Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 07:57:45 am

Author Topic: Post Selective School Exam Discussion  (Read 24948 times)  Share 

brothanathan

Re: Post Selective School Exam Discussion
« Reply #75 on: June 16, 2019, 02:01:56 pm »
+1
Hey fellow pursuers of greater knowledge(euphemism for nerd),

This is going to seem needy, but I really need somewhere to put out my frustrations. I’m usually smart at school and ace the tests, even got runners-up dux for my yr 7 cohort last year. I also did pretty good on practice tests and got all 5 superiors on the Henderson’s tests I did.

And then the real thing. I really don’t know what happened, it wasn’t my day. I went from getting 47 right on my Henderson’s practice test to only answering 48 on the real one(managed to shade in the rest). Other than the English ones, I absolutely bombed out and I’m really dejected. I guessed 10 qs for all the papers other than Reading(which everyone finished) and the narrative(obviously).

What’s got me even more worried is that during the Verbal reasoning test, I had to guess a few at the end and went less than 3 secs over. The supervising teacher came and blasted at me and said “that will be noted.” Does anyone know what in the world she means by ‘noted’. I really feel like they’re actually going to disqualify me or at least take my Verbal Reasoning out of contention(which is a shame because I feel I did well on what I did answer.)

Once again, if you managed to read that entire thing, good on you and thanks for caring. For everyone who did the test, I wish you guys the very best and I hope you get in(considering it’s almost certain I won’t).

Just some life advice. Please face your reality and don't dwell on your past achievements or end up being a d**ck or c**ckhead. Ignorance gets you to nowhere and the only end-product you will get is karma. Those who may seem less "bright" than yourself may grow into "smart" people. So even if you don't get into a selective school, make yourself a name. I'm guessing your 13? If so, make the most of the next 3 years to get your head on track.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 02:07:54 pm by brothanathan »

CurryCid18

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #76 on: June 16, 2019, 02:10:19 pm »
Just some life advice. Please face your reality and don't dwell on your past achievements or end up being a d**ck or c**ckhead. Ignorance gets you to nowhere and the only end-product you will get is karma. Those who may seem less "bright" than yourself may grow into "smart" people. So even if you don't get into a selective school, make yourself a name. I'm guessing your 13? If so, make the most of the next 3 years to get your head on track.

Harsh, but you’re right. I get what you mean. Btw, That stuff before was by no means trying to show off or try to classify my self as “better” than anyone else. I deleted that bit just in case anyone got the wrong picture. I was just trying to highlight that my preparation was pre gud, and then.....

brothanathan

« Reply #77 on: June 16, 2019, 02:11:19 pm »
+1
Harsh, but you’re right. I get what you mean. Btw, That stuff before was by no means trying to show off or try to classify my self as “better” than anyone else. I deleted that bit just in case anyone got the wrong picture. I was just trying to highlight that my preparation was pre gud, and then.....

Eat up the dust, move on.

academiicc

• Trailblazer
  • @notamiratho
« Reply #78 on: June 16, 2019, 02:14:47 pm »
that’s what i did as well! damn, it’ll be a miracle if i actually get in. what schools are you trying out for?

suzanne and mac rob, but i rlly want to get into suzanne since it’s in werribee, which is close to me  :-\ but seeing as everybody at my school put schs as their first pref and i literally flunked i guess i’m staying at my current school lol. hbu? maybe mac rob will gimme a late offer? i’d still accept it if they did. i’m desperate imao
yr10:
yr11:
yr12:

ATAR goal: 95

academiicc

• Trailblazer
  • @notamiratho
« Reply #79 on: June 16, 2019, 02:33:14 pm »
since everybody found the exam hard i’m wondering if they increased the difficulty somehow this year because the number of people trying out is getting bigger and spots are more competitive?? idk it was unbelivable, i didn’t think it was gonna he like this.
yr10:
yr11:
yr12:

ciaosally

• Adventurer
« Reply #80 on: June 16, 2019, 03:04:14 pm »
since everybody found the exam hard i’m wondering if they increased the difficulty somehow this year because the number of people trying out is getting bigger and spots are more competitive?? idk it was unbelivable, i didn’t think it was gonna he like this.

Yeah, that’s plausible. I believe that the test was much harder than the previous years, since it had cubics and parabolas. I’m trying out for Macrob as well. I really hope you get in :)

academiicc

• Trailblazer
  • @notamiratho
« Reply #81 on: June 16, 2019, 04:03:58 pm »
Yeah, that’s plausible. I believe that the test was much harder than the previous years, since it had cubics and parabolas. I’m trying out for Macrob as well. I really hope you get in :)

Thank you! i really hope you get in as well. now we play the waiting game i guess
yr10:
yr11:
yr12:

serendipity17

• Trailblazer
« Reply #82 on: June 16, 2019, 04:20:18 pm »
hi guys,

i did the selective schools test yesterday and here's how i think i did

verbal: alright, but i guessed quite a few
numerical: same as verbal but guessed a bit more
writing: a decent piece; i only wrote a page and a bit, had figurative language tho
reading: probably the only one i did well on; finished this with like 2 mins to go, found it quite easy
maths: i guessed SO many; probably failed it

so could someone please tell me if i have a chance of making it in? pls be honest :)

ps. i'm going for macrob , anyone else?

thanks a lot :))

serendipity17

• Trailblazer
« Reply #83 on: June 16, 2019, 04:52:30 pm »
Bruh same, you probs gonna get into Macrob, I probably won’t. Good job though!
thanks, good luck to both of us!

ProbotMelbourne

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #84 on: June 16, 2019, 05:00:10 pm »
ikr. ok those people who claimed that the tests were easy, were probably trying to cover up or act confident to avoid getting nervous or something because i know for a fact numerical can not be described as ‘easy’, unless you’re terribly smart to the point you can even comprehend those last 10 questions in maths
Tbh, Numerical wasn’t that hard, possibly the easiest of the tests(imo). Reading comp was easy but I can’t comprehend for shit so I did trash. Maths was pretty hard and I legit shat myself staring at that last question. Verbal was the ok one, and the essay is kinda a hit or a miss, wish it was analytical.

sippingtea

• Trendsetter
  • yes, it’s true i suck at math
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #85 on: June 16, 2019, 05:01:14 pm »
every question in numerical was literally a paragraph, was it even numerical at this point or reading comprehension
omg i just cracked up laughing

for_icarus

• Forum Regular
  • stay with me... 真夜中のドアをたたき :)
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #86 on: June 16, 2019, 05:06:26 pm »
Tbh, Numerical wasn’t that hard, possibly the easiest of the tests(imo). Reading comp was easy but I can’t comprehend for shit so I did trash. Maths was pretty hard and I legit shat myself staring at that last question. Verbal was the ok one, and the essay is kinda a hit or a miss, wish it was analytical.

Numerical wasn’t THAT HARD? You must be hella smart! Good job!
my goals
⎡Y10⎦ ✧  Methods 1/2 ⚬ Physics U2 
⎡Y11⎦ ✧ MM 3/4 ⚬ Phys 3/4 ⚬ Chem 1/2 ⚬ SM 1/2 ⚬ Eco 1/2 ⚬ Lit 1/2
⎡Y12⎦ ✧  Goal {98.00-99.95}
⎡UNI⎦ ✧  Ivy League

ProbotMelbourne

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #87 on: June 16, 2019, 05:08:53 pm »
Numerical wasn’t THAT HARD? You must be hella smart! Good job!
don’t say that, I found reading comp real hard though I finished it. It’s just my personal preference and I like numerical.

ciaosally

• Adventurer
« Reply #88 on: June 16, 2019, 05:13:18 pm »
don’t say that, I found reading comp real hard though I finished it. It’s just my personal preference and I like numerical.

lmao it’s the opposite for me. found the reading comp pretty straight forward and just died trying to comprehend the numerical reasoning questions. im sure you did well on the numerical reasoning test though.

sippingtea

• Trendsetter
  • yes, it’s true i suck at math
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #89 on: June 16, 2019, 05:16:40 pm »
here’s my situation now
i honestly feel like i flunked the test especially math, i just looked at the answers and randomly guessed. I did the first half for numerical and verbal but guessed the rest completely. For writing i did decent but didn’t really have a problem ( but if 3 quick lines of realising he trespassed is a problem then ok)
i did pretty good for reading. I honestly am so crushed seeing as though all my friends did pretty well. :’(