Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 10:06:59 pm

Author Topic: English Standard Essay Marking  (Read 128964 times)

Daniyahasan

• Forum Obsessive
Re: English Standard Essay Marking
« Reply #180 on: September 26, 2017, 10:18:36 am »
Hey guys!
So iv attached by Mod C Billy Elliot essay below
in trails it was my weakest essay scoring a 12/20:(
but iv fixed it up tremendously now but i still feel like its not good enough
one thing im worried about is the length, its WAYY too long, so itd be great if you guys tell me what bits that are unnecessary , cos i HAVE to get rid of some stuff but im not sure what
and can you guys please allocate what mark id be looking at with this essay out of 20?
Thank you, you guys are the real MVP:)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 10:22:47 am by Daniyahasan »
ATAR Goal 90

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
« Reply #181 on: September 26, 2017, 01:11:46 pm »
Hey guys!
So iv attached by Mod C Billy Elliot essay below
in trails it was my weakest essay scoring a 12/20:(
one thing im worried about is the length, its WAYY too long, so itd be great if you guys tell me what bits that are unnecessary , cos i HAVE to get rid of some stuff but im not sure what
and can you guys please allocate what mark id be looking at with this essay out of 20?
Thank you, you guys are the real MVP:)

Hey! My spreadsheet says you need 125 posts to receive feedback on your next essay (having had three things marked before now) - Note that the post count requirement has temporarily increased to 50 posts to help us manage the HSC rush :)

Daniyahasan

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #182 on: September 26, 2017, 01:30:41 pm »
Hey! My spreadsheet says you need 125 posts to receive feedback on your next essay (having had three things marked before now) - Note that the post count requirement has temporarily increased to 50 posts to help us manage the HSC rush :)
OMG since when, ddnt see any post saying the requirement had increased so i didnt know ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
so did you mean i need 125 for this essay or for the next one?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 02:06:03 pm by Daniyahasan »
ATAR Goal 90

Daniyahasan

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #183 on: September 27, 2017, 03:08:24 pm »
Hey!
finally mustered up 125 posts so hopefully i can get feedback on my essay now
So iv attached my Mod C Billy Elliot essay below
in trails it was my weakest essay scoring a 12/20 :(
one thing im seriously worried about is the length, its WAYY too long, so itd be great if you guys tell me what bits are unnecessary , cos i HAVE to get rid of some stuff because theres no way i can write all that in 40 minutes, but im not sure what to get rid of
Thanks!!!!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 11:15:31 am by Daniyahasan »
ATAR Goal 90

Daniyahasan

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #184 on: September 29, 2017, 12:09:38 pm »
Hey Jamon,
so i have an mock hsc exam for modules on Tuesday and i already put up my mod c essays a couple of days ago, but if i put my mod b essay tonight is there any way i can get them both back before Sunday?
ik you guys probs have HEAPS of other essays and things to mark but but i reallyyyy wanna do well in those mock exams im SO sorry this is so late minute-ish
ATAR Goal 90

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #185 on: September 29, 2017, 01:49:18 pm »
Hey Jamon,
so i have an mock hsc exam for modules on Tuesday and i already put up my mod c essays a couple of days ago, but if i put my mod b essay tonight is there any way i can get them both back before Sunday?
ik you guys probs have HEAPS of other essays and things to mark but but i reallyyyy wanna do well in those mock exams im SO sorry this is so late minute-ish

It is possible, but we do have the first of the Head Start lectures tomorrow so no guarantees unfortunately! :)

Daniyahasan

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #186 on: September 29, 2017, 02:10:59 pm »
It is possible, but we do have the first of the Head Start lectures tomorrow so no guarantees unfortunately! :)

I'll put it up anyways Incase you guys get it the time. Thanks Jamon😊
ATAR Goal 90

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #187 on: October 02, 2017, 12:51:50 am »
Hey!
finally mustered up 125 posts so hopefully i can get feedback on my essay now
So iv attached my Mod C Billy Elliot essay below
in trails it was my weakest essay scoring a 12/20 :(
one thing im seriously worried about is the length, its WAYY too long, so itd be great if you guys tell me what bits are unnecessary , cos i HAVE to get rid of some stuff because theres no way i can write all that in 40 minutes, but im not sure what to get rid of
Thanks!!!!

Hey! Your essay is attached with feedback in bold :) it will be hard to allocate a mark without the question though!

Essay With Feedback
As individuals progress through life, they often need to successfully navigate their way from one challenge to another. This progression not only develops the individual but also pushes individuals towards reconsideration of themselves and others, which develops into growth of the individual. This secondary aspect of "growth of the individual" is the same as "develops the individual," you've not really added much in this amplification! Use the space to tailor to the question. The film, ‘Billy Elliott’ (2000), composed by Stephen Daldry is a successful example of utilising the themes of transition to share experiences and beliefs both personal and societal. Stephan Daldry uses an array of literary and visual techniques coupled with a variety of cinematographic techniques. To achieve what? You could likely blend this sentence with the last sentence. Similarly, the poem “Father and child”, by Gwen Harwood also highlights the transition of one’s perspective through the use of various literary elements. This application allows for a greater understanding of the world of the protagonist and the transition of father and son through the key ideas of masculinity and maturity of the characters. Overall a solid introduction! Good stuff - Be sure that it is tailored to whatever question is in front of you :)

The transition into new worlds may be shaped by both familial and societal expectations. Nice, simple introduction - Could be moulded to suit whatever question you are faced with if necessary. In Stephen Daldry’s, ‘Billy Elliot’, Billy is subjected to the hyper-masculine expectations that are held by the society. These ideas are further reinforced by the dominating presence of both his father Jackie and his brother. Retell - Don't describe character situations! A symbol of these expectations is repeated throughout the film in the form of motif. Give us what the actual motif is - Try not to spend a whole sentence introducing a technique without the example. Billy’s boxing gloves represent a long held family tradition, shown through Jackie dialogue, ‘Those were by father’s gloves’. The dialogue doesn't add much here. This adds to the pressures faced by Billy in an attempt to begin his transition, as he feels he needs to live up to his father’s expectations. How does this link to the theme? How does the audience react? The gloves around Billy’s neck are symbolic of the continual influence that his familial expectations have over him. Daldry reinforces the influence of society through the mining strikes that punctuate Billy’s transition into his new world. The combination of close up shots and diegetic sound demonstrates the aggression and unity of the men in the society. Good combination of a few techniques here. Billy is notably absent despite his brother and father being there. This symbolises his exclusion from his society and his inability to fit in and comply with the masculine culture. Be sure your paragraphs have a definite conclusion! "Thus, we can see how _______."

Venturing into new experiences can be a strenuous process as individuals may encounter challenges and barriers, however with perseverance one can reap many significant rewards which are effectively beneficial. Quite broad, but again, could be tailored to the question :) In addition the series of rapid cuts between both the world of ballet and the violence of the strikers is displayed through the striking scene as it serves to reinforce the gulf between the two worlds. Be sure to briefly mention which text you are discussing before you launch into analysis, just to make sure the audience is oriented to which way you are heading. The aerial shot of the picket line is contrasted with the power and grace of Billy’s dance moves. To what effect? The use of Jackie's dialogue, “You! Out! Now!” highlights his anger at his son for not fulfilling a masculine role. Perhaps a better technique here, maybe exclamation? Otherwise, perhaps describe the tone accompanying the dialogue? This shows that the ideas Jackie consumes are holding him back from transitioning and accepting his son for what he loves. What does it show the audience about new experiences? Be sure to not just describe the characters and their emotions/experiences. Additionally the deep breathing and close-up shot of Jackie's anxious face as he decides to go back to the mines portrays how much the decision of going back to the mines has cost this strongly principled character and further portrays his gradual transition to accepting his son. Good technique and example, again though, go broader - Effect on audience? “He is only a little boy, he could be a genius for all we know”, through Jackie's dialogue and facial expressions we see his journey to overcome his own misconceptions and established principles. Be careful not to use the same technique of dialogue over and over - Variety shows breadth of knowledge! Besides the obstacles that had held Jackie back from making a full transition it is the final phase that allows him to complete his journey and accept his son. A mid shot showcases the emotion the character feels signifying his final transition into this new world of ballet and his understanding of male masculinity. The character Jackie, represents a gradual transition as he contemplates the hardships of entering a new world that would be worthwhile for both the father and son. Really good conceptual paragraph here, good ideas, good techniques and examples. You just need to be linking it to the audience and the ideas in general, not just to the characters and their experiences - Characters are just puppets!

Human relationships can be a crucial catalyst in encouraging changes in an individual’s process of gaining emotional maturity. It is through Billy’s perseverance and boundless enthusiasm, that he challenges society’s expectations and pursues his passion for ballet. This is depicted in the final scene where he prepares to perform on stage. The use of an extreme close up shot of the protagonists face, emphasises his anxious feelings which are expressed as he is finally able to perform for his father. How does this link to the idea of emotional maturity? As Billy enters the stage for his final leap, non-diegetic music and low key lighting further enhance the aura of Billy’s transition, overcoming the societal expectations of masculinity and fulfilling his dream. The slowing tempo and harsh sounding of the orchestra in the classical piece, ‘Swan Lake’, creates suspense, and the slow motion, low angle shot of Billy leaping skilfully into a new world of possibility, highlights Billy’s sense of liberation. Daldry uses the white costume to symbolise Billy’s new beginning as a dancer, which exemplifies his transition in his final moment of triumph. Be sure your paragraphs have a proper conclusion - Lots of techniques here, excellent work on that, again just about extending to the audience impact!

Transition is an inevitable part of human experience as personal experiences shape how individuals perceive things from one part of life to another. The poem ‘Father and child’ by Gwen Harwood explores an individual who proceeds into a new experience, which leads to the transition of the individual. What sort of transition? A very broad introduction, something slightly more specific might be necessary! The persona is faced with barriers that obstruct them from disclosing the reality of life but curiosity influences the persona to persevere. In stanza one, it is evident that the persona will proceed into a new experience through the allusion to nature in, “I rose blessed by the sun. A horny fiend,” foreshadowing that the persona will grow and mature from a meaningful experience. I wouldn't quite call this an allusion - It isn't really referencing anything specific - Perhaps just natural imagery? However, the persona’s father is a notable barrier that hinders the transition into adulthood. Retell - Try not to describe plot points! This is depicted in the phrase, “old no sayer”, which conveys the authoritarian role of the father. The use of colloquial language highlights the lack of respect that the persona has for the father. How does this link to the idea of transitions/human experience? The gun held by the persona symbolizes the sense of power the persona feels, which is evident in the metaphor, “master of life and death.” Consequently, the persona’s understanding of death is shattered as their initial belief was that death is quick and painless. Retell. This is further conveyed through the use of dissonance of the word, ‘struck’, which eradicates the rhythm of the poem, thus exemplifying the harsh and abrupt gunshot that kills the owl as well as the child's youth and innocence. As a result, the persona is exposed to the shocking nature of death, which evokes the transition from childhood to adulthood. How does this relate to transitions? The juxtaposition of “old no sayer” with “Old king”, accentuates the child’s transformed attitude towards the father in which they have gained respect and gratitude. As well as this, the rhetorical question, “who can be what you were?” further conveys that the persona’s perception of the father changes as they believe that the father is irreplaceable and appreciate the father’s sacrifices.

Ultimately, the film “Billy Elliot” (2000), composed by Stephen Daldry explores transition of a father and son dealing with familial and societal expectations of masculinity and gender expectations. Daldry uses an array of techniques to reconstruct the feelings Billy went through within his transition from boxing to ballet. As well as the poem “Father and child” by Gwen Harwood, the transition of an individual’s perspective on life and death are depicted through the use of various language elements. Slightly awkward expression there. Daldry and Harwood showcase how transitions can result in new knowledge and ideals, shifts in attitude and beliefs and allow a deepened understanding of one’s self and the world around them.

I think this is quite a strong essay, assuming it responds to the question it is intended for! Lots of techniques which is fantastic, good explanations of what those techniques are representing/achieving. As a few over-arching things:

- Ensure your analysis is going beyond the character! Lots of times you are just saying "Shows CHARACTER is ______," or "Shows _______ about CHARACTER." Go further, take the same idea and extrapolate it to the audience, swap to "Shows the audience ______ about the theme," or "Reveals _________ to the audience." Characters are puppets - Don't let them dominate your analysis! Taking out the character details would be where I'd cut the words you need to cut - It would really streamline things :)

- The balance between Prescribed/RT is a little off, 3/1 is pushing it a tad far. I'd go 2/2 if you can!

- Ensure your introductions/concepts are specific and tailored to the question (whatever that may be) ;D

I hope this is helpful! Let me know if I can clarify anything ;D

Daniyahasan

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #188 on: October 02, 2017, 06:32:27 pm »
Hey! Your essay is attached with feedback in bold :) it will be hard to allocate a mark without the question though!

Essay With Feedback
As individuals progress through life, they often need to successfully navigate their way from one challenge to another. This progression not only develops the individual but also pushes individuals towards reconsideration of themselves and others, which develops into growth of the individual. This secondary aspect of "growth of the individual" is the same as "develops the individual," you've not really added much in this amplification! Use the space to tailor to the question. The film, ‘Billy Elliott’ (2000), composed by Stephen Daldry is a successful example of utilising the themes of transition to share experiences and beliefs both personal and societal. Stephan Daldry uses an array of literary and visual techniques coupled with a variety of cinematographic techniques. To achieve what? You could likely blend this sentence with the last sentence. Similarly, the poem “Father and child”, by Gwen Harwood also highlights the transition of one’s perspective through the use of various literary elements. This application allows for a greater understanding of the world of the protagonist and the transition of father and son through the key ideas of masculinity and maturity of the characters. Overall a solid introduction! Good stuff - Be sure that it is tailored to whatever question is in front of you :)

The transition into new worlds may be shaped by both familial and societal expectations. Nice, simple introduction - Could be moulded to suit whatever question you are faced with if necessary. In Stephen Daldry’s, ‘Billy Elliot’, Billy is subjected to the hyper-masculine expectations that are held by the society. These ideas are further reinforced by the dominating presence of both his father Jackie and his brother. Retell - Don't describe character situations! A symbol of these expectations is repeated throughout the film in the form of motif. Give us what the actual motif is - Try not to spend a whole sentence introducing a technique without the example. Billy’s boxing gloves represent a long held family tradition, shown through Jackie dialogue, ‘Those were by father’s gloves’. The dialogue doesn't add much here. This adds to the pressures faced by Billy in an attempt to begin his transition, as he feels he needs to live up to his father’s expectations. How does this link to the theme? How does the audience react? The gloves around Billy’s neck are symbolic of the continual influence that his familial expectations have over him. Daldry reinforces the influence of society through the mining strikes that punctuate Billy’s transition into his new world. The combination of close up shots and diegetic sound demonstrates the aggression and unity of the men in the society. Good combination of a few techniques here. Billy is notably absent despite his brother and father being there. This symbolises his exclusion from his society and his inability to fit in and comply with the masculine culture. Be sure your paragraphs have a definite conclusion! "Thus, we can see how _______."

Venturing into new experiences can be a strenuous process as individuals may encounter challenges and barriers, however with perseverance one can reap many significant rewards which are effectively beneficial. Quite broad, but again, could be tailored to the question :) In addition the series of rapid cuts between both the world of ballet and the violence of the strikers is displayed through the striking scene as it serves to reinforce the gulf between the two worlds. Be sure to briefly mention which text you are discussing before you launch into analysis, just to make sure the audience is oriented to which way you are heading. The aerial shot of the picket line is contrasted with the power and grace of Billy’s dance moves. To what effect? The use of Jackie's dialogue, “You! Out! Now!” highlights his anger at his son for not fulfilling a masculine role. Perhaps a better technique here, maybe exclamation? Otherwise, perhaps describe the tone accompanying the dialogue? This shows that the ideas Jackie consumes are holding him back from transitioning and accepting his son for what he loves. What does it show the audience about new experiences? Be sure to not just describe the characters and their emotions/experiences. Additionally the deep breathing and close-up shot of Jackie's anxious face as he decides to go back to the mines portrays how much the decision of going back to the mines has cost this strongly principled character and further portrays his gradual transition to accepting his son. Good technique and example, again though, go broader - Effect on audience? “He is only a little boy, he could be a genius for all we know”, through Jackie's dialogue and facial expressions we see his journey to overcome his own misconceptions and established principles. Be careful not to use the same technique of dialogue over and over - Variety shows breadth of knowledge! Besides the obstacles that had held Jackie back from making a full transition it is the final phase that allows him to complete his journey and accept his son. A mid shot showcases the emotion the character feels signifying his final transition into this new world of ballet and his understanding of male masculinity. The character Jackie, represents a gradual transition as he contemplates the hardships of entering a new world that would be worthwhile for both the father and son. Really good conceptual paragraph here, good ideas, good techniques and examples. You just need to be linking it to the audience and the ideas in general, not just to the characters and their experiences - Characters are just puppets!

Human relationships can be a crucial catalyst in encouraging changes in an individual’s process of gaining emotional maturity. It is through Billy’s perseverance and boundless enthusiasm, that he challenges society’s expectations and pursues his passion for ballet. This is depicted in the final scene where he prepares to perform on stage. The use of an extreme close up shot of the protagonists face, emphasises his anxious feelings which are expressed as he is finally able to perform for his father. How does this link to the idea of emotional maturity? As Billy enters the stage for his final leap, non-diegetic music and low key lighting further enhance the aura of Billy’s transition, overcoming the societal expectations of masculinity and fulfilling his dream. The slowing tempo and harsh sounding of the orchestra in the classical piece, ‘Swan Lake’, creates suspense, and the slow motion, low angle shot of Billy leaping skilfully into a new world of possibility, highlights Billy’s sense of liberation. Daldry uses the white costume to symbolise Billy’s new beginning as a dancer, which exemplifies his transition in his final moment of triumph. Be sure your paragraphs have a proper conclusion - Lots of techniques here, excellent work on that, again just about extending to the audience impact!

Transition is an inevitable part of human experience as personal experiences shape how individuals perceive things from one part of life to another. The poem ‘Father and child’ by Gwen Harwood explores an individual who proceeds into a new experience, which leads to the transition of the individual. What sort of transition? A very broad introduction, something slightly more specific might be necessary! The persona is faced with barriers that obstruct them from disclosing the reality of life but curiosity influences the persona to persevere. In stanza one, it is evident that the persona will proceed into a new experience through the allusion to nature in, “I rose blessed by the sun. A horny fiend,” foreshadowing that the persona will grow and mature from a meaningful experience. I wouldn't quite call this an allusion - It isn't really referencing anything specific - Perhaps just natural imagery? However, the persona’s father is a notable barrier that hinders the transition into adulthood. Retell - Try not to describe plot points! This is depicted in the phrase, “old no sayer”, which conveys the authoritarian role of the father. The use of colloquial language highlights the lack of respect that the persona has for the father. How does this link to the idea of transitions/human experience? The gun held by the persona symbolizes the sense of power the persona feels, which is evident in the metaphor, “master of life and death.” Consequently, the persona’s understanding of death is shattered as their initial belief was that death is quick and painless. Retell. This is further conveyed through the use of dissonance of the word, ‘struck’, which eradicates the rhythm of the poem, thus exemplifying the harsh and abrupt gunshot that kills the owl as well as the child's youth and innocence. As a result, the persona is exposed to the shocking nature of death, which evokes the transition from childhood to adulthood. How does this relate to transitions? The juxtaposition of “old no sayer” with “Old king”, accentuates the child’s transformed attitude towards the father in which they have gained respect and gratitude. As well as this, the rhetorical question, “who can be what you were?” further conveys that the persona’s perception of the father changes as they believe that the father is irreplaceable and appreciate the father’s sacrifices.

Ultimately, the film “Billy Elliot” (2000), composed by Stephen Daldry explores transition of a father and son dealing with familial and societal expectations of masculinity and gender expectations. Daldry uses an array of techniques to reconstruct the feelings Billy went through within his transition from boxing to ballet. As well as the poem “Father and child” by Gwen Harwood, the transition of an individual’s perspective on life and death are depicted through the use of various language elements. Slightly awkward expression there. Daldry and Harwood showcase how transitions can result in new knowledge and ideals, shifts in attitude and beliefs and allow a deepened understanding of one’s self and the world around them.

I think this is quite a strong essay, assuming it responds to the question it is intended for! Lots of techniques which is fantastic, good explanations of what those techniques are representing/achieving. As a few over-arching things:

- Ensure your analysis is going beyond the character! Lots of times you are just saying "Shows CHARACTER is ______," or "Shows _______ about CHARACTER." Go further, take the same idea and extrapolate it to the audience, swap to "Shows the audience ______ about the theme," or "Reveals _________ to the audience." Characters are puppets - Don't let them dominate your analysis! Taking out the character details would be where I'd cut the words you need to cut - It would really streamline things :)

- The balance between Prescribed/RT is a little off, 3/1 is pushing it a tad far. I'd go 2/2 if you can!

- Ensure your introductions/concepts are specific and tailored to the question (whatever that may be) ;D

I hope this is helpful! Let me know if I can clarify anything ;D

All the things you said made total sense and I'll get yo fixing it asap. Thanks so much Jamon!!! You are the best 😊😊
ATAR Goal 90

Daniyahasan

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #189 on: October 03, 2017, 10:32:17 am »
Hey jamon, so I went over your feedback again and I feel like the ort doesnt really flow with transitions or my essay so I'm thinking about getting a new ort.. Do you think that would be a good idea?
Also im thinking about the red tree by Shaun tan to be my new ort.

What say??
ATAR Goal 90

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #190 on: October 03, 2017, 01:59:18 pm »
Hey jamon, so I went over your feedback again and I feel like the ort doesnt really flow with transitions or my essay so I'm thinking about getting a new ort.. Do you think that would be a good idea?
Also im thinking about the red tree by Shaun tan to be my new ort.

What say??

If you think it will help you achieve a better balance, maybe! We are only two weeks away from the HSC though, think carefully before doing a last minute swap! Make sure it is something you have time to do right ;D

Daniyahasan

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #191 on: October 08, 2017, 02:07:38 pm »
If you think it will help you achieve a better balance, maybe! We are only two weeks away from the HSC though, think carefully before doing a last minute swap! Make sure it is something you have time to do right ;D
I think I'm gonna use my discovery ort and manipulate the analysis according to transitions
do you think that'll work
my ort for discovery was Shaun Tan's the red tree
ATAR Goal 90

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
« Reply #192 on: October 08, 2017, 02:27:37 pm »
I think I'm gonna use my discovery ort and manipulate the analysis according to transitions
do you think that'll work
my ort for discovery was Shaun Tan's the red tree

oh for sure! you're actually encouraged to use the same related over as many modules as you can because there's less texts to remember. :-) exploring transitions and discovery is almost the same thing anyways hahaha just replace discovery with transition 😜
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

Daniyahasan

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #193 on: October 08, 2017, 02:56:58 pm »
oh for sure! you're actually encouraged to use the same related over as many modules as you can because there's less texts to remember. :-) exploring transitions and discovery is almost the same thing anyways hahaha just replace discovery with transition 😜

that's sweet then! ill use that

ATAR Goal 90

blasonduo

• HSC Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Schrodinger waved while Heisenberg didn't?
« Reply #194 on: October 08, 2017, 03:06:31 pm »
that's sweet then! ill use that

Just to add, although Transitions are VERY similar to discoveries,  just changing the word "discovers" to "transitions"  could in some cases really devalue your analysis, but I agree, using the same text for discovery and transitions is a very good idea, just make sure you are able to restructure it. :)
2018: UNSW B science (physics)/B education

Kicking myself into gear

HSC Physics Topics 1 & 2 Exam!