot of people didn't bother studying for that (which was the Indian Mutiny) so she was able to tell that most didn't study. Personally, I think I failed the Section 1 source based questions because I panicked when I was trying to succinctly respond to the source questions. And I hope I did well in the essay because I spent so long gathering quotes that showed that each country was to blame for the outbreak of WW1. Back to class, we just spent the class starting the first syllabus dot point but thanks to Susie's Head Start lecture, I knew what was going on! On a side note: History Extension is confirmed salfjlasfjlajlsfkh so excited

Period 4: Advanced English
I feel like today was just going to be a bad day because we also got our Task 3 essay back. And my rank dropped ;-; For half yearlies, I managed to come 2/96 but my marks dropped to a B-range mark. Sure it's not a bad mark, I was just hoping to maintain an A-range mark. It was worse because this assessment weight 30% on top of our yearly exam so I'm screwed. Plus, the teacher that marked this essay was notorious for roasting students- according to my friend who has her for Advanced English and Extension English. And I can see her roasting in her comments. I opened up my test booklet and all I saw was red T_T But thank god that this term, we have no english assessment! We're starting Area of Study but our first assessment, which will be a speech, will be presented next term.

Period 5: Extension Math
Now here comes the bigger problem that made me wanna cry. My math teacher decided to kill us by giving us our extension math paper AND mathematics paper in one go even though they haven't finished marking a few sections in mathematics. I figured that I was going to fail extension math since my friend and I couldn't even finish a past paper- it still kills me to see me fail. The thing is, I usually do better in extension math than mathematics (I was ranked 3/22 in half yearlies), but with this exam I didn't even pass.  I don't know the average mark for our class but judging on other people's reactions, I don't think the others did well. As for mathematics, I managed to do well in one section but I can't say the same for other sections of the paper. If I failed my extension math yearly, I'm hoping that at least I did better in mathematics.

But here's where my rant comes in: my math teacher sucks! Like, she legitimately sucks at teaching. Our class agreed that she can barely teach. Personally, I like my teachers to know what they're teaching and confidently explain the concepts to the class. Sure, I don't mind a few mistakes here and there but my teacher looks like she doesn't know what she's teaching and makes mistakes in her working out- at this point, it's basically this guy (who's first in maths and extension math) who is teaching her and the class. On top of that, I've approached her numerous times asking her to help me with a question or see if my working out makes sense but she always says,"I'll get back to you" and never responds. Oh, and a few days before our yearly exam, one guy in my class asked for her help with one of the questions from a past paper. She responds with:"If this question shows up in the exam, move on to the next question." If we were to follow her advice, all of us would finish the exam in less than 10 minutes! It's gotten to the point where I need two math tutors but I'm thinking of changing one of my math tutors because I can stand my math teacher.

To make things worse, there are some people in my class that shouldn't be in extension math. We have a lot more 5.2 students in our class, and I'm not saying that they're not capable of doing extension math. In fact, I think that they could also do well in extension math. The problem is that they have the attitude of 'I think I'll have a go at extension math and see how I go' and aren't serious in their studies. They obviously don't do work in class (and got to the point where my math coordinator had to speak to us about our behaviour) and my math teacher even told me that she believes that our class should be split in half because that's how much hope she has in us! And who to blame for this? My Curriculum Coordinator. Last year, our subject letters came so late (the week before year 10 finished school) and she stuffed up all of our subjects. On top of that, she allowed people to do extension subjects even though they didn't appear on the top ranks for our half yearlies! She even stuffed up my subjects because she swapped modern history with IPT and confirmed with me that I'll be doing modern history (at that time, I was going to do engineering studies as well). Come beginning of year 11, she didn't give me extension math and swapped that 1 unit with SLR so I changed my time table so I was doing modern and SAC. If this was settled last year, then my math teacher would've ended up as my physics teacher since they wouldn't run engineering studies! And my physics teacher (although sometimes not the best at teaching physics) is much better at teaching maths than my current math teacher! ajhfkahfk so grumpy

Period 6: Society & Culture
I still have to go to SAC even though I plan to drop this subject since the first two weeks for this term are still prelims. But then my teacher said we're getting our exams back. At this point I was emotionally numb because I was too busy crying in math and I figured that I wasn't gonna do well in my SAC yearly exam. Surprisingly, I managed to come 2/35 in yearlies. Too bad that I'm planning to drop this subject- it would be stressful though to keep SAC and do extension history so I'm hoping that I won't regret my decision.

Sorry that this was a really long post and it was mostly a depressing post with my ranting. I had a feeling that I wasn't gonna do well in my yearlies, which was why I wasn't looking forward to the first day of school. Plus, I was extremely burnt out by the end of term 3 I feel like 2 weeks wasn't a long holiday- I tend to get stressed and burnt out pretty easily so the first day was already exhausting. But no homework at least!
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2017, 09:51:07 pm »
+6
Day 2 of being Year 12! Well, today was quite uneventful since sports day is on Tuesday and we only had three periods. Except I woke up today feeling emotionally numb from yesterday's depressing events. But I did feel a bit better today even though I'm usually dead inside lol.

Period 1: Mathematics
Math in the morning made me sad since it was a constant reminder of my failure. My teacher said our class average was 25% but she doesn't remember whether it was mathematics or extension math- highly doubt it was extension math because everyone did really bad. She was also going through some of the questions and the solutions for the extension math paper but usually teachers would post the solutions in the Google Drive but she only posted the solutions for the replacement questions- replacement questions meaning that when the school bought the papers, they had to change some of the questions because we're behind by two topics -_- I was trying to find the solutions to the whole paper but when I asked my teacher, she said she only uploaded the solutions for the replacement questions and admitted that, and I quote,"got lazy" at posting the rest of the solutions. What a great teacher! We're surely gonna do well in our HSC!

Period 2: Studies of Religion
My teacher was away today but she did send us some class work via email yesterday. Haha funny story: So I have my school email on my phone and when I opened it on my phone, I was scanning through the email and then I panicked when I saw the words "I am very disappointed..." I thought she was talking about our exams and died even more. When I opened my email on my laptop, I realised she said she was disappointed that she won't be joining us for the first SOR lesson with us lol. Moral of the story: read the email properly before panicking.

Period 3: Modern History
Yesterday my teacher mentioned that overall she was disappointed at us for our crappy results for our yearlies. My class was already anxious at her blunt comment yesterday so she decided to begin the class by showing us the range of marks people got and how many people got certain marks- anonymous of course. That made us panic even more because there was a wide spread of marks, along with some people getting zeroes in some of their responses. But I was relieved when I got my two papers back.
Section 1 (WW1 source based): 24/25
Section 2 (Indian Mutiny essay): 10/10
That one mark that I lost annoyed the hell out of me because it was the type of question where it had two statements and you had to decide if they were true or false. The thing that annoyed me the most was when my teacher was explaining why one of the statements were true, she read out the quote that made the statement true and I underlined that quote and incorporated that quote in my 6 mark response! *flips table* lakjfljafsljalwhowefh We handed our papers back and now I'm waiting for Section 3, which was an essay on the causes of WW1.

Sport/Major Work Session
Since I still haven't dropped SAC, I still need to attend these Major Work sessions. My modern teacher gathered up all the Extension History students today to go through the rough outlines of the syllabus. Funny because she said the meeting was only gonna go for 10 minutes but ended up going for an hour lol. Her introduction to the subject was that it would require us to study history as a concept rather than studying a historical event and warned us that it's very philosophical. She even gave us a taste on what kind of historical debates we would be covering! One thing you should know about me is that I LOVE philosophy- I have books by Marx, Plato and Aristotle on my shelf at the moment. Haven't read them but I was introduced to philosophy in Year 9 when I had to make an iMovie on Philosophy in the Hunger Games, an assignment I enjoyed.

The problem about Extension History was that my modern history teacher is an afternoon person and she will be taking us this term and can only meet up Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday. She offered Tuesdays and Thursdays- crappy timing because those two days are my tutoring days! She asked if I could try and move Tuesday tutoring sessions to another day but I can't because I have three hours of tutoring on Tuesdays with different tutors and they can't move to another day. I'm hoping she would agree to my proposition that we can have lessons on Wednesdays and Thursdays since my Thursday tutor is a bit more flexible and I only have one lesson. Another problem was that my history and SAC teachers recommended me to keep SAC since if people drop out of Extension History- say three people left- they might not run the subject unless if we're too far into the course, or at least keep it by the end of the year. This means that I'm currently doing 13 units and I'll have to work on two Major Works during sport. Even though it was only a meeting and I was just brainstorming ideas for my SAC PIP I was already exhausted in absorbing all the information about Extension History. The reason why I was initially gonna keep SAC for a while is that I'm afraid my Extension Math marks might drop so I can easily drop Extension Math with a back up subject. But with Extension History starting next week, I'm gonna end up doing 13 units. I'll probably speak to my Curriculum Coordinator about this tomorrow.

As for my SAC PIP topic, I decided to do a PIP on Kawaii culture- this was the topic I chose in my Task 1 mini PIP. Since the only problems I had with my mini PIP was my annotated bibliography, my SAC teacher said I can stick to that topic and refine it at the moment, and it also suited my situation of being unsure whether to drop SAC or stay due to my circumstances with Extension History.

So, today was kinda uneventful, though I'm really excited for Extension History next week because my teacher said we'll get to study Hamilton! My teacher also said that if Hamilton were to come to Australia, we would go and watch it and judge all the historical inaccuracies lol. Or maybe it is historically accurate? And on a side note: my Winston Churchill books arrived today!

Lollzza

• Forum Regular
  • It`s not a day without an existential crisis or tw
  • Respect: +19
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2017, 10:06:12 pm »
+1
So, today was kinda uneventful, though I'm really excited for Extension History next week because my teacher said we'll get to study Hamilton! My teacher also said that if Hamilton were to come to Australia, we would go and watch it and judge all the historical inaccuracies lol. Or maybe it is historically accurate? And on a side note: my Winston Churchill books arrived today!

Booooooooooiiiiiiiiii I could write you an essay about Hamilton's directorial decisions (and i shall be for Ext History wink wink). In essence it has weirdly accurate details but a lot of stuff didn't happen. E.g. Burr and Hamilton weren't friends irl but did work together in law at some point. And if it comes to Australia I will see you there.

I am in the same boat as you for the subjects though! A little scared to drop IPT because if people drop extension history then ill be left at 10 units which I do not want to happen. But teacher will probably be mad if i try and take 13 for a term haha. I'm glad you're happy with those results though! Remember, it was just prelims ahah. 
HSC 2018: Who knows at this point

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2017, 10:15:54 pm »
+1
Booooooooooiiiiiiiiii I could write you an essay about Hamilton's directorial decisions (and i shall be for Ext History wink wink). In essence it has weirdly accurate details but a lot of stuff didn't happen. E.g. Burr and Hamilton weren't friends irl but did work together in law at some point. And if it comes to Australia I will see you there.

I am in the same boat as you for the subjects though! A little scared to drop IPT because if people drop extension history then ill be left at 10 units which I do not want to happen. But teacher will probably be mad if i try and take 13 for a term haha. I'm glad you're happy with those results though! Remember, it was just prelims ahah.
"It's only prelims guys." I swear that is my motto for the whole year lol.

HamBurr17

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2017, 09:41:35 pm »
+1

You guys are STUDYING HAMILTON?!?!!?!?!?!???!?!?!?!

Oh man, I weep  ;)

But seriously, if when it comes to Australia, I too will see you there XD
HSC 2017: English Adv | Society and Culture | Legal Studies | Modern History | Ancient History | Industrial Technology - Multimedia

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2017, 10:41:47 pm »
+9
Hey guys!

Just a short post today but to any Year 12's taking the HSC tomorrow:
GOOD LUCK TO ALL OF YOU!

I'm sure your hard work will be paid off :)

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2017, 07:00:11 pm »
+6
So I haven't had time to post for the past week since I've been busy (even though only two weeks have passed whoops!) but doing 13 units worth of subjects is slowly eating away my sleep. The stress hasn't kicked in yet but HSC year is starting next week so my stressed mode is probably gonna kick into gear soon. These two weeks have been really uneventful- not surprising since barely anything has happened apart from the usual 'school-home-homework' routine with a few tutoring sessions here and there. ALTHOUGH I did go to an English excursion on Thursday to go see a play at Belvoir St Theatre; 'Ghosts' was the name of the play. I really enjoyed that play since the set was really pretty and the acting was amazing! But I couldn't help but think about discovery throughout the whole play -_-

And then I managed to finally get my driver's licence on Friday! I've been procrastinating in doing my Driver's Knowledge Test but now that I've finally got my L's, I can't wait to start driving.

So yeah, nothing much has been happening. I have been trying to maintain this habit of doing study notes at the end of each week on Evernote to try and stay on top of my subjects, which is weird since I usually write my study notes and I'm usually really picky with what study resources and stationery I should use- I've turned into a stationery/textbook connoisseur. I'm hoping that if I have time, I want to do some stationery reviews that could help in exams as well as some textbook reviews since I have a bunch of textbooks sitting on my bookshelf right now- both mediocre and good ones!

(This post was probably a mess so sorry for my thoughts being all over the place :) )

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2017, 02:50:55 pm »
+3
So it's been a while since I've written anything. Exam notifications have been piling up and my stress levels have been increasing each day- ahh fun times. Now I have a Modern History topic test tomorrow, an SOR exam on Tuesday and a Permutations and Combinations topic test on Wednesday, which kinda sucks since I had to go to a society and culture excursion on Thursday and Friday. It was fun but my homework and exam preparations had to be put to a halt, meaning that my weekends are gonna be drowned by homework to catch up and make sure I'm on task in terms of my assignment. Sometimes I'm surprised I haven't cried myself to sleep this week but that's probably gonna kick in when my math exams are around the corner.

Speaking of math, my prelim reports have just been mailed and boy is my dad annoyed. Not at me, per se, but more at my school. If you haven't noticed yet, my math teacher really sucks- not just me holding a grudge against her but the whole class can agree that she legitimately cannot teach. So my 2U math rank has improved in comparison to my half-yearlies but my 3U rank has plummeted from a 3rd to a 7th. But I'm more concerned over my yearlies mark. Our class failed so bad in our yearlies our class average was a 25%, with the highest mark being a pass- barely pass. Even though my rank is 7/22 (now 14 since so many people dropped), my course grade is a D, meaning that if you look at the mark distribution, everyone got either a D or an E with only one person getting a C. My dad was furious at the school when he saw the mark distribution because it reflects how ineffective my math teacher is at doing her job. On top of that, I've been dissatisfied with my math tutor as of late since he tends to get distracted with other tutors in the same room and talk about something irrelevant like memes while I'm flailing in my seat, trying to get his attention. My other math tutor is also not the best since there have been times when he looks at a question and says,"Huh. Not sure how to do that question" and this isn't a one time thing; this happens at least once a week. Like I get that all tutors can solve every single math problem but if this is happening consistently, then ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Also, I've recently realised how much I suck at time management. Juggling with 2 Major Works, homework, exam preparations and studying has been a massive struggle for me. I've been trying to finish my annotated bibliography for SAC but my math homework takes up most of my night. And I've been a bit neglectful towards my History Extension Project lately, probably because I'm not sure where to go (I have my topic but I'm not sure how to narrow it down to a question).

Another thing I realised is my lacking extra-curricular activities. Sure, I did Red Shield Appeal, helped out in Breakfast Club twice and volunteered for subject selection evening, but I've barely done anything and if I want to apply for School Recommendation Scheme or any scholarships, my application would not give me a leverage over the other applicants. I've been trying to look for places to volunteer but most of them say that you need to be 18 and over to volunteer. I've tried talking to my career advisor but she tells me not to worry about it since I've done a lot in Year 10 but I've heard that the Selection Committee does not give a toss about my Year 10 contributions and I should do more in Year 11 and 12. If anyone knows anywhere I could volunteer or an upcoming event that is accepting volunteers please PM me or just respond to this post because I really want to do some volunteering and holidays are coming up soon.

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2017, 07:21:31 pm »
+5
Hey guys! Quick post today but I just wanted to tell you write that I just got accepted to the Honeywell Engineering Summer School! OMG I'M SO EXCITED TO DO SOME ENGINEERING STUFF (idk what lol) AT THE END OF THE TERM!

The only problem is that it costs $800 to attend it since I'm staying at a place for 6 days ._.

Anyway, that's basically all for today :)

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2018, 11:03:55 pm »
+5
Woah I haven't been here in a while. Coming back from my Engineering camp and then hit with the realisation that have two assignments to complete and a crap load of holiday homework. At this point, I've finished my holiday homework; I'm just in the dilemma whether I should focus on my Major Works or update my study notes. And school is slowly creeping up. Yay stress!

This week has been tiring since these AtarNotes lectures have been going on for the whole week, this being my second time attending the lectures. I found myself laughing internally because when I saw the group of lecturers (Jamon, Elyse, Rui and a whole bunch of others), I couldn't help but feel shocked that I'm seeing them in real life. I found this thought funny because it's almost like a reaction when you encounter celebrities; I've either spoke to them via the forums or read their posts so it made me feel like I knew them but at the same time know nothing about them. This is probably my inner nerd gushing over the whole AN team because I realised how much I admired them (like seriously, speaking to Susie via email for the first time led to me gushing to my friends how admirable Susie and the whole AN team are).

And then I found myself in the ATAR results discussion page. The more I scrolled through each page, it elevated my mood that there were a handful of people that were happy with their ATAR. I felt like a proud mum seeing everyone achieve at least something, even though I've never talked to them before via the forums or face to face. I guess that kinda motivated me to update my studyblr (add me @studywithlivia #shamelessplug) and push through my studies.

10 MORE MONTHS UNTIL THE HSC not sure if I should be happy or not lol

That's enough gushing from me.

On a side note: so my new math tutor is very unreliable at the moment so I'm math tutor hunting again- really difficult to find good ones that can teach 3U math so if you guys know anyone please let me know!
My english tutor is also kinda ditching me because she has internships this year (which is bad because she's capable of helping me in english, society & culture and modern history) so anyone who knows good english tutors please let me know!

Anyways, I'll see you soon (probably in like 9742761 years)!

- Olivia

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2018, 11:11:57 pm »
+3
hey hey!!

i was exactly the same with all the lecturers at the AN meetups - it's so strange meeting people you know from the internet in real life! sometimes i'm still shocked i know them?? like i just wow hahahaha

as cliche as it sounds, year 12 goes by super fast. you probably won't believe it until you get to half yearlies, or maybe even after that, but time just flies. make the most of it - it's such a great year (albeit very stressful at times) :-)

all the best for the rest of the year!
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW