Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 09:13:23 am

Author Topic: EBSS SELECTIVE SCHOOL EXAM HELP!!!!  (Read 18248 times)  Share 

bl283

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Re: EBSS SELECTIVE SCHOOL EXAM HELP!!!!
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2019, 02:34:39 pm »
Around half get an interview and top 100 get offered a place, but from what I heard a huge chuck of people decline a place at EBSS. That is because your subject choices are limited and also extended investigation is compulsory, not to mention the travel time might not be worth it.

I'm willing to do any subject to get into that school lol xD

Really?  :'(
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 07:43:05 pm by Calebark »

Stormbreaker-X

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +31
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2019, 08:36:03 pm »
Hopefully we will get some superiors this time :))))
Yeah we should. Superiors are easy to get if there is less competition.

Sounds like you have it planned out. Make sure you do what you like tho and not what the school wants to see.  :) :) :)

Around there, like I said many people will reject EBSS. That means we have a big chance, normally the people who reject are the smarter people, the people who always get superiors or the people at other selective/private schools.

Let me give you a tip, if you score high averages-superiors you should have a decent chance of getting in. Just make sure you don't get low or below average.

Also did you get into the interview at Mac rob last year? Is high averages enough to earn you an interview?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 07:44:02 pm by Calebark »

bl283

• Trailblazer
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2019, 03:45:55 pm »
Also did you get into the interview at Mac rob last year? Is high averages enough to earn you an interview?

Nooo :( but there were around 8 people in my year level trying out (2 got into Macrob and 1 into suzanne cory)

I'm worried about the mathematics test bc i did the free practice test yesterday from education.vic.gov.au and i got 33/60 :P

Yes hehe  ;D

Luckily EBS is less competitive compared to JMSS and the four selective high school.  :)

You said you did the JMSS exam? How did you find the science reasoning test?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 08:05:33 pm by Calebark »

Stormbreaker-X

• Forum Leader
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2019, 05:11:29 pm »
You said you did the JMSS exam? How did you find the science reasoning test?
The science reasoning is the one I am most worried about. There is no actual way of preparing for it, science is a huge field. The best way to prepare is probably to know the basics at most.

Suzanne Cory is only easy to get in at year 8 level, other years it is just as hard as others. Tbh Suzanne Cory isn't bad, its just difficult to get into. I got 2-3 high averages and the rest was average......DARN IT. I needed at least 2-3 superiors.

Yeah that is good!!! I think you are good at math and should focus on other parts of the exam.

Also how come you didn't try out for JMSS?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 08:04:36 pm by Calebark »

bl283

• Trailblazer
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2019, 06:19:11 pm »
Also how come you didn't try out for JMSS?

It's too far from my house, my parents wouldn't let me :/ and at that time i didn't want a career in the medical field  :)

It's going to be hard going through year 9-10 science books  :( :( (thank god i'm currently learning the periodic table at school)

Were there many people doing the selective school test at your year level?

I got 4 high averages and the 2 averages (our results are similar lol) luckily the numerical reasoning isn't on the test coz i got average for that  :-X

« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 08:02:55 pm by Calebark »

Stormbreaker-X

• Forum Leader
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2019, 07:11:46 pm »
It's too far from my house, my parents wouldn't let me :/ and at that time i didn't want a career in the medical field  :)
Oh ok, I always wanted a career in science and math. For some reason I never got into any selective school.

Yeah it will be, but if try hard then in the end success will come.

Yeah our results are very alike and yeah I got average for that as well. OH HELL YEAH, A LOT OF PEOPLE DID SELECTIVE SCHOOL TEST IN OUR YEAR LEVEL. Geez the competition is crazy.

Also superiors are top 11% of the people doing it, so that means we might not make the cut. *High/above average should be enough to get us in.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 08:02:11 pm by Calebark »

Hypebeast

• Adventurer
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2019, 07:17:48 pm »
Hi guys, did anybody here get an interview for jmss this year?  year 11 entry

Stormbreaker-X

• Forum Leader
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2019, 07:18:39 pm »
Did you study back then or revise? I mean for selective school test.  *High averages isn't bad, its pretty good*

I didn't go for Jmss in year 11, but my friend did and he got an interview.

Did anyone here go for JMSS in year 11?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 08:01:20 pm by Calebark »

Hypebeast

• Adventurer
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2019, 07:20:19 pm »
Did you study back then or revise? I mean for selective school test.  *High averages isn't bad, its pretty good*

in year 8 i got into nossal but turned down the offer with high averages and 1 superior

I didn't go for Jmss in year 11, but my friend did and he got an interview.

nice i got an interview aswell do u know what time and day?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 08:00:21 pm by Calebark »

Stormbreaker-X

• Forum Leader
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2019, 07:24:58 pm »
nice i got an interview aswell do u know what time and day?
He is going 18th July.

You should have gone to Nossal, its a good school.

Tbh I wish I got into Nossal, its better then Haileybury and that private school cost $30,000+
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 07:59:44 pm by Calebark »

bl283

• Trailblazer
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2019, 07:35:33 pm »
Oh ok, I always wanted a career in science and math. For some reason I never got into any selective school.

Hopefully we both get into EBS

Hopefully our hard work pays off  ;)  :)

Having at least 3 above averages would be pretty good

For maths i bought the "excel yr9 revision & exam book" and completed not even half of it  :-[ and basically tried to cram in the formulas whilst in the car on the way to the exam place xD
For english i had a private tutor who basically gave me reading comprehensions and writing topics similar to the exams each week.

Did you study?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 07:59:17 pm by Calebark »

Hypebeast

• Adventurer
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2019, 07:54:09 pm »
Hopefully we both get into EBS

i'm also gonna be trying out for EBS, is there and verbal and reading comprehension tips you could provide for me if so that would be amazing

bl283

• Trailblazer
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2019, 08:06:41 pm »
i'm also gonna be trying out for EBS, is there and verbal and reading comprehension tips you could provide for me if so that would be amazing

Hmm maybe completing reading comprehension practice tests to get used to the time limit?

[i also found the "Excel yr7-10 developing your comprehension skills" book in pdf form online,, (it includes tips on how to improve your comprehension skills) http://www.blake.com.au/v/vspfiles/downloadables/members/9781741250022_EES-Developing-Your-Comprehension-Skills-Years-7-10.pdf]

I hope this helps ^^^

I have no clue on how to study for the verbal reasoning test besides learning new vocab. :/

Stormbreaker-X

• Forum Leader
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2019, 10:56:20 pm »
Let's all get in to EBS and maybe we can all meet there.

The best way to prepare for anything is to just practice again and again, I mean you still have around 16 days to go.

Do you guys know anyone else trying? Except anyone here.

You would pass the exam easily with 3 above averages, but that would mean you get to be within top 23% of people doing it.

Lol that isn't too bad, I didn't study at all. Legit I just went there with whatever knowledge I had.

Hard work always pays off in the end, lucky for us there will always be someone who won't study at all. Those are the people at high risk of not passing, so lets all work hard and not tell people about EBS.

Exams are soon so get ready......this might be our last chance.

For previous years I didn't study at all.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 07:55:22 pm by Calebark »

bl283

• Trailblazer
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2019, 10:30:40 am »
Do you guys know anyone else trying? Except anyone here.

My friend goes to unihigh and she said more than half of her year level is trying out 😧

Yuppp  ;)

Yes hope we all can !! We got 16 days to go!!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 07:53:55 pm by Calebark »