Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 06:52:30 pm

Author Topic: What are you studying in maths atm?  (Read 12210 times)

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
What are you studying in maths atm?
« on: August 31, 2018, 10:15:38 am »
Keep us up to date with what you're studying, and how you're finding it. :)

You can use this thread as a bit of a journal. Let us know which areas of maths you're finding interesting, which ones you hate, and which ones you find trickiest!

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

tomatosauce

• Forum Obsessive
  • Masters degree in Procrastination
  • Respect: +115
Re: What are you studying in maths atm?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2018, 05:32:11 pm »
+6
We have just finished Index Laws & Surds... HOLY CRAP... sooooo hard! All the same... you'll probably say I'm crazy but I loved (almost) every bit of it! Our teacher was really sick... (in hospital) so that only added to it... but he is an incredible teacher and videoed a heap of lessons so we could keep up and teach ourselves... I got 79.69% in the test... kinda low for me but considering how hard it was... meh :-\ not too stressed! We are about to start our next topic... the teacher says it'll be much easier... so here's hoping! ;)
Someone told me to grow up yesterday. I immediately banned that person from ever riding my unicorn!
Class of 2020 graduate... if I ever get there! :D
Year 11 - 2019:
English, Math Methods, VET Business 3/4, Legal Studies and Accounting

Year 12 - 2020:
English, VET Accounting 3/4, Math Methods, Legal Studies and VCE Accounting

2021: Chartered Accountant ;)

Natnael Gizaw

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2018, 11:41:25 pm »
+5
For advanced maths were learning about the trig functions and the unit circle and personally i'm enjoying it. Primarily because of how it can be applied to many real world situations (particle motion, oceanography etc) and how unique it is compared to other math topics. So far Its not that difficult although some of the concepts are hard to grasp at first,, I'm not a math person but so far, Im enjoying it and I hope this relationship with maths endures untill year 12.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 07:52:04 am by Natnael Gizaw »

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2018, 10:21:23 am »
We have just finished Index Laws & Surds... HOLY CRAP... sooooo hard! All the same... you'll probably say I'm crazy but I loved (almost) every bit of it! Our teacher was really sick... (in hospital) so that only added to it... but he is an incredible teacher and videoed a heap of lessons so we could keep up and teach ourselves... I got 79.69% in the test... kinda low for me but considering how hard it was... meh :-\ not too stressed! We are about to start our next topic... the teacher says it'll be much easier... so here's hoping! ;)

I remember starting surds and just having no idea what was going on haha. To be honest, I can only vaguely recall what they even are. I'm really glad you're enjoying it, though - that's fantastic. Your teacher sounds like a legend. What's your next topic?

For advanced maths were learning about the trig functions and the unit circle and personally i'm enjoying it. Primarily because of how it can be applied to many real world situations (particle motion, oceanography etc) and how unique it is compared to other math topics. So far Its not that difficult although some of the concepts are hard to grasp at first,, I'm not a math person but so far, Im enjoying it and I hope this relationship with maths endures untill year 12.

Welcome to ATAR Notes - really great to have you here. :)

What type of maths are you thinking of studying in VCE at this stage?

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2018, 01:07:31 pm »
+2

I remember doing that test, and losing a mark because I wrote square root of 9 and didn't simplify to 3 :/
You'll get lots of opportunities to apply index laws in the future, and after a while they become as familiar and easy as addition or subtraction :)

Great to hear that you're loving it! Trig is soooo sooo important for maths later on and lots of people struggle(d) with it (definitely including me for a while). Great to hear that you have such a positive outlook as well :)

Maths is my worst subject (ok, probably if I studied art that would be my worst instead) but it can be so interesting sometimes!

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2019, 05:02:38 pm »
+1
In Advanced Maths, there is some optional extension about circle theorems at the moment. I struggled the most with my circle theorems test out of all the topics we have done in Term One. (Those topics being trig, surds&indicies&logs, circle theorems and solving equations with algebraic fractions).

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2019, 05:04:08 pm »

Our class really struggled with the surds, indices and logs test as well. Surprisingly it really clicked for me. Our teacher also promised that our next topic would be significantly easier.

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2019, 11:56:09 am »
Our class really struggled with the surds, indices and logs test as well. Surprisingly it really clicked for me. Our teacher also promised that our next topic would be significantly easier.

Nice one. What's your plan for maths in the future? Do you know which math subject(s) if any you'll choose? :)

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2019, 04:40:59 pm »
+1
Nice one. What's your plan for maths in the future? Do you know which math subject(s) if any you'll choose? :)

I'm definitely planning to do methods but not 100% set on spesh. What subjects did you do?

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2019, 04:48:07 pm »
I'm definitely planning to do methods but not 100% set on spesh. What subjects did you do?

Cool! Think Methods is a good choice if you're keen for it. I did Methods 1&2 but then did Further 3&4 - have some regrets.

My 3&4 subjects were English Language, Psychology, HHD, Visual Communication Design, Further Maths & Business Management. :)

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2019, 04:53:18 pm »
Cool! Think Methods is a good choice if you're keen for it. I did Methods 1&2 but then did Further 3&4 - have some regrets.

My 3&4 subjects were English Language, Psychology, HHD, Visual Communication Design, Further Maths & Business Management. :)

How difficult did you find the methods content as opposed to the further content?

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2019, 05:00:55 pm »
How difficult did you find the methods content as opposed to the further content?

Definitely more difficult, but certainly doable. I personally found Further pretty intuitive and honestly didn't study heaps for it. Methods was more of a challenge and I (regrettably) don't think I really gave it my best effort tbh. Honestly there was no reason I couldn't have pursued it, but I lost confidence for whatever reason.

Now that Term 2 has started, do you have a new topic in maths?

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2019, 05:17:14 pm »
+1
Definitely more difficult, but certainly doable. I personally found Further pretty intuitive and honestly didn't study heaps for it. Methods was more of a challenge and I (regrettably) don't think I really gave it my best effort tbh. Honestly there was no reason I couldn't have pursued it, but I lost confidence for whatever reason.

Now that Term 2 has started, do you have a new topic in maths?

We are doing simultaneous equations at the minute (finishing at the end of May). There is also an optional unit about finance and calculating interest.

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2019, 06:18:07 pm »
My class just finished Trigonometry and I struggled so much with worded problems. I made a glossary of key terms but this still wasn't that useful.
Do you guys have any tips?

What's an example of a question you've struggled with? :)

Snow Leopard

• MOTM: SEP 19
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2019, 09:58:45 pm »
What's an example of a question you've struggled with? :)

I understand how to do this now because I asked my teacher. But this was one that I struggled with for example:

A television antenna is mounted on of a nearby hill. From a position 350 m away, the angle of elevation to the bottom of the antenna is 15°30′, whereas the angle of elevation to the top of the antenna is 16°20.
a. Draw a diagram to represent the above situation
b. Find the height of the antenna in metres, correct to two decimal places.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 07:45:32 pm by Snow Leopard »