Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 04:08:28 am

Author Topic: 3 year VCE journey journal  (Read 1477 times)

creepycasez

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +6
3 year VCE journey journal
« on: February 19, 2020, 12:10:22 am »
+8
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 01:12:36 pm by creepycasez »

ashmi

• MOTM: June 20
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Living an illusion
  • Respect: +660
Re: 3 year VCE journey journal
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2020, 12:16:03 pm »
+4
Hi creepycasez! ;D

Welcome to the AN Journey Journal!!
Absolutely love how you are aiming high and your journal is something I completely resonate with.

I hope to make some new friends at my new school, and hopefully by the time I graduate I will have a good group of friends where we do interesting things together, talk about whatever we want without any pressure "friendship that has no borders" or something...

Totally agree with you here. Having friends that push you up when you fall down and constantly be with you without any strings attached are definitely the right people (well in my opinion). I'm pretty positive you will make these friendships! (Depends on the selective school as some are more inclusive than others from my experience). You will definitely make quality friends and friendships will form overtime.

Some people see VCE as some kind of competition, for example when I was in Japanese class one student on my table said "You're going to compete with kids from Japan in our class, how are you going to become no.1?" First of all, I don't see things as a competition, I see it more as an opportunity to raise the standard of learning if I were to even compare... but I'm not interested in other's performance, simply just focusing on myself as that's the only thing I can influence, the only thing I can change. So thinking about who's no. 1 or who's top really is irrelevant, and having experience of that in yr 9, it's simply not worth playing these mindgames... additionally, life is a personal journey,

This hits home really hard. A lot of competition occurs during VCE and I can totally see why some people see things this way, however, there is much more you can learn by helping others rather than every individual for themselves. Focusing on improving yourself is definitely number 1 and each person has their own goals so it wouldn't be very healthy to constantly compare against classmates. I absolutely love your mindset to this and it's quite hard to see someone that wants to improve of the quality of themselves rather than because they are forced too. :D

My VCE subjects (as of now)
This year I will be completing VCE unit 1/2 Viet SL on Saturday mornings...
Following year, Math methods, further maths, Japanese SL, English, Chemistry
Please teach me your secret ways of being able to handle two languages 🤣
How do you find the workload for the languages?

So, VCE is effort and stamina based, and also your ability to manage your wellbeing... AND that's why I decided to create a diary. Because, I NEED a place to vent, and at least I don't have to do it in real life, where some people don't want to hear my vents...
I mean, every VCE student I've spoken to, especially those with 99+'s have had stress problems of some sort... I know that VCE success is not going to be one destination, but more of a process, a journey, where it is about trying my best in every moment of my life for 3 years straight.

I used to watch anime, but it takes so long, and not very sociable to minecraft.

Trust me, this VCE journal is going to be one of the best things you have ever done in your life. Not only do you get to document your experience, you get to vent as MUCH as you want! (And people like me will listen to your vents). A goal is never linear, there are always obstacles in the way which makes it the journey it is.
What type of anime do you like to watch? (I need some new recommendations)

So exctied to read more future posts from your journal! I'm sure it's going to be amazing and super interesting to read! ;D

creepycasez

• Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2020, 12:43:29 am »
+5
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 01:12:52 pm by creepycasez »

Chocolatemilkshake

• MOTM: JAN 21
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +371
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2020, 06:33:52 am »
+5
Hey nice to meet you! I agree with Ash, languages are so hard, to do more than one is crazy but also super cool  ;D

Thanks everyone for the upvotes and Ashmi for your comment.  :) Haha, I didn't expect there would be people like you who would listen in to my thoughts. Thanks, I appreciate it.

Atarnotes is the best community and there will always be people here willing to hear you rant about both VCE and not related VCE things  ;)

The most stupid thing out of all, silliest would be me taking 1 whole hour just to look up and write in definitions for 30 Viet vocab that I highlighted from a reading text, and since I use an app dictionary on the ipad, I have to manually add in the vocab using viet keyboard which takes ages, and since its so boring, and I listen to music while doing it, but am actually worsening myself by using the music to delay my process of adding in the vocab. (I divert myself to the music, anime music is really distracting though for me, but I can't help it!)

Totally get this! I add in new French vocal mannually as well but always listen to music while adding them in/studying them cause otherwise it is too boring! You're lucky because you are still in year 10 (and have less workload from your other subjects), so I wouldn't stress too much about using one hour to revise vocab, as long as you are revising, that's already more than most people are probably doing.  ;D

Here's some a poem based on my thoughts today.

The so-called necessities,
study, exercise, friends, family,
You may think you don't need them
but it's only when you are deprived of one,
is when you realise you need them,
but you don't know why,
it's just what you were used to from the start,
is what you're used to now
it is knowing that these are the fundamentals
to perform and live satisfactory in a working-class society,
we all live in a society and we can't escape that.

This is also a really nice way to express your feelings  ;D
2021-2025: BMedSci/M.D @ Monash

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2020, 12:29:07 pm »
+4
Hey,

imo staying up that late to study is very very rarely worth it. Having the sleep deprivation makes it harder to concentrate, learn & remember which can become a bit of a negative cycle. You seem to be going into your studies and high goals with good perspective - I hope it all works out for you!

creepycasez

• Adventurer
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2020, 11:11:43 pm »
+3
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 01:13:42 pm by creepycasez »

ashmi

• MOTM: June 20
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Living an illusion
  • Respect: +660
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2020, 11:16:46 am »
+1
I am a shame to myself. rip me. I didn't complete all the work I wanted to do, I think I realised why...

It's 10:45 pm and I've decided just to quit it for the day. I'm trying to curfew at 11 pm, sleep I guess is important to me. Just as we need to eat as a necessity to feel energised, we need to sleep to feel energised. If I'm not going to sleep enough, then I might as well not eat enough... so just like about the poem I wrote before, you need what you started with in order to feel in control of your life.

Trust me, getting a good amount of sleep is definitely better in the long run (sleep > study). Not many people are really productive after a certain time, so you probably would be better having a clear head rather than coming to school the next day deprived of sleep. (I've been there and done that like many of us here ;D). You also function better and understand things better when you have had a good night's rest.

Today, after school, I went to the library, and just sat there doing nothing apart from flicking a few pages of the textbook and listening to some music. I spent an hour there. I didn't feel like studying, I don't know why, I felt as if I might have made my friends awkward or something... but it's all good, because I talked to him online again and he's responded normally. But from this highlights  when I get shame or sad, I just shut off for usually the rest of the day remaining, and my expression is hard to change, I look 'depressed' according to my friends back in year 9  (whatever that means...). I don't know how to change that, but if I were to be true to myself, when I'm sad, I'm simply as it is. Ideally, I wouldn't want that sadness visible on the outside to spoil my whole day,(gotta be happy around people) but it just does affect me in this case.
A good tip, don't study when you don't feel like studying. I know it sounds pretty obvious, but there is no point wasting your precious time when you are not in the mood to do something (it just wastes more time overall). It's like painting an art piece, don't paint when you have no inspiration, good stuff only comes from when you are in 'the zone'. Don't force yourself to do something that you feel like not doing it (it can be hard sometimes, but just take the time to step back and look at everything from a big glance). Don't worry, you are not the only one that 'shuts off' during a random day. Sometimes it just takes a bit of self-care, other times it's just taking a breather.

So then, my bus took 1 hour going home. Because I left late. So, I probably won't stay back anymore, I'll get too hungry and the quietness doesn't allow me to talk comfortably when I'm studying (I talk to myself when I study).

And so, I studied some more Viet, and for the reading, I finally ditched the dictionary and got things faster by just asking my mother. Actually awesome. Took 20 minutes rather than an hour lazying around on viet translate.

I did 2 math questions on discriminant that took an hour and I'm pretty disappointed at how long it took. Maybe I just wasn't focusing enough due to the sleep deprivation. I think so. And also, add on music to further distract me... not a good combination.
Make sure that where ever you go, that you feel comfortable in the environment! I personally study at the State Library and either go to the dome or open area where I feel comfortable talking out loud (also highly recommend going with someone who isn't from your school as it helps share different ideas). If you want good places to study in the CBD, message me and I'll send you a list of places where you can eat, talk loudly and study at the same time.
For maths, try to take the time to fully understand what you are learning. It might take a lot of time to understand, but don't rush learning (try different methods of expressing the content. e.g. visual diagrams, listening etc). Sleep is definitely something you really need a good amount of! (It helps overall)

I hope that you are going alright and it sounds like you have made progress. Any progress at all is better than nothing so don't give up! You are doing great already and it is only the start of the new year so don't exhaust yourself too much. ;D (By the way, I'm loving these poems!)

creepycasez

• Adventurer
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2020, 02:45:19 pm »
+2
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 01:13:57 pm by creepycasez »

Ionic Doc

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +212
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2020, 03:23:08 pm »
+1
Hello everyone,

School is boring, and I got moved up to year 11 Jap. So I guess I will be accelerating 2 LOTE... it happened more cuz the pace of year 10 Jap was really slow in my perspective. (Not trying to be egoistic here, but I believe that I am much above average compared to my fellow peers - they can't even make sentences... ).

Where's their 3 years of te-form conjugations gone? Where's their adjectives gone? Where's their kanji stroke order gone?

I have a viet sac this saturday and I'm going to cram the heck out of it.

I'm trying sleep consistently as well.

I've been learning vce kanji and vocab as that's probably what'll hold me back from the year 11s/

Woah, congrats on accelerating up in Jap. Great to see your hard work in your lote paying off.  8)
Also how come you're finding school boring? Are you not enjoying the content in your other subjects? 
2019/2020 - Psychology | Biology | Chemistry | Methods | Further | English
2021 - Science @ Melbourne University