Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 06:43:09 am

Author Topic: Discord  (Read 5476 times)  Share 

diggity

• Trailblazer
  • "Somebody once told me,the world is gonna roll me"
  • Respect: 0
Discord
« on: July 02, 2019, 09:39:24 am »
You guys should start a discord server. I helped start one but it only has 200 members, which is not enough to be super useful, but I think you guys could sustain a larger member base (also you guys have moderators and that who can actually help, we're running off of just other students to support people)
https://discordapp.com/invite/zEWnJnC

HSC 2019 discord. Minimal work is done, but more people to do that work would be nice. Feel free to join.

Aiming for an E4 in MX1 and MX2, and a band 6 in IT (Multimedia). Band 5 in English would require a miracle. Need a 90+ atar to actually recieve my scholarship at WSU (which is why I'm here, haha)

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
Re: Discord
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2019, 10:47:47 am »
+6
You guys should start a discord server. I helped start one but it only has 200 members, which is not enough to be super useful, but I think you guys could sustain a larger member base (also you guys have moderators and that who can actually help, we're running off of just other students to support people)

I mean, as an alternative to Discord, AN could instead build a website, call it a forum, and let people chat there.
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

diggity

• Trailblazer
  • "Somebody once told me,the world is gonna roll me"
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2019, 12:15:14 pm »
Except discord is way more convenient (tons of people have it)
https://discordapp.com/invite/zEWnJnC

HSC 2019 discord. Minimal work is done, but more people to do that work would be nice. Feel free to join.

Aiming for an E4 in MX1 and MX2, and a band 6 in IT (Multimedia). Band 5 in English would require a miracle. Need a 90+ atar to actually recieve my scholarship at WSU (which is why I'm here, haha)

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2019, 12:28:28 pm »
+5
While I support the idea of a Discord for instant messaging and as a replacement to our old, archived and barely used chat functionality... Discord is targeted towards a gamer demographic. I actually floated the idea a while back and it was turned down then, so I can't see why anything would change since.

A forum and IM chat service such as Discord are two completely different things so I don't think you can compare them. Each have their own purpose and place.

Like I said, I think a Discord would be great as an alternative to our unused chat service (see top bar of this page for 'Chat') but overall as a replacement/primary feature it is not ideal.

There have been many threads about setting up a Discord already and I would definitely encourage you to go and find them to see the previous responses.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 12:36:06 pm by Aaron »
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2019, 12:36:26 pm »
+6
tons of people have the internet too (especially since internet is required for discord) :P

I understand that it might be appealing to be able to engage with AN through a more social-media-ish system but the forums are optimised to best benefit the community and a discord server couldn't be customised to the same extent. Having a set-up people can ask questions and get answers + feedback and also see questions and resources going back years is incredibly useful. If discord became the new hub for gettings answers, feedback, and advice, it'd be harder for people to find previous students asking similar questions and giving feedback on there experiences.

I don't use discord so I don't 100% understand how people use it and it operates, but I don't see how it could be better than what we have now. I know you were advocating for both rather than one or the other, but a question asked on discord rather than here means one less resource a future student can find here

Even though I think this particular idea isn't practical, I'm glad you had the intiative to think of one and propose it :)
(sidenote: moderators generally are other students (admittedly, often at the tertiary level) who started as 'just other (high school) students' who helped a lot)